Sometimes the snake gets bitten...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sometimes the snake gets bitten...

One of the offseason's biggest free agents is leaving baseball's most notorious agency.  Carlos Beltran has switched from the Boras …

Yeah, that 119 million dollar contract that Boras got for Beltran was certainly substandard. Good luck to Lazano satisfying this guy...an injury prone, 34 YO is not going to be a 20 million dollar a year player.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
      Yeah, that 119 million dollar contract that Boras got for Beltran was certainly substandard. Good luck to Lazano satisfying this guy...an injury prone, 34 YO is not going to be a 20 million dollar a year player.
      You have no idea why he switched so I do understand what you are saying and my guess is you don't either.
      I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
        You have no idea why he switched so I do understand what you are saying and my guess is you don't either.
        and I don't understand what you are saying.
        I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

I'll cut CB some slack. Maybe he expected Boras to hold him out. We never know how much the deal is what the player wants, and what the agent pushes.

J
          Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
            I'll cut CB some slack. Maybe he expected Boras to hold him out. We never know how much the deal is what the player wants, and what the agent pushes.

J
            That's my point. I think Horns is being too hasty to bash Beltran when we have no idea why he left Boras. Besides don't we slam players for switching to Boras, not away from him? Damned if you do damned if you don't. Tough room.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

That's my point. I think Horns is being too hasty to bash Beltran when we have no idea why he left Boras. Besides don't we slam players for switching to Boras, not away from him? Damned if you do damned if you don't. Tough room.
              Jeesus Buck, lighten up. I'm not bashing Beltran, I just think that he's being a bit ungrateful to a guy who got him a mega deal that he probably didn't deserve, and certainly didn't earn. Like him or not, Boras is the gold standard for agents, and if I had a son who was at that level, I'd do everything in my power to make sure that Boras represented him.

Now is Lazano any good? Don't know...don't really care. But if Beltran thinks that he's going to get half of what he got from the Mets, I think that he's going to be in for a rude awakening.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Jeesus Buck, lighten up. I'm not bashing Beltran, I just think that he's being a bit ungrateful to a guy who got him a mega deal that he probably didn't deserve, and certainly didn't earn. Like him or not, Boras is the gold standard for agents, and if I had a son who was at that level, I'd do everything in my power to make sure that Boras represented him.

Now is Lazano any good? Don't know...don't really care. But if Beltran thinks that he's going to get half of what he got from the Mets, I think that he's going to be in for a rude awakening.
                My point is you don't the specifics of why he switched. Hell, maybe Boras dumped him!

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

My point is you don't the specifics of why he switched. Hell, maybe Boras dumped him!
                  Well, I based my comments on the story posted. Which pretty clearly alleges that Beltran was the one who left...

One of the offseason's biggest free agents is leaving baseball's most notorious agency. Carlos Beltran has switched from the Boras Corporation to Dan Lozano's Icon Sports Group, reports ESPN's Jerry Crasnick. Boras gets a taste of his own medicine here, as he's well-known for taking prominent free agent clients from other agencies as big paydays are approaching.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Well, I based my comments on the story posted. Which pretty clearly alleges that Beltran was the one who left...
                    I believe they are also jumping to a conclusion without facts. Again, we don't know the specifics so I don't think it's fair to say that Beltran is being ungrateful.

Beltran switch to Lozano, why? We don't know, they don't say in the article because they don't know. He could have switched because he was dumped by Boras. They just ignored the whys of this story and decided to take a shot at Boras.

Look, I'm sure I'm wrong, but we don't know the specifics so all I'm saying is it's not fair to make a comment without knowing the story.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

I'm not sure what the ungrateful part is, Boras got his percentage of the $119M right? He did his job, he got paid. Maybe Beltran feels Boras has too many other players and isn't prioritizing him, not that Lozano isn't probably prioritizing one of his clients over Beltran too (Pujols). That's the part that I find odd. I would think Lozano's percentage of a potential $300M (unlikely) contract might pull a lot of his attention and this is probably Lozano's biggest off-season of his career.
                      Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on the list.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

"...relentless inevitability of Yankee glory." - The Onion

Comment

Maybe Tom Cruise wasnt available.

J
                        Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by TopChuckie View Post
                          I'm not sure what the ungrateful part is, Boras got his percentage of the $119M right? He did his job, he got paid. Maybe Beltran feels Boras has too many other players and isn't prioritizing him, not that Lozano isn't probably prioritizing one of his clients over Beltran too (Pujols). That's the part that I find odd. I would think Lozano's percentage of a potential $300M (unlikely) contract might pull a lot of his attention and this is probably Lozano's biggest off-season of his career.
                          Or maybe Beltran wants to "draft" (race car term) using Pujols. Lozano will know exactly who the offseason players are -- and what kind of cash they have to spend.

As for "ungrateful"... puh-leeeze! Boras got his take and so did Beltran. Beltran seems so unlikely to be the ungrateful type. More the overly religious, quiet type with a degenerative knee condition. Mets did great to flip him for Wheeler, but should have traded him years earlier.

Comment

All agents are sleazy, but this is really over and above. Scary read...

With Lozano, that question is always there. Through the years, he has told clients and colleagues that his career began in 1990 as a kid fresh out of USC, where he played Division I ball and earned a law degree. Every part of that sentence is false. Lozano never passed the bar, never went to law school, didn't even earn an undergraduate degree. He told USA Today that he was just one Spanish class shy of graduating, but he once told a co-worker he lasted only "a few semesters." (He also told USA Today he dropped out because he was "negotiating the biggest deal in baseball history." He was referring to Mike Piazza's gargantuan Mets contract, which was signed nine years after he dropped out.) As for his boast of playing baseball for the Trojans? Longtime USC coach Mike Gillespie has no recollection of Lozano, and his name appears nowhere in a list of all-time letterwinners. It's not for nothing that, according to colleagues, people in the BHSC office took to calling him "Lie-zo."

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Working...
                            X