American League MVP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bob Kohm View Post
    It would help if there was a second and separate "Player of the Year". MVP is exactly what baseball wants and needs-- a recognition of a player for being "most valuable", with all the ink, bandwidth and hot air that discussing it entails. Subjectivity is the lifeblood of human intellect and interest. Why are so many smart people out to eradicate it from this game?
    Subjectivity is for sportsbars -- when players are penalized in HOF debates after their career because they didn't finish high enough in these subjective award processes, I care. The same people that criticize players for low MVP or Cy voting finishes are the same voters that thought they were being cute by giving some middle reliever a vote on their 10-deep ballot to be nice while a more deserving player got shafted.

Comment

"It would help if there was a second and separate "Player of the Year". MVP is exactly what baseball wants and needs-- a recognition of a player for being "most valuable", with all the ink, bandwidth and hot air that discussing it entails. Subjectivity is the lifeblood of human intellect and interest. Why are so many smart people out to eradicate it from this game?"

Agreed.
      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Just as I did with the NL, here's the WAR for the AL guys being discussed:
        Ellsbury - 8.7
        Bautista - 8.2
        Granderson - 7.3
        Adrian Gonzalez - 6.6
        Cano - 5.8
        Young - 4.0
        Cabrera - 6.5
        D Ortiz - 4.3
        Verlander - 7.0
        Sabathia - 7.0 (for illustrative purposes)

My vote goes to Bautista. A wRC+ of 182 (Ellsbury is 148) puts me over the top for him.
        "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
        "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

Originally posted by Long John View Post
          Verlander - 7.0
          Sabathia - 7.0 (for illustrative purposes)
          These are FanGraphs' WAR, which uses FIP instead of ERA. So even though Verlander has a 2.29 ERA and Sabathia's is 3.00, FanGraphs views them as equal because their FIPs are about the same (2.87, 2.92).

An ERA+ based WAR, such as on Baseball-Reference, gives Verlander an 8.7 to 6.9 lead in WAR.

Comment

If you use B-Ref's WAR, Bautista and Verlander are tied

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
              If you use B-Ref's WAR, Bautista and Verlander are tied
              That just means Fangraphs has Ellsbury's edge in defense over Bautista higher. That may or may not be right, obviously, as defensive metrics are what they are.

Comment

I don't trust any WAR system where non-proprietary defensive metrics are used, because I think said metrics are terrible.
                Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                  I don't trust any WAR system where non-proprietary defensive metrics are used, because I think said metrics are terrible.
                  then take fangraphs, b-ref, and BP and average them out.

Still pretty much plays out the same way

Comment

Originally posted by RSF View Post
                    That just means Fangraphs has Ellsbury's edge in defense over Bautista higher. That may or may not be right, obviously, as defensive metrics are what they are.
                    because UZR is a mess these days over there.

Comment

It can't go to a Red Sox player as they are split the vote and have been horrid down the stretch. I voted for Granderson, but by a razor thin margin. I'm in the camps of seeing the MVP as a hitters award, but if there was ever a pitcher that deserved it, Verlander does. What a beast he has been.

Comment

I wanna change my vote to Ellsbury!
                        I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
                        You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
                        "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
                        It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

Originally posted by SeaDogStat View Post
                          I wanna change my vote to Ellsbury!
                          Tony Pena is an idiot. How you pitch to a strong MVP candidate with a base open and Carl Crawful on deck is beyond me.

Comment

I'd vote for Bautista, as he's been the best player. I'm not sure I can see a good case for Granderson over Ellsbury, however, and the writers are likely to struggle with Granderson's BA (which I know is silly). Verlander may be second-best but I don't see the writers going there---in recent years they've bent over backwards not to look at SPs

Comment

Tony Pena is an idiot. How you pitch to a strong MVP candidate with a base open and Carl Crawful on deck is beyond me.
                              The Yankees had nothing to play for and by that point in the game Pena was probably told by Girardi to just play it straight up.

Comment

Someone on twitter said the exact same thing last night... you probably stole it from that @jasoncollette guy who is wicked smart!

I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
                                You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
                                "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
                                It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

Working...
                                X