Help with League Rules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with League Rules

In my local league there seems to be a difference in opinion on how to interpret a rule and I'd like to get some thoughts.

Our trade deadline right around the MLB trade deadline, usually a few days after it to let teams react to potentially losing a player. After that and up to Sept 1 you can trade with the team next to you in the standings.

Now the question is when do the standings count for this?

Do you go by the standings of when a trade is agreed upon or when the trade is effective? Here's an example.

- On Tuesday two teams are next to each other in the standings so they work out a deal that evening and due to our rules the trade will be effective on Wednesday.

- Wednesday comes around and those two teams are no longer next to each other in the standings.

What is the ruling, is the deal acceptable?

Our league uses the original rules with changes we've made over the years. Unfortunately there is no real book keeping of the changes made so I am not aware of when the actual ruling is for this rule. It's always just been "you can trade with whoever you are next to in the standings" with no mention on when it's effective or if there is a 24 hour period to trade or anything like that. This rule was in place when I joined the league.

What you your thoughts?
    I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

I would go with when the trade was submitted. If the league was informed on a day when the teams were next to each other, then it's fine. Otherwise it's impossible to know who you can be trading with at any moment.
    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
      I would go with when the trade was submitted. If the league was informed on a day when the teams were next to each other, then it's fine. Otherwise it's impossible to know who you can be trading with at any moment.
      Agreed. Standings at the time of the trade.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
      Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
      Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Thanks guys, I guess I'm over thinking the rules.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Who were the teams? It depends on the owners....if it's someone you like, then cool, let it stand. If they are pricks or if it will affect your team, then no

Trade is good
          I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
          You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
          "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
          It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

Originally posted by SeaDogStat View Post
            Who were the teams? It depends on the owners....if it's someone you like, then cool, let it stand. If they are pricks or if it will affect your team, then no

Trade is good
            It's in the AL and it's Ep.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
              It's in the AL and it's Ep.
              With Rick? Veto!
              I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
              You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
              "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
              It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

I agree. It should definitely be the time the deal was struck.

Comment

In my leagues, it is based on the standings at the beginning of the scoring period. When those standings come out on Monday, then everyone knows the two teams (one above, one below) they can trade with during that week, and they have one week to work out a deal.

By doing it on daily standings, there can be too many fluctuations, making it difficult to get trades done in a short time window.

Comment

Originally posted by OaklandA's View Post
                    In my leagues, it is based on the standings at the beginning of the scoring period. When those standings come out on Monday, then everyone knows the two teams (one above, one below) they can trade with during that week, and they have one week to work out a deal.

By doing it on daily standings, there can be too many fluctuations, making it difficult to get trades done in a short time window.

This.
                    Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on the list.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

"...relentless inevitability of Yankee glory." - The Onion

Comment

yep, oakland's is the way to go moving forward. For now go with the day the deal is struck.
                      I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Working...
                      X