Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would the fastest way to fix the Cubs be to....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would the fastest way to fix the Cubs be to....

dump a whole lot of money on CC and Wilson? Then just fill in offensive holes with mid level talent?

Would this make more sense than going after a Fielder or Pujols?

Dynamit or napalm?

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
      dump a whole lot of money on CC and Wilson? Then just fill in offensive holes with mid level talent?

Would this make more sense than going after a Fielder or Pujols?
      That was the Jim Hendry approach, and that simply didn't work. I think that they need to rebuild the farm system, concentrate on pitching, and be judicious about how they spend their money. Delayed gratification is probably the best to hope for in the long run...
      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
      -Warren Ellis

Comment

I don't know if they're really going to be able to put up a $150mil payroll. If so, then yes. Although maybe if they have that much cash to throw around maybe they should just buy out Soriano and Big Z and send them on their merry way.

Comment

If they are going to spend $200M+ this year, adding the two best pitchers on the market can't hurt. They are probably better off with CC and a mid-level 1B than Pujols and a mid-level SP. But not going after Pujols has a two-fold effect, it leaves almost no one to run up the price on Pujols, allowing their rival to not only retain him, but also retain him without over-extending themselves and sacrificing in other areas. Also, Pujols without the Yankees bidding could very well be a much better value than trying to outbid the Yankees for CC. I think the market out there will result in both the 1B's signing for a bit of a discount, while both the SP's will be overpriced.
          Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on the list.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

"...relentless inevitability of Yankee glory." - The Onion

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
            I don't know if they're really going to be able to put up a $150mil payroll. If so, then yes. Although maybe if they have that much cash to throw around maybe they should just buy out Soriano and Big Z and send them on their merry way.
            Stuck with Soriano. Big Z will never pitch for the Cubs again.

Some interesting comments. Thank you.

Comment

Stuck with Soriano. Big Z will never pitch for the Cubs again.

Some interesting comments. Thank you.
              Assuming they are still stuck with Z's contract on an annual basis, they've got:

Soriano 18m
              Big Z 18m
              Dempster 13.5m
              Garza's last arb year - let's say 9m
              Byrd 6.5m
              Grabow 5m
              Marmol 7m
              Soto's 2nd arb year - let's say 6m
              Marshall 3m

I don't see anything else significant but I might have missed one. Starlin isn't arb-eligible yet. Don't know what to make of Samardzija. Wells looks like he's still pre-arb. I am pretty sure they said Aramis is gone, he'd be $16mil if they exercised his option.

Those players listed above total $86mil. They have 3 SPs (Dempster, Wells, Garza), C, SS, 2B (assuming Barney is back), probably a full outfield (Colvin, Soriano, Byrd), and 3 expensive relievers. Figure another $9mil for all the various pre-arb guys and they're around $95mil.

If their budget is $130mil, which is admittedly optimistic, spending $40mil on CJ and CC puts over their max without a 1B. I assume Theo can fill the rest of the bullpen with cheap guys. But that's why I say they'd have to go to $150 to really sign those 2 guys.

Comment

According to mlbtraderumors.com they have about $40M to spend on free agents. They will need two corner players and probably a starting pitcher or two. So yeah, they'd have to up their payroll to make a big splash.

I still don't see why they don't try Marshall in the rotation.
                I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

It is my understanding that the Aramis option is mutual. The Cubs will offer it, he will elect Free Agency and the Cubs will get a draft pick.

So his salary will not be in the mix.

Comment

It is my understanding that the Aramis option is mutual. The Cubs will offer it, he will elect Free Agency and the Cubs will get a draft pick.

So his salary will not be in the mix.
                    Why would Aramis decline? Nobody is going to pay him $16 million otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                      Wants a longer deal.

Comment

If he's smart, he'll take the $16 million and then take what he can get next year. Dangerous game for the Cubs to offer.

Comment

I bet he can get a longer deal, third base is really thin these days.
                          I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                            He's 33. At this point in his career, getting 4/40 is a lot better than 1/16 and then hoping for 2/12 and 1/8 or something like that.

Comment

With Hoyer as GM and money to spend, look for the Cubs to be an active player in the FA market.
                              If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                              Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Working...
                              X