X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foul tip causes sparks to fly?

Anyone else see this?

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big...rn=mlb-wp19467

When Avila was asked about it after the game, he had no idea what media members were talking about. Avila said he never saw the sparks, which shot in several directions as a foul ball slammed into his mask.

It is unclear whether the ball hitting the mask or the ball forcing two parts of the mask to rub caused the sparks to fly.

Yeah I saw that on the MLB Channel last night. Very wierd. I was also surprised after the force of the ball hitting Avila in the mask that he did not go down on his kiester.
    Bob- I'm not exactly sure it would ROCK as you say it Byron.. it may be cool, by typical text book descriptions. Your opinion of this is shallow and poorly constructed, but allow me to re-craft your initial thought into something tangable.

Comment

Who was pitching, and what was on that ball that was a, metallic and b, not supposed to be there?
      "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Kohm View Post
        Who was pitching, and what was on that ball that was a, metallic and b, not supposed to be there?
        I'd venture it was just two metal pieces of the mask that were forced together by the ball. Crazy visual though.
        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

i have never seen a catcher take more abuse from foul tips and errant bats in a single season than this guy. seems like every other game he takes one or more that he has to walk off.
          One league, 28 years, 9 championships. AL 4X4

Current Lineup:

Ohoppe 2 Rutschman 22 JRamirez 40 Dezenzo 5 Lewis 6 Semien 26 Torres 20 Hamilton 10 Tucker 42 Cowser 1 Meadows 5 Holliday 17 Andujar 10 Robert 28 P Lopez 8 G Rodriguez 5 Ragans 5 Holmes 10 JDuran 10 McArthur 1 Miller 6 Crochet 10 Crawford 1

Comment

Which makes his hitting even more amazing. Catchers take so much abuse behind the plate, it can't help but take their toll, but despite taking more thanhis fair share of hits and dings, he keeps hitting.

Comment

Working...
            X