Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baseball Prospectus discount

that's 20% off the normal price for those of you that are interested

I just bought it, and this is my first time.

I figure Kevin Goldstein has given me hundreds of hours of entertainment on the Up and In podcast, so it's basically a thank-you for that.
    Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
      I just bought it
      Oh, good. This way some of the money that I keep giving you in MSGL will find its way back into my pocket.
      "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
        I just bought it, and this is my first time.

I figure Kevin Goldstein has given me hundreds of hours of entertainment on the Up and In podcast, so it's basically a thank-you for that.
        shared this with him -- he enjoyed seeing this

Comment

I don't know if it qualifies as a "thank you" for Jason & Mike for your contributions here, but I re-upped.

Comment

We appreciate it!

Comment

Yes, hopefully you enjoy it.

I should have an article up tomorrow on catcher framing.
              "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                Yes, hopefully you enjoy it.

I should have an article up tomorrow on catcher framing.
                I look forward to it. Sparks another idea: PitchFX is still relatively new, so it would be hard to make certain comparisons over longer time periods. That said, did you ever look at ball/strike tendencies (i.e. strike zone) by ballpark, rather than by umpire? I wonder if there are statistically significant differences that might be affected by ballpark factors (the batters "eye", presence/absence of retractable roof, etc.). Could PitchFX tell us anything there?

Comment

Originally posted by Sharky View Post
                  I look forward to it. Sparks another idea: PitchFX is still relatively new, so it would be hard to make certain comparisons over longer time periods. That said, did you ever look at ball/strike tendencies (i.e. strike zone) by ballpark, rather than by umpire? I wonder if there are statistically significant differences that might be affected by ballpark factors (the batters "eye", presence/absence of retractable roof, etc.). Could PitchFX tell us anything there?
                  I would love to figure out how to do that. The problem I have is that each stadium has its own pair of PITCHf/x cameras. They each are uniquely calibrated such that you can't really compare data from one stadium to another. Well, you can, but you have to have some fixed reference point to compare against. For the strike zone, the reference that I use for comparison is the average plate location that each pitcher throws to. I add that up, and over time I can see how one stadium differs from another. Some of those differences vary significantly over time, so I can be pretty sure that's not due to the batter's eye, shadows, etc. But for the persistent differences, I have no way to tell whether it's due to persistent differences in camera alignment/calibration or due to actual physical differences between the stadiums.

Same question applies to differences in pitcher's mound heights from stadium to stadium.

Comment

Working...
                  X