C.C. Signs Extension With NYY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C.C. Signs Extension With NYY

Figured this would eventually happen but glad this wasn't strung out and now the Yankees can worry about the other 4 rotations slots.

Seems like a "fair" deal for both sides and I appreciate CC for doing the admirable thing and not taking advantage of a gentleman's gesture from Cashman to bend the Yanks over a barrel. Apparently both men were gentlemen, nice to see. I was afraid I was going to have to be annoyed with CC.
    Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on the list.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

"...relentless inevitability of Yankee glory." - The Onion

Comment

Here are the details per RotoWorld:

According to Buster Olney of ESPN.com, CC Sabathia will earn $122 million over the next five seasons.
      The Yankees will keep their ace in the fold. In what amounts to a one-year contract extension, Sabathia will receive $25 million in 2016 while the contract includes a $25 million option for 2017 or a $5 million buyout. The 31-year-old left-hander will make an average of $24.4 million over the next five seasons, which tops Cliff Lee ($24 million) as the highest average annual value for a pitcher. According to Joel Sherman of the New York Post, the option for 2017 will vest automatically unless Sabathia ends the 2016 season on the disabled list with a shoulder injury, spends more than 45 days on the disabled list in 2016 due to a shoulder injury or makes at least six relief appearances in 2016 due to shoulder issues.

I agree, fair deal for both sides.
      I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by TopChuckie View Post
        Seems like a "fair" deal for both sides and I appreciate CC for doing the admirable thing and not taking advantage of a gentleman's gesture from Cashman to bend the Yanks over a barrel. Apparently both men were gentlemen, nice to see. I was afraid I was going to have to be annoyed with CC.
        So CC getting what amounts to an extra 50 million for the end of his career isn't taking advantage of the situation? My guess is that he reasoned that he couldn't get 25 million a year anywhere else, and took the best deal while he still had the leverage. But I agree that it's not bad for a horse like CC...
        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
        -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
          So CC getting what amounts to an extra 50 million for the end of his career isn't taking advantage of the situation? My guess is that he reasoned that he couldn't get 25 million a year anywhere else, and took the best deal while he still had the leverage. But I agree that it's not bad for a horse like CC...
          He'll be 36 when the contract is up. He's not the picture of health (or should I say fitness), but he is pretty much the picture of durability, though I acknowledge that could add up. Still, I don't think 36 will be the end of his career, and based on Cliff Lee's deal at two years older, I do think he could have gotten a little more in free agency but realized those few dollars weren't worth the negativity associated with opting out, especially if he really wanted to stay in NY anyway. He profited but he didn't get greedy, and in today's sports that qualifies as refreshing.
          Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Comment

Agree with much of what Top Chuckie said. C.C. could easily have dragged this out and squeezed some more money out of the process but chose not to and as a Yankee fan I appreciate that. Yankees have invested a lot of money over the past 10+ years in free agent pitchers that have failed miserably pitching in the spotlight of NYC. While maybe not as dominant as he was a few years back, C.C. has proven to be a #1 for NY and paying a premium for that given the surrounding context is well worth it imo.

Comment

I think the biggest positive in this whole deal is that the Yanks weren't forced to commit to him through his late 30's like so many of their other stars. There's no real dreading the future of this deal, other than the inherent injury risk with any long-term pitching contract. More years is the main thing I think CC could have used his leverage to obtain. I think his need to ramp up his conditioning will take care of itself at some point. He's a winner, he'll want to keep it that way.

Comment

Working...
              X