Pittsburgh Pirates 2012: the relentless pursuit of 70 wins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pittsburgh Pirates 2012: the relentless pursuit of 70 wins

It's been an ugly off-season so far for the Pirates, letting go of Ryan Doumit, Paul Maholm, Chris Snyder and Ronny Cedeno. Derrek Lee and Ryan Ludwick, acquired at the trade deadline, are likely gone as well. Garrett Jones will probably be non-tendered. The Pirates would really like to sign Lee but after destroying the NL in September I expect he'll have more enticing offers elsewhere.

Without Maholm, the rotation is James McDonald, Charlie Morton, Jeff Karstens, Kevin Correia and Jeff Locke/Brad Lincoln. Morton had surgery on his hip and probably won't be ready to start the season. The Pirates might sign a starter, but again, who are they going to get to come here? I've heard a little bit of EJax rumblings but I think he'll be too expensive. Chris Capuano? Jeff Francis?

The bullpen should be an asset with Hanrahan, Meek, Grilli, Watson, Resop, Veras, etc... I like Jared Hughes a lot, I don't really like D-Cutch.

The Pirates are looking at signing a catcher (Ramon Hernandez would be best, Varitek and Shoppacopter are also possibilities) and might sign a shortstop (J-Mac or Barmes, or even Yuni). If not, Mike McKenry would catch and some combination of Chase D'arnaud, Jordy Mercer and Pedro Ciriaco would play short.

Doumit, Lee, Ludwick, and Snyder are all Type-B guys. I expect the Pirates will offer Lee arbitration. Maybe Doumit too. Not the others.

2B is set with Walker and Alvarez will go into the season as Plan A for 3B.

The OF is relatively set with Cutch, Presley and Tabata, though Tabata is a little injury prone and Presley might not be any good.

It's going to be an ugly 2012 for the Pirates.

the title of this thread is an all-time classic.

I really do feel for Pirates fans ... then again you have the Penguins & I have the Maple Leafs so never mind.
    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

It's going to be an ugly 2012 for the Pirates.
      What else is new?

Comment

JC,

thoughts on why Presley might not be any good? I was impressed by him.
        After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
          JC,

thoughts on why Presley might not be any good? I was impressed by him.
          July: 70 AB, .343 AVG, 8.9% walk rate, 13.9% K rate, .407 BABIP
          Sept: 107 AB, .308 AVG, 2.7% walk rate, 20.9% K rate, .370 BABIP

Do I think he can be a high BABIP guy? Yes. Is he a pretty good baserunner and an asset in LF? Yes. But pitchers caught on pretty quick and started challenging him. So the most likely result is an empty .280 hitter next year.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
            The Pirates might sign a starter, but again, who are they going to get to come here? I've heard a little bit of EJax rumblings but I think he'll be too expensive. Chris Capuano? Jeff Francis?
            Clint Hurdle & Company will dig up Aaron Cook's lich and sign it to an incentive-laden deal...
            "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
            "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
            "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

please don't overpay for jackson. please.

Comment

Still better than the Astros. So there's that.
                Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

I thought the Buccos were making positive strides? That's what the management has been telling us.
                  "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                    I thought the Buccos were making positive strides? That's what the management has been telling us.
                    The Pirates are only in the 19th year of their 25 year rebuilding plan. Try to be patient.
                    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                      The Pirates are only in the 19th year of their 25 year rebuilding plan. Try to be patient.

For some reason, this image came to mind when you mentioned the state of the rebuilding plan. (Sorry)

Comment

The Pirates have spent some money in recent years on some elite-potential arms, like Taillon. If several pan out at once, then they're in business.
                        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                          They have a lot of talent on the farm, which is better than they used to have. Heredia, Taillon, Cole and some other guys could make a really nice rotation in 2014-2015. They still don't have a ton of bats in the farm system (Marte, Bell, Grossman) and unless Tony Sanchez remembers how to play baseball, they'll still have black holes at SS and C for the next 10 years.

They have a lot of pieces... not enough for a 90-win team but they're getting there. Unfortunately most of those pieces won't be contributing in 2012, so it's going to be an ugly season.

Comment

The Pirates signed Rod Barajas to a 1-year, $4 million contract. They have a team option for 2013 at $3.5 million. New studies of catcher defense have rated Barajas favorably.

I would have liked to see the Pirates wait for Ramon Hernandez.

Comment

Hernandez and his type A status is a tough thing to deal with. You figure the Reds are either going to non-tender him or do the offer and then trade him away for another team to then negotiate with him.

I'd love for the Rays to get in on the action for Hernandez or deal for Iannetta

Comment

Working...
                              X