League integrity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• League integrity

I feel like I am airing dirty laundry, go to post #3 for the bones of it.
    Last edited by wannabegriffey; 09-14-2011, 11:00 AM.

So, you guys actually approached this guy and asked him why he wasn't starting his closer? That seems like excessive nanny-ism and he is justified being pissed off, especially if he's an active owner who has finished in the $ in the past.

If the league feels there is collusion involved (what is a 'silent feeling', btw?), then that is a serious allegation which needs to be addressed but otherwise this seems way over-the-top IMO.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
      So, you guys actually approached this guy and asked him why he wasn't starting his closer? That seems like excessive nanny-ism and he is justified being pissed off, especially if he's an active owner who has finished in the $ in the past.

If the league feels there is collusion involved (what is a 'silent feeling', btw?), then that is a serious allegation which needs to be addressed but otherwise this seems way over-the-top IMO.
      As the transaction guy, I hear/read the grumbling. Nobody out and out says 'it', but I feel what they are alluding to.

The aruguement is this: if an owner left an active category changer sitting on his bench and this could create extra points for a direct competitor, thus dropping you in the standings, is this fair play?

I personally do not like the idea of forcing a transaction and I am trying to get a feel of what the bullpen thinks...

Comment

I think it all depends on whether or not the player being on the bench in any way benefits his own team. If not, then it's hard for him to justify. If a guy needs wins more than saves, then it could be perfectly justifiable to bench a stud closer in favor of a mediocre starter, but short of that sort of situation, then I think an owner is obligated to always attempt to put his best team on the field.

While not perfect, we have rules in place to attempt to motivate every owner to finish as high in the standings as possible, thereby hopefully eliminating the attitude, "sure, i'll bench my closer to help you out, i'm in 8th place, what difference does it make to me." A good league requires a combination of motivation and integrity, but unfortunately you can't guarantee either.
        Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on the list.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

"...relentless inevitability of Yankee glory." - The Onion

Comment

Originally posted by wannabegriffey View Post
          As the transaction guy, I hear/read the grumbling. Nobody out and out says 'it', but I feel what they are alluding to.

The aruguement is this: if an owner left an active category changer sitting on his bench and this could create extra points for a direct competitor, thus dropping you in the standings, is this fair play?

I personally do not like the idea of forcing a transaction and I am trying to get a feel of what the bullpen thinks...
          Missing some of the parameters but is it an ultra league where you can shuffle active players back and forth? Because I don't understand how he can sit an active closer unless it is a H2H league...

ETA: Good post by TC and I am with him on the subject...
          I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
          You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
          "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
          It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

The arugument is this: if an owner left an active category changer sitting on his bench and this could create extra points for a direct competitor, thus dropping you in the standings, is this fair play?

I dont know how you would prove it but yes it would definitely be a red flag to me. I would also ask the guy why he would be bothered by people asking him to do what he should already be doing, managing his team.
            After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

We do mandate in my leagues that you must replace any player DL'd or demoted to the minors or be subject to a fine. We never enforce the fine, a reminder always works, but it's there just in case. This wouldn't resolve your issue of simply not putting the best players in the active lineup, but it does reinforce our league's philosophy that you are always obligated to put your best active roster on the field.

I do not subscribe to the philosophy, "I paid the same as everyone else in this league, I can manage how I want." You are not obligated to be intelligent, but you are obligated to be responsible and to respect the integrity of the league.
              Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on the list.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

"...relentless inevitability of Yankee glory." - The Onion

Comment

My main league has a rule whereby you cannot start someone who is in the minors or on the DL if you have someone from the same position on your bench. Partly to prevent situations like this, partly to prevent teams with crappy pitchers from taking zeroes instead of ERA/WHIP hits.
                Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Working...
                X