Interesting report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting report

Look at the BRS% for some of the guys when you consider the league average is 14%. If only some of these guys would drive in a higher percentage (Uggla) or have more opportunities to plate guys (J. Upton).

Agree. Taking Jay Bruce as an example though I think you can look at the data in two ways (a) opportunity in terms of runners and (b) conversion. For a player with a lot of opportunity but low conversion like Bruce should we be worried about regression (e.g. the opportunity doesn't present itself as plentiful) or additional upside (e.g. the 14% conversion bumps up to 17%)?

As a static 1-year view you can't really draw conclusions either way. Also, does this take into account where on the basepaths the runner is? Could be that some guys had more runners at 1st and others 2nd/3rd and if it's not differentiated the outputs could be a little misleading.

Comment

BT raises an interesting point. BABIP tends to vary around a core number. I suspect this does as well. Tracking it over several years would be helpful.

J
      Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by Big Tymer View Post
        As a static 1-year view you can't really draw conclusions either way. Also, does this take into account where on the basepaths the runner is? Could be that some guys had more runners at 1st and others 2nd/3rd and if it's not differentiated the outputs could be a little misleading.
        No, it does not. It also does not take into account the number of outs. Baseball Prospectus has detailed stat reports that breaks the data down into Runners on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, and how many of each were driven in. Ryan Howard, for example, had an MLB-leading 100 Runners on 3rd Base, while MCabrera had only 74.

Comment

Originally posted by OaklandA's View Post
          No, it does not. It also does not take into account the number of outs. Baseball Prospectus has detailed stat reports that breaks the data down into Runners on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, and how many of each were driven in. Ryan Howard, for example, had an MLB-leading 100 Runners on 3rd Base, while MCabrera had only 74.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/so...hp?cid=1043797
          Is there a metric that tells you how a batter fairs in various BR/out situations.

J
          Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
            Is there a metric that tells you how a batter fairs in various BR/out situations.
            Not really any single metric, but all of the splits are readily available. Here are Howard's splits in 2011, for example:

Comment

To be fair to Howard, he does tend to have modest leanings toward better numbers in bigger spots and in closer games.
              But a huge fan would be disappointed that the disparity isn't as much as he'd like.
              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/so...hp?cid=1043797
                I forget the sweet reports we have there....anxious for the UI changes to go through. B-Ref is so intuitive

Comment

Not really any single metric, but all of the splits are readily available. Here are Howard's splits in 2011, for example:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...&year=2011&t=b
                  Something to work on. Obviously a bases empty situation favors the HR hitter. RSP favors the average hitter. There ought to be a way to do at least quick and dirty comparisons. I know a stats grad student that might tackle this.

J
                  Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

My write-up on this today @ BP http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...rticleid=15308

Comment

Working...
                    X