To keep or not to keep?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To keep or not to keep?

I am in a mixed 10 team weekly head to head points league. Our scoring is as follows: Batters 1 single, 2 double , 3 triple, 5 home run, 2 run, 2 RBI, .5 walk , 3 stolen base.
    Pitchers 15 win, 20 saves, -5 loss, 1 K, -1 BBI, 1 INN, 5 CG, -5 BS . It is a 9 player franchise keeper league. The position breakdown is as follows. 1C, 1 1st, 1 2nd, 1 3rd, 1 ss, 3 of, and 1 DH any position player. 7 SP and 2 RP. The top players I am able to keep are as follows Montero C NYY, Pujols, Morneau, Pedroia, Longoria, Reyes, Pence, J.Upton, Heyward, B.Harper, Lawrie, Haren, Lester, Beckett, Papelbon.

So far my 9 choices are Pujols, Pedroia, Longoria, Reyes, J Upton, Lawrie, Haren, Lester,Papelbon. Where does B.Harper fit in? Who would you keep?

I would definitely keep Harper over Papelbon. In a 10-team, 2 RP league, closers have to be pretty replaceable. Lester over Beckett is close either way probably.

- Mike
    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Absolutely with mjl here

Comment

I agree closers are very replaceable. I tried hoarding closers this year hoping to trade one for a kings ransom and could not do it. Its just Papelbon is the highest point getter on the team which makes it hard to give him up. I am worried though since I believe he is a free agent at the end of the year, and even though he probably will stay in Boston who knows. What player do you think Harper will be comparable to? I wonder if he will become the next Delmon Young. If I remember right he was also a can`t miss prospect.

Comment

Do you guys agree on keeping Brett Lawrie?

Comment

granted that Papelbon is the highest scorer on the team but that's because your scoring system is kind of weird. I suspect that Paps is about the 8th or so best closer overall.

Lawrie sure looks good now and 3B isn't that strong. I'd keep him over an SP or Montero.
            In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Originally posted by canadianboy View Post
              So far my 9 choices are Pujols, Pedroia, Longoria, Reyes, J Upton, Lawrie, Haren, Lester,Papelbon. Where does B.Harper fit in? Who would you keep?
              Your scoring system really favors elite closers. If guys like Cordero, Nunez, League, etc are not scoring nearly as much as Papelbon then I think you should consider keeping him. I know it's crazy but he really has his mojo back this year. Harper would be the one to go - you're starting 30 outfielders in your entire league (maybe a few at DH) and it could be 3 years before he's a top-30 OF in the majors.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                Your scoring system really favors elite closers. If guys like Cordero, Nunez, League, etc are not scoring nearly as much as Papelbon then I think you should consider keeping him.
                I think their scoring system really favors closers, not elite closers. (Or closers with a lot of saves, which may or may not equate.) Given my quick math, I think Papelbon is at 761. A couple of "non-elite" guys who are in the same area: Storen is at 840, Putz is at 760, Nunez is at 716, Cordero is at 693, Santos is at 677. Almost the entire difference between Papelbon and the guys listed below him is that Paps is 4-0 with only one blown save; he and Valverde are the only full-time closers with fewer than two blown saves. I tend to think that reliefs wins/losses and blown saves are not repeatable stats (well, blown saves are if you're bad) but I could be wrong.

(Kimbrel, btw, has 955 points, Axford 922, Valverde 869, Wilson 820.)

- Mike

Comment

Your math sounds about right. The problem that also arises is since our scoring system does favor the closers so much is that the top closers are all kept.

Comment

I have to say that my thoughts were more in agreement with Jon Carlos. I think it will take Harper 2-3 years to develop into a true stud. If Papelbon leaves the Sox I would be less willing to keep him.

Comment

Working...
                    X