Keeper planning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keeper planning

Evidently, no one wants to read through the details. Here is the short version, these players are eligible for retention, in exchange for mid round picks. Consider the best to be pick #180, and add 12 per round, omitting #240 (this approximates the draft dynamics). Choose 7

Jarrod Saltalamacchia (Bos - C)
    Paul Goldschmidt (Ari - 1B)
    Anthony Rizzo (SD - 1B)
    Brandon Allen (Oak - 1B,OF)
    Lorenzo Cain (KC - OF)
    Brett Jackson (ChC - OF)
    Leonys Martin (Tex - OF)
    Zack Cozart (Cin - SS)
    Randall Delgado (Atl - SP)
    Sergio Santos (CWS - RP)
    Marc Rzepczynski (StL - SP,RP)
    Alexi Ogando (Tex - SP,RP)
    Drew Pomeranz (Col - SP)

FYI, actual ordering is based on Yahoo 2012 preseason rank, so the ones going back to AAA will be slotted last.

J
    Last edited by onejayhawk; 10-14-2011, 11:13 AM.
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Here is an example. Order is to be from expected 2012 Yahoo rank, not prospect value.

#180 Alexi Ogando
    #192 ...
    #204 ...
    #216 ...
    #228 ...
    #240 none
    #252 ...
    #264 ...

J
    Last edited by onejayhawk; 10-14-2011, 11:19 AM.
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Definitely
      1. Paul Goldschmidt (Ari - 1B)
      2. Sergio Santos (CWS - RP)

Possibly, Depending on Status
      3. Alexi Ogando (Tex - SP,RP)
      4. Anthony Rizzo (SD - 1B)
      5. Brandon Allen (Oak - 1B,OF)
      6. Brett Jackson (ChC - OF)
      7. Zack Cozart (Cin - SS)
      Lorenzo Cain (KC - OF)
      Randall Delgado (Atl - SP)
      Drew Pomeranz (Col - SP)

No Thanks
      Jarrod Saltalamacchia (Bos - C)
      Leonys Martin (Tex - OF)
      Marc Rzepczynski (StL - SP,RP)

Comment

If Ogando starts, then obviously he is a keeper, so that follows. I am surprised you do not have better thoughts of Rzepczynski. Granted he is not CY candidate, but he has the look of a good SP3.

J
        Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
          If Ogando starts, then obviously he is a keeper, so that follows. I am surprised you do not have better thoughts of Rzepczynski. Granted he is not CY candidate, but he has the look of a good SP3.

J
          Agreed. I would keep him over Pomeranz.

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post

J
            He's a bullpenner for his current team, and he was a failed starter for his former team. He's also a WHIP killer. Why would you want to keep someone like that? If you like him, I'm sure you can pick him off the waiver wire when your draft is over.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
              He's a bullpenner for his current team, and he was a failed starter for his former team. He's also a WHIP killer. Why would you want to keep someone like that? If you like him, I'm sure you can pick him off the waiver wire when your draft is over.

He K's a guy per inning. Good chance he will be a starter next year. He throws 50% ground balls and now has Duncan for his coach. His whip was 1.33 in 2009 (11 starts). It ballooned to 1.61 in 2010 (he had an injury in there somewhere). It was 1.23 for the Cards. He is only 26 years old.

This is the kind of guy who helps win leagues. And when he breaks out people say you got lucky with that one.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                He K's a guy per inning. Good chance he will be a starter next year. He throws 50% ground balls and now has Duncan for his coach. His whip was 1.33 in 2009 (11 starts). It ballooned to 1.61 in 2010 (he had an injury in there somewhere). It was 1.23 for the Cards. He is only 26 years old.

This is the kind of guy who helps win leagues. And when he breaks out people say you got lucky with that one.
                The following five are under contract for next season:
                1 - Carpenter
                2 - Wainwright
                3 - Garcia
                4 - Lohse
                5 - Westbrook

They may also choose to resign Edwin Jackson, who's a free agent. They also have Lance Lynn and Shelby Miller.

Where's the room in the rotation for Rzepczynski?

Comment

The following five are under contract for next season:
                  1 - Carpenter
                  2 - Wainwright
                  3 - Garcia
                  4 - Lohse
                  5 - Westbrook

They may also choose to resign Edwin Jackson, who's a free agent. They also have Lance Lynn and Shelby Miller.

Where's the room in the rotation for Rzepczynski?
                  Westbrook's numbers weren't very Westbrooky this year (although second half was better). I don't think they resign Jackson. I am a huge fan of Wainwright. His rehab is coming along well, but we will have to see what happens in spring training. That and of course the Cards said they were interested in him as a starter.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                    Westbrook's numbers weren't very Westbrooky this year (although second half was better). I don't think they resign Jackson. I am a huge fan of Wainwright. His rehab is coming along well, but we will have to see what happens in spring training. That and of course the Cards said they were interested in him as a starter.
                    you're right about Westbrook, but the problem is they're on the hook to the tune of $8.5m for him for '12.

Anyway, my point is that if Rzepczynski isn't announced as a candidate to start by the middle of spring training, he won't get drafted, and as such, does not need to be kept.

Comment

you're right about Westbrook, but the problem is they're on the hook to the tune of $8.5m for him for '12.

Anyway, my point is that if Rzepczynski isn't announced as a candidate to start by the middle of spring training, he won't get drafted, and as such, does not need to be kept.
                      I still like him better than Pomeranz who is in more hot water.

Also, why isn't Motte the official closer?

Comment

Pomeranz was picked up on the chance he would get an SP role. Ditto Scrabble.

I will say that the Rxerczynski deal only makes sense if he is a SP. They paid way to much for a LOOGY.

J
                        Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Someone who knows the AL or did their homework will grab him as a late round flyer. The Jays had holes to fill in their rotation MANY times last season. The problem was that Rzep was doing such a good job in the pen and they had noone else to fill the role. He was an AL sleeper last season and becomes al NL sleeper this season.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
                          Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
                          Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Originally posted by virgonomic View Post
                            Someone who knows the AL or did their homework will grab him as a late round flyer. The Jays had holes to fill in their rotation MANY times last season. The problem was that Rzep was doing such a good job in the pen and they had noone else to fill the role. He was an AL sleeper last season and becomes al NL sleeper this season.
                            My thinking is that it will not be all that late. Much depends on other players, of course. The deal they made to get him screams potential third SP, so we may go into ST with him pencilled in the rotation.

J
                            Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Working...
                            X