Pittsburgh Pirates 2012: the relentless pursuit of 70 wins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
    New studies of catcher defense have rated Barajas favorably.
    Ask Phillies fans or Brett Myers if they agree.

With Prince Harry In one miserable season with the Phillies, highlighted by a failed block of home plate, Rod Barajas firmly cemented himself into the pantheon of hated ex-Philly athletes- just below Scott Rolen but above Wes Helms. In 2007, Rod hit .230 with 4 HR and 10 RBI in 122 at-bats. Yet, in his […]
    Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

2 years, $10.5mil for Clint Barmes. http://twitter.com/#!/SI_JonHeyman/s...71673369931776

I don't mind the deal, as the Pirates can use his glove and their internal options are a vast wasteland. Of course, exercising Ronny Cedeno's option for $3mil might have been better, but at least they have someone for 2013 now too.

Barmes is a dead pull hitter moving from the Crawford Boxes in Houston to a deep left field in PNC, so that will probably erase a lot of his power. Hopefully he can still bop a few... having Barmes and Barajas at the bottom of the lineup isn't quite so horrendous if they both hit 15+ HRs and play great defense.

Comment

2 years, $10.5mil for Clint Barmes. http://twitter.com/#!/SI_JonHeyman/s...71673369931776

I don't mind the deal, as the Pirates can use his glove and their internal options are a vast wasteland. Of course, exercising Ronny Cedeno's option for $3mil might have been better, but at least they have someone for 2013 now too.

Barmes is a dead pull hitter moving from the Crawford Boxes in Houston to a deep left field in PNC, so that will probably erase a lot of his power. Hopefully he can still bop a few... having Barmes and Barajas at the bottom of the lineup isn't quite so horrendous if they both hit 15+ HRs and play great defense.
        They may hit 15 home runs combined in 2012. That's just the way it happens it Pittsburgh.
        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

I'll avatar bet anyone right now that neither hits 16 HR, hit both or neither to win, if just 1, then we push.
          "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
            I'll avatar bet anyone right now that neither hits 16 HR, hit both or neither to win, if just 1, then we push.
            Hm, Barajas has gotten there in 4 of 7 years where's been the starting catcher. 15 HR is probably a reasonable expectation for him, so it's very close on his account.

Clint Barmes, on the other hand, seems fairly unlikely to get to 16 HR, unless he really plays A LOT. He needs to get about 650 AB to make that a reasonable bet. I doubt that happens.
            "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

It seems like the Pirates are pretty high on Nick Evans, a lefty-mashing 1B they signed to a minor league deal. If he sticks, they'd have an interesting pair of platoons on the corners, keeping both Alvarez and Jones away from lefties:

1B GI Jones/Evans
              3B Alvarez/McGehee

Comment

It seems like the Pirates are pretty high on Nick Evans, a lefty-mashing 1B they signed to a minor league deal. If he sticks, they'd have an interesting pair of platoons on the corners, keeping both Alvarez and Jones away from lefties:

1B GI Jones/Evans
                3B Alvarez/McGehee

The platoon seems like Alvarez and a lot of mediocrity. They need more than this at the corners to be competitive.

Comment

Originally posted by mgwiz22 View Post
                  The platoon seems like Alvarez and a lot of mediocrity. They need more than this at the corners to be competitive.
                  GI Jones hit .262/.346/.462 against righties. Evans might actually do a little better than that against lefties. It isn't great, but that ain't bad.

Comment

RotoWorld: Pedro Alvarez fanned all three times he was up Saturday against the Rays. Triple-A is looking like more and more of a possibility for Alvarez. He does have two homers, but it comes with a .174 average, 10 strikeouts and just one walk through 23 at-bats. He needs to step it up over the next week. Mar 17 - 3:51 PM
                    It sounds like it's time to start moving Casey McGehee up on the draft board.

Comment

The biggest prospect/young player hound in my main league gave up on Alvarez. If even he is not a believer anymore...
                      Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                      We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                        The biggest prospect/young player hound in my main league gave up on Alvarez. If even he is not a believer anymore...
                        Working his way back to AAA, now 4-for-30 with 13 strikeouts this spring

Comment

Erik Bedard named Opening Day starter today.
                          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Pedro Alvarez: 2 for 30 (both hits are HRs) with 15 Ks. With McGahee on the bench, how long until Alvarez is demoted?

Comment

Our Alvarez owner watched him on TV strike out last week and walk back to the dugout.
                              He said his teammates didn't even offer encouragment; it was more like a "dead man walking" thing, where it was pointless to pretend otherwise.....
                              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

So far the Pirates have been involved in low scoring games. Only once so far has a team (either the Pirates or opponent) scored more than 5 runs. Their 6-1 loss on Friday was the most runs they've given up all season. They've scored 5 runs four times and gave up 5 runs three times.
                                I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Working...
                                X