No announcement yet.

LA Angels 2012 AKA "the logjam"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I give Trumbo around a .05% chance of being even slightly below average at third. He's got great power, but there's very little athletic ability that I've ever seen from him that would lead me to believe he's a serious candidate for third base.

More interesting are the reports from DiPoto that the Angels "might" or "probably will" tender Morales a contract for next year. He's the one guy I wouldn't be counting on if I were them, so it will be interesting to see what develops there.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
      Mark Trumbo will work with Angels bench coach Rob Picciolo this offseason to see if he could be a realistic option at third base in 2012.
      It was thought that the idea would go on the backburner after Trumbo was shut down in September due to a stress fracture in his right foot, but Angels manager Mike Scioscia broached the topic again earlier this month. "It is going to be explored," said Trumbo. "It (the discussion) was pretty cut and dried. He said, 'I know you've heard a lot of talk about this. We'd like to give it a look at least and if things look okay, we'll explore it further. If not -- no harm done.'" The idea is to find a spot for Trumbo in the lineup assuming Kendry Morales (ankle) will be ready to play by Opening Day. While this would be an ideal scenario for the Angels, Trumbo has limited experience at the position and most scouts believe he would be a poor fit.
      Related: Kendrys Morales
      Source: Orange County Register Nov 10 - 3:56 PM
      This was mentioned over the weekend in Phoenix as well

Comment

speaking of Trumbo, I was amazed to see on MLB Network that Trumbo hit two of the three longest HRs in the AL this season.

Comment

Is it fair to say fishboy is a lock to start in triple A with the addition of poo-holes?

Comment

I doubt Morales begins 2012 with the Angels. He seems like a DFA candidate at this point. And I'd guess Trumbo is bigtime trade bait right now, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodhizefa View Post
              I doubt Morales begins 2012 with the Angels. He seems like a DFA candidate at this point. And I'd guess Trumbo is bigtime trade bait right now, too.
              Morales seems too valuable to DFA. There's gotta be a market for a 30 HR hitter. The Cubs? Cardinals? Mets?

Comment

Toronto still wants a reliable 1B bat. Much cheaper than chasing Fielder.

Comment

Originally posted by Riff Raff View Post
                  Toronto still wants a reliable 1B bat. Much cheaper than chasing Fielder.
                  So does Cleveland....and one with power

Comment

Heard that they'll try Trumbo at 3b, and I'd guess that Morales is either DH or dealt. He should bring something decent back, although a smart club will wait until ST to make sure that he can actually play.

I'd also guess that you don't see Trout this year, barring injury.
                    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                    -Warren Ellis

Comment

Jeesus...I forgot that they still have Abreu as well. WTF???
                      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                      -Warren Ellis

Comment

The Angels have a log jam at 1st, and not much of note at 3rd.

The idea of Trumbo at 3rd just doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

I'm wondering if Chase Headley could be a possibility.

If I was the manager my lineup would look something like this . . .

1. Aybar - SS
                        2. Abreu - DH
                        3. Pujols - 1st
                        4. Hunter - RF
                        5. Kendrick - 2nd
                        6. Wells - LF
                        7. Ianetta - C
                        8. Callaspo - 3rd
                        9. Bourjos - CF

I like Abreu in the 2 spot ahead of Pujols, but Trumbo looks too good not to get significant AB's. If Trumbo or Morales gets the more AB's than Abreu, I'd expect Kendrick to move to the 2 hole. And if that does put him in front of Pujols he could have an absolutely huge year.
                        Comparing a Fantasy Baseball Draft to an Auction is like comparing Checkers to Chess!!!

Comment

Originally posted by kldub4life View Post
                          The Angels have a log jam at 1st, and not much of note at 3rd.

The idea of Trumbo at 3rd just doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

I'm wondering if Chase Headley could be a possibility.

If I was the manager my lineup would look something like this . . .

1. Aybar - SS
                          2. Abreu - DH
                          3. Pujols - 1st
                          4. Hunter - RF
                          5. Kendrick - 2nd
                          6. Wells - LF
                          7. Ianetta - C
                          8. Callaspo - 3rd
                          9. Bourjos - CF

I like Abreu in the 2 spot ahead of Pujols, but Trumbo looks too good not to get significant AB's. If Trumbo or Morales gets the more AB's than Abreu, I'd expect Kendrick to move to the 2 hole. And if that does put him in front of Pujols he could have an absolutely huge year.

I can't imagine the Angels playing a 38-year old Abreu over a 26-year old who just hit 29 HRs as a rookie (or a healthy Morales, for that matter). Callaspo had similar numbers to Abreu last season, so if it's OBP you're looking for, he might be your guy.

Comment

Revo,

What is your view on Trumbo, I just looked at his #'s and a guy who has a sub .300 OBP kind of scares me. Obviously the power is for real with him.

I think if Morales can show he is healthy in Spring Training, I think he would be the obvious choice, but I'm not convinced he will be ready.

What is it the Angels don't like about Callaspo, because his numbers aren't bad at all. I'm not familiar enough with his glove.
                            Comparing a Fantasy Baseball Draft to an Auction is like comparing Checkers to Chess!!!

Comment

Originally posted by kldub4life View Post
                              Revo,

What is your view on Trumbo, I just looked at his #'s and a guy who has a sub .300 OBP kind of scares me. Obviously the power is for real with him.
                              I agree on Trumbo - just not sure. His ML stats show him to be a .280 BA - .320 OBP type who won't take too many walks (he finished with more HRs than BBs!). That's fine, as long as he's not hitting .230. Obviously, he ended up batting .254 and so his OBP ended up being sub .300, which is not acceptable.

But 30 HR hitters don't grow on trees anymore, so I assume he'll get his fair share of playing time, either with the Angels or elsewhere.

Comment

I guess the moral of this story is just about every other team in baseball would like to have the Log Jam at 1st base the Angels do currently. They could find themselves in a very inviable trade position come summertime.

I see a better chance of Morales coming back to form and being a major factor in the middle of lineup than Trumbo. Also I think Trumbo may have more trade value as well though.

Comment

Working...
                                X