2012 keeper targets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012 keeper targets

With September callups around the corner I thought it a good idea to identify potential targets for 2012 for keeper leagues. In my experience there are always one or 2 (maybe more) guys you can get cheap that may really pan out. This goes beyond rookies, and includes the underperforming veteran who fell out of favor, injury rehabs and failed prospects who have been around for awhile, fallen out of favor and look like they may be on the verge of recapturing the magic.

To start off, here are players I am looking at (remember these are spec moves) in my NL only league:

Bogusevic--came out of draft as a two way player. Opted for pitching even though a potential 5 tool player and is now trying to recapture his "star" status as a hitter. Will contend for a starting spot in 2012.

Juan Rivera-off everyone's radar but still a productive hitter. May have the 2012 LF job in LA

Detwiler-#6 pick in the MLB draft who has been ho hum. Could he be putting it together?

Tyler Pasternicky (Atlanta's A Gon is a FA)

Todd Frazier--pundits are all saying Utility guy. Was a great hitter in minors until last year. This year, hitting again. Surface stats are mediocre but peripherals are excellent. Third base is wide open for the Reds.

Feel free to comment or add your targets.

I like doing these at the end of the year for my NL-only league team since I always have some farm spots open at the end of the year. I haven't done it yet, but I like looking at what starters are going to be free agents and then figure out who would be the most likely successor assuming no free agents are brought in (like you did with Pasternicky).

Rivera is an interesting case since the Dodgers do seem to like giving out contracts after players impress in limited time on the team (see Barajas, Rod and Lilly, Ted). Plus, it doesn't seem like they'll be spending in the offseason, so they might want to lock Rivera up at a discount rate. His upside is pretty limited, but if you can get him for less than $10 then he might be a worthwhile investment.

Comment

Working...
    X