Phillies Farm System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by willthethrill View Post
    I'd probably have to include DeFratus and Schwimmer in there since there's a good chance that they'll be in the majors next year. I guess it's how you're defining your group.
    I guess I think with the way Aumont is pitching that he's the "closer-in-waiting" so the other two are bull-pen/set up guys. Maybe I'm thinking too fantasy oriented here. They would both probably be in my 11-15 though.
    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Phils sign Venezuelan outfielder Carlos Tocci for $759,000. Article says close to signing but BA says it's done now.

The Phillies are on the verge of landing a highly regarded international prospect. According to major league sources, the team is extremely close to an agreement with Venezuelan outfielder Carlos Tocci. The deal could be finalized this week when Tocci turns 16. It is believed that Tocci will receive a 750,000 signing bonus, one of the largest the Phillies have…

The kid is just now 16 so who the hell knows, but it's a positive to see the team spend so much on a LA player. Seems Reuben is serious about restocking the minors what with the atypical draft and spending more for higher rated LA players. Usually the phillies LA strategy is more in line with their draft strategy. Spread out the risk with a bunch of 200-300k signings rather than go for the long ball with big name talent.

Comment

Sickles top 20 out today.

Top 20
        1) May
        2) Biddle
        3) Valle
        4) Colvin
        5) Larry Greene (?)
        6) DeFratus
        7) Aumont
        8) J. Rodriguez
        9) Schwimmer
        10) Franco
        11) Quinn
        12) Wright
        13) Garner
        14) Bonilla
        15) Pettibone
        16) Hyatt
        17) Galvis
        18) Tyler Greene
        19) Walding
        20) James
        21) Savery

Grades and details on each at the Link

Summary of the system:
        Graduations and trades have thinned this system out, but there are still a lot of things to like. Several of the Grade C guys are players from the 2011 draft who have higher potential but need to play, so this list could look much stronger next year once we see how they pan out. I'm not convinced that any of the toolsy outfielders are going to amount to much, and they need to start hitting or the new additions will pass them.

I'm pleased to see Franco, Wright and Bonilla so high. Not thrilled to see James so low and so many middle relievers on the list. I think Galvis is low. Of course I wouldn't have said that last year, so who knows.
        Last edited by heyelander; 10-31-2011, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Baseball America's Phillies Top 10 list

1) May
          2) Biddle
          3) Valle
          4) Pettibone
          5) Aumont
          6) Galivs
          7) DeFratus
          8) Colvin
          9) James
          10) Franco

I'm not a subscriber, but there are lots more details on their site. Quick summaries of BA's analysis and some thoughts from James on the PhuturePhillies site:
          The list is free for all to read here. The scouting reports are subscriber only content, so don’t copy/paste. I’ll summarize in one sentence the reports and I’ll provide my own th…

My thoughts: Last year I was thrilled with about 20 guys. This year I'm excited about the top 3. I'm bummed that neither of the cap busting prep pitchers from last year (Walter and Musser) showed much last season. The 4 athletic OFs that I liked most (James, Santana, Altherr, and Alverez) all had lack-luster seasons and Santana isn't even with the team anymore. Gillies and Gauntlet never even got on the field. Colvin took a step back and no one really busted out. Plus we've got a bunch of MR guys in our "top-n" lists.

That said... there's still time. I liked last year's draft a lot. Pointer, Hudson and Collier showed signs of life. Pettibone took a huge step forward, Rodriguez continues to put up excellent numbers. Galvis showed he might know how to hit, Franco played well enough to open people's eyes.

I'm looking forward to next season again but with fewer expectations and more curiosity.

Comment

Fangraphs Marc Hulet - Top 15 Prospects: Philadelphia Phillies

write-ups on everybody and "the next five" at:
            The Philadelphia Phillies might not have a strong farm system, but it certainly is an intriguing one. Considering how much talent the organization had to give up to acquire the likes of Roy Halladay…

1. May
            2. Biddle
            3. Valle
            4. Colvin
            5. Pettibone
            6. Franco
            7. James
            8. Aumont
            9. DeFratus
            10. Larry Greene
            Write-up on Franco since I haven't posted much about him:

6. Maikel Franco, 3B
            BORN: Aug. 26, 1992
            EXPERIENCE: Two seasons
            ACQUIRED: 2010 international free agent
            2010-11 TOP 10 RANKING: Off

SCOUTING REPORT: The breakout hitting prospect of the year, Franco wasn’t on anyone’s radar entering the 2011 season. He showed a solid eye at the plate and displayed good power potential, although he’s still learning to drive the ball consistently. Franco doesn’t exactly have an athletic body but he plays the position well and has a strong arm.

