2K12 Offseason: Minnesota Twins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2K12 Offseason: Minnesota Twins

Figured it would be a good place for people to throw thoughts out about what a team should do and also a place to keep track of signings and departures for respective teams. Hopefully others will start threads for their favorite teams.

As everyone knows 2011 was an absolute abject failure for the Twins. They have a lot of questions to answer during the off-season.

Everything for this club starts with the health of the M & M boys. Mauer needs to really train and condition in the offseason with the goal of being behind the plate the majority of the season. The Twins need to see if Mourneau is going to be able to play the field or if DH is going to be his regular position.

They have Cuddyer and Kubel as free agents, and Nathan with a club option for 2012.

If Mourneau will be DH-ing, they need to bring back Cuddyer.

I think they let Kubel go and decline the option on Nathan and hope to negotiation a reduced contract with him.

They need to trade for a SS and have Nishi and Casilla compete for 2B.

Reports are the Valencia is not well-liked by management or the clubhouse. Either straighten him out, or trade him.

Starting pitching is an issue...they need an ace and don't have one.

This will be a messy offseason for the Twins.
    "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
    - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
    - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Originally posted by In the Corn View Post
    Figured it would be a good place for people to throw thoughts out about what a team should do and also a place to keep track of signings and departures for respective teams. Hopefully others will start threads for their favorite teams.

As everyone knows 2011 was an absolute abject failure for the Twins. They have a lot of questions to answer during the off-season.

Everything for this club starts with the health of the M & M boys. Mauer needs to really train and condition in the offseason with the goal of being behind the plate the majority of the season. The Twins need to see if Mourneau is going to be able to play the field or if DH is going to be his regular position.

They have Cuddyer and Kubel as free agents, and Nathan with a club option for 2012.

If Mourneau will be DH-ing, they need to bring back Cuddyer.

I think they let Kubel go and decline the option on Nathan and hope to negotiation a reduced contract with him.

They need to trade for a SS and have Nishi and Casilla compete for 2B.

Reports are the Valencia is not well-liked by management or the clubhouse. Either straighten him out, or trade him.

Starting pitching is an issue...they need an ace and don't have one.

This will be a messy offseason for the Twins.
    well you were right about not renewing on Nathan ... it'll be interesting to see how much demand there is for him on the open market.
    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

I think that ITC hit it on the head in most cases. Everything hinges on Mauer...it's entirely up to him if he decides that he wants to be an elite player again, and at what position. Frankly, I'd like to see the Twins finally bite the bullet and put him at 3rd, and tell him that they'd rather have a .300 hitter with 25 HR power, than a .330 OBP monster. He had the ability to do that if it's called for.

Morneau I fear may be one of those guys who never get totally healthy, and a potentially great career could get wasted. Hopefully I'm wrong and he comes back strong...although I don't know that I'd risk him in the field at this point. Get a Torrellba or someone of that caliber to be a solid catcher and decent bat. And see if you could get Ramos back...JK, but what a horrible trade that was.

I'll disagree with ITC and say that Cuddy goes...he'll want way to much for what he delivers, and Kubel is better, cheaper, and younger.

Neither Nishy or Casilla are major league regulars at this point...and I don't see a situation where they can be. That doesn't mean that they WON'T be, and that'll be a huge hill to overcome if it's the case. And there's really nobody close to the bigs on the farm, so a trade would seem to be the best way to go. Wonder if they could get JJ Hardy for Jim Hoey? Hmmmmm....

I can see Nathan returning for a significant discount...blow the rest of the Bullpen up and start from scratch like the Cards did...nobody liked their young arms, but they ended up doing OK.

Starting pitching...where to start? It's time to cut bait with Liriano, and I don't care what he does elsewhere...he's a major distraction, as well as being unreliable. I couldn't even guess who's going to be there after Pavano and Baker...maybe Slowey shows up and pitches like we thought that he could?

I have Zero faith in the ability of Bill Smith to patch the holes...so I'll put this down ans a 75 win team, and a boring one at that.
      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
      -Warren Ellis

Comment

Cuddyer has been worth a lot as a jack of all trades. Other than Zobrist, he is probably the best hitting Util in baseball. The amazing thing is that his defense at 2B and 3B are reputed to be better than the guys he subbed for. Not bad for a career OF.

J
        Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
          Cuddyer has been worth a lot as a jack of all trades. Other than Zobrist, he is probably the best hitting Util in baseball. The amazing thing is that his defense at 2B and 3B are reputed to be better than the guys he subbed for. Not bad for a career OF.

J
          Well, consider the guys that he subbed for...

And his defense is really not any better than average at any position other than the OF. For a guy who's going to be 33 to start the season, I wouldn't consider giving him anything close to the 10.5 million he got last year. If he's willing to take a pay cut to stay, great, otherwise, he's simply too expensive for what he brings to the table.
          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
          -Warren Ellis

Comment

OK, the Twins made a great first splash in the off season by canning Billy Smith and bringing Terry Ryan back as GM. While he has the interim tag, I don't think he views this as a one season job. Every indication is that he wants to turn this around.

Payroll will be around $100 million.

I doubt they bring back any of the free agents, maybe Kubel, but Cuddyer and Nathan are definitely gone, IMO. Ryan wants the picks.

So far, I like what the Twins have done off the field.

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.

Comment

Why did Ryan leave in the first place? I don't think he was forced out, was he?
              Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
              We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                Why did Ryan leave in the first place? I don't think he was forced out, was he?
                Nope. He was simply burnt-out, as I recall. He also admitted he has a hard time seeing the guys that he drafted and nurtured leave. I think when Torii Hunter left it was last straw. He's talked about how he has reflected on that time and knows some things he would do differently if he had the chance. I'm looking forward to seeing him work his magic again.

Comment

Working...
                X