Draft Day Ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Draft Day Ideas

I know we're still months away, but I guess you could say I'm chomping at the bit!

Looking for some different ideas to enhance draft day! We're a typical league, auction style, 10 - 12 guys, keeper league. We used to do it over the phone, as we're spread out geographically, but now we meet in the middle for the weekend.

Any fun, unique ideas out there??

Cheers

We always have a league dinner with presentation of awards from the previous year.

We used to have poker tournaments.

Sometimes we'll go to a ball game, if we're in a city with a ball park and a team playing at home.

None of those three are very unique, though.

Following the "Airing of Grievances", we typically have the "Feats of Strength". This may involve seeing who can throw the best fastball, toss the most accurate darts, or eat the most crab legs.

We always have a business meeting during which we go over in advance any particular issues which are likely to arise during the auction. This is usually followed by extensive lying about who is going to do what, which player will be thrown first, which players will go for what, and which players will fall where in the post-auction reserve draft.

Comment

Strip Club
      "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
        Strip Club
        Fight Club

Comment

Originally posted by The Dane View Post
          Fight Club
          We do that, too. But we don't talk about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
            Strip Club
            ya, like my wife needs another reason to hate fantasy baseball!

Comment

Originally posted by weez1414 View Post
              ya, like my wife needs another reason to hate fantasy baseball!
              You need to win more. Since I spend all my winnings on my loved ones, they tend to appreciate my hobby. Of course, this year I'm springing for an expensive dog psychologist to help my little pooch with his issues. Then Therapy Dog training. I figured he counts as a loved one. I haven't decided what to spend the rest on, but all my female friends are lining up to get shoes, no doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dane View Post
                Of course, this year I'm springing for an expensive dog psychologist to help my little pooch with his issues.
                “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

My weak-ass leaguemates bitch and moan about the length of the draft..Hell it's one of the most enjoyable days of the year and some moan "it's too long" wah f'n wah.
                  "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Whenever I win, I splurge for a couple of dozen packs of Topps baseball cards the following spring.
                    Before the auction starts, I hand out the 5 or 10 cards I have of each owner's protected players.
                    Then at breaks in the auction, I'll dish out the "free agent cards" of players who have just been bought.

For some of the cool variation cards, I'll show them around as a joking incentive to drive up the bidding when that player is nominated. I swear, sometimes it seems to work!

For Men of a Certain Age, a fantasy baseball draft/auction takes you back to those giddy days when you saved up a whole quarter, and got 5 packs and a total of 25 cards for your money. For that reason, I usually also bring in an unopened pack for each owner. Fun to see some childish smiles on guys age 50+ and 60+!
                    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                      Whenever I win, I splurge for a couple of dozen packs of Topps baseball cards the following spring.
                      Who gets the stick of gum!???

Comment

No gum anymore.
                        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                          My weak-ass leaguemates bitch and moan about the length of the draft..Hell it's one of the most enjoyable days of the year and some moan "it's too long" wah f'n wah.
                          we finally booted the three owners that used to complain about the auction length....it's one day a year, and yes, it is going to take all day!
                          "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

We always do some kind of joke. This year I got an Adam Dunn booblehead and mounted it on a block of wood as a trophy (even changed the logo on the hat)----when presenting I will tell the winner that we tried to get a Lackey bobblehead too (yes, he owned both) but all the arms fell off!
                            Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Comment

Working...
                            X