YEAR IN REVIEW: Franco did not turn 19 until part way through 2011, making his numbers all that more impressive. He hit for average and for gap power in short-season ball, while also showing a solid eye at the plate (10.9 BB%). He didn’t perform well during a late-season promotion to low-A.

YEAR AHEAD: The third baseman will take another shot at low-A in 2012 and he should spend the entire season there working on driving the ball. The organization lacks third base depth so another strong year could increase Franco’s hype.

CAREER OUTLOOK: Franco has the potential to be at least average on both defense and at the plate. He will have to watch his conditioning, though, as he’s already thick through the trunk. He’ll also need to see his power translate from gap to over-the-fence power if he’s going to be an everyday player at the hot corner.

Comment

The Phils left James exposed in the Rule V draft -- and he wasn't taken*. So I suspect management ranks him closer to where Sickels has him than where the other lists have him.

* - For which we can thank the Astros for firing Ed Wade. If Wade was still there, you know the Astros would have grabbed James.
              Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
              We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

James is a converted pitcher so he's only been an every day player for 2 seasons now. Because of that, he's behind in his development and old for his competition. I'm glad he will get another year of development in the Phillies' system before they have to make a decision on him.

Comment

Ryan Madson signed a 1 year deal with the Reds, which means another part of the Phillies 2012 draft puzzle has been completed. See the updates below for the clarification of the picks the Phillies …

Ryan Madson signed a 1 year deal with the Reds, which means another part of the Phillies 2012 draft puzzle has been completed. Under the new CBA, the Phillies will receive pick #14 and also receive a sandwich pick somewhere in the 30s. The Reds, originally scheduled to pick at #14, will keep their pick, but it becomes #15. The Phillies lost their first round pick (#31) when they signed Jon Papelbon. In the end, they end up getting the guy they wanted, plus moving up 17 spots in the first round, plus they receive a sandwich pick. So it worked out okay when it comes to the draft.
                  Updated:
                  Update #3 —> It appears the Phillies weren’t so lucky, and instead will now receive the pick before the Reds second round pick, as well as a sandwich pick. The sandwich pick will be in the 30s, and the pick from the Reds will likely be #72. That’s a bummer.
                  Last edited by heyelander; 01-11-2012, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Apparently not much left... most people are rating the phillies system around 25th in the league now following all the trades. Keith Law just came out with his top 100 prospects (espn insider, so no link from me) and only May (76) made the list.

I still like a bunch of the young guys (which is what you get when you keep trading away any established higher level guys I guess.)

Comment

Give the system a year to mature. They sold off so much talent to sustain their playoff runs. Look at the guys they traded away that are ranked high: Gose, D'Arnud, Singleton, Santana, probably someone else that I can't think of.

I think that there's a lot of talent at the class A level. And I think that Biddle and Rodriguez are legit arms that will crack the top 100 next year.

Comment

Cosart, Drabek...

Yeah, I started writing up what I hoped the top 10 would look like a year from now, but decided that was silly. Once players get assigned I'll do another level by level write-up this year, but there's a ton of guys I'm curious to see this season. Just off the top of my head I could list probably 30-35 guys who I want to watch this year and any of them could be top 10 next year.

Comment

phuturephillies.com's top 30 Phillies prospects:

Well, it’s that time of year. I’ve spent all winter studying the prospects in the Phillies system (sort of), we’ve conducted the Reader Top 30 and given you your say, and now it&#…

Dude is really excited about Roman Quinn.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                            phuturephillies.com's top 30 Phillies prospects:

Well, it’s that time of year. I’ve spent all winter studying the prospects in the Phillies system (sort of), we’ve conducted the Reader Top 30 and given you your say, and now it&#…

Dude is really excited about Roman Quinn.
                            Amazing stuff there. If that doesn't get you geeked...

Hopefully we will have a solid top 10 next year rather than a top 3 or 4 and a whole mess of ???

Comment

I wish I could put these side by side like they are on the PP site, but this is very pretty to see. The first is Aumont's fastball, the second is the change/splitter pitch that he is working on...

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                                Hopefully we will have a solid top 10 next year rather than a top 3 or 4 and a whole mess of ???
                                That's a product of trading a lot of the top guys away. They always seem to replenish them eventually.

Comment

Working...
                                X