LA Angels 2012 AKA "the logjam"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LA Angels 2012 AKA "the logjam"

OK so how do the Angels set up their lineup for 2012?

1B Morales(arb) or Trumbo(not arb yet)
    OF Wells($21M), Hunter($18M), Bourgeos(not arb yet), Trout(not arb yet)....only room for 3
    DH Abreu($9M) or whoever loses 1B or OF

I heard they want to see if Trumbo can play 3B, which if he can helps greatly. However if he cannot that's 7 players for 5 positions. You can safely rotate 6 through the lineup without drastically hurting playing time...not 7

Options:
    Trade a young player for an equal value player at another position.
    Trade one of the albatross contracts in a bad contract for bad contract swap.
    Eat a large chunk of salary.
    Start the year with someone (Bourgos, Trout, Trumbo) back in AAA.

Any other thoughts?
    Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Originally posted by Grinch View Post
    OK so how do the Angels set up their lineup for 2012?

Options:
    Trade a young player for an equal value player at another position.
    Trade one of the albatross contracts in a bad contract for bad contract swap.
    Eat a large chunk of salary.
    Start the year with someone (Bourgos, Trout, Trumbo) back in AAA.

Any other thoughts?

Wait til Morales injures himself, the use the other six

Comment

If Trumbo sees time at third, I bet it's only in the event of an emergency. Scioscia cares too much about defense to let him butcher the field.

It should be an interesting off-season for the Angels. If I'm their owner, I fire the GM based on the Vernon Wells trade alone. A new GM wouldn't be afraid to deal off or cut some of those pieces to make room for the guys that matter (namely, Trout, Bourjos, Morales, and Trumbo). Hunter's been a good soldier for the Angels, so I don't see him going anywhere. That means whoever is GM'ing has to take care of the Abreu and Wells problems -- $30 million worth of salary for two guys who don't even project as starter-worthy for the 2012 Angels. Ouch.

Comment

It should be noted that if the Angels win their division this year (the Rangers are superior, but stranger things have happened), all bets are off. Then, during the off-season, the Angels may go out and sign Carlos Beltran, Mike Cameron, and Lance Berkman and ship Bourjos, Trout, and Trumbo back to Triple-A for the rest of their careers. Reagins is probably already drawing it up on his dry erase board.
        Last edited by Bodhizefa; 09-05-2011, 07:44 AM.

Comment

the should be able to trade Abreu pretty easy if they cover $5m of his salary.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
            the should be able to trade Abreu pretty easy if they cover $5m of his salary.
            Isn't he bascially a DH now? Who wants a DH with no power...or a defensive liability corner outfielder with no power making 4M?

Comment

Originally posted by fuhrdog View Post
              Isn't he bascially a DH now? Who wants a DH with no power...or a defensive liability corner outfielder with no power making 4M?
              Because teams like the Orioles, Rays, and Mariners exist?

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                Because teams like the Orioles, Rays, and Mariners exist?
                Mariners will be using Mike Carp and Justin Smoak at DH/1B next year as they try both out to see if they can be productive hitters in the long run. They have zero use for Abreu. And the Rays are too smart to want Abreu. Maybe the Orioles would want him if he came for free, but I doubt it. He's the Angels' problem, and I don't see much of a fit anywhere else. LA would likely have to release him or pay his entire salary to move him.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodhizefa View Post
                  Mariners will be using Mike Carp and Justin Smoak at DH/1B next year as they try both out to see if they can be productive hitters in the long run. They have zero use for Abreu.
                  You're probably right, but this is also the same team that trotted out the carcasses of Jack Cust (1 yr, $2.5m) & Milton Bradley for 330 ABs this season.

And the Rays are too smart to want Abreu.
                  They paid $5.3m for a similarly-aged Johnny Damon to DH for them this season. Keep in mind Damon was coming off just as crappy a season as Abreu is now, and many thought he was done. Plus, let's not forget they trotted out the ghost of Manny Ramirez as well this year, albeit for $1m. Still, the fact is they rolled out two 37+ players. I'm not sure how that makes them too smart to want Abreu.

I think you're selling LA short if you don't believe Abreu can find another home next year, especially if the Angels pick up a majority of his salary.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodhizefa View Post
                    If I'm their owner, I fire the GM based on the Vernon Wells trade alone.
                    If I'm the owner, I veto the Wells deal in the first place. Where was Moreno when that went down?
                    Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                      If I'm the owner, I veto the Wells deal in the first place. Where was Moreno when that went down?
                      Still on tilt from the whiff on Carl Crawford?

Comment

Please l.a., do not let fishboy break his rookie cherry. Sitting at 87 at bats, I'll loose a year of control if he reaches 131 at bats...

Comment

Originally posted by wannabegriffey View Post
                          Please l.a., do not let fishboy break his rookie cherry. Sitting at 87 at bats, I'll loose a year of control if he reaches 131 at bats...
                          19 games left. He'll probably play in 15, 4 AB's per game= 60, you better hope for walks, sacrifices.......
                          Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Comment

trout's at 106 ab's with a week and a half to go, PLEASE do not pass 130 !!

Comment

Mark Trumbo will work with Angels bench coach Rob Picciolo this offseason to see if he could be a realistic option at third base in 2012.
                              It was thought that the idea would go on the backburner after Trumbo was shut down in September due to a stress fracture in his right foot, but Angels manager Mike Scioscia broached the topic again earlier this month. "It is going to be explored," said Trumbo. "It (the discussion) was pretty cut and dried. He said, 'I know you've heard a lot of talk about this. We'd like to give it a look at least and if things look okay, we'll explore it further. If not -- no harm done.'" The idea is to find a spot for Trumbo in the lineup assuming Kendry Morales (ankle) will be ready to play by Opening Day. While this would be an ideal scenario for the Angels, Trumbo has limited experience at the position and most scouts believe he would be a poor fit.
                              Related: Kendrys Morales
                              Source: Orange County Register Nov 10 - 3:56 PM

Comment

Working...
                              X