Aaron Hill trade for Kelly Johnson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aaron Hill trade for Kelly Johnson

John Gambadoro of 620 KTAR in Phoenix reports that the Diamondbacks have acquired infielders Aaron Hill and John McDonald from the Blue Jays for Kelly Johnson

This looks like another steal for the Jays. We know Hill's time in TO is up and Johnny Mac is a spare part. That said, the fans love him and will be sad to see him go. However, we know have a prospective 2B for 2012 which is more than could be said this morning.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
    Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
    Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

ESPN has confirmed
      After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

wow, I thought someone had posted this in the wrong forum at first!

Interesting trade. How did Hill pass through waivers? He has all club options remaining, and is owed just $1m or so for the rest of the year. Of course, sucking badly does help that cause.

Comment

does anyone think a change in scenery would make Hill worth more than a couple bucks and a bag of chips in FAAB this week?

Comment

I don't know if he's worth more than a couple of bucks, but he could surprise.
            "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
            "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

It's worth noting that all 3 are FAs at the end of the season. Sounds like KJ and Hill have 6-week auditions for 2012.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
              Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
              Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Originally posted by virgonomic View Post
                It's worth noting that all 3 are FAs at the end of the season. Sounds like KJ and Hill have 6-week auditions for 2012.
                If the Jays were definitely not going to exercise the options on Hill(expected) than getting Johnson who currently is a Type A free agent was a really good move. Hill will end up as a Type B at best and could end up getting them no compensation.

Comment

AA is a smaht bastid.
                  Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

Originally posted by fuhrdog View Post
                    If the Jays were definitely not going to exercise the options on Hill(expected) than getting Johnson who currently is a Type A free agent was a really good move. Hill will end up as a Type B at best and could end up getting them no compensation.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...ml&widget=true
                    But I think there is no way they will ever get the picks if KJ ends up a Type A free agent. Coming off this down year (and the down year of 2009), no one will want to give up a high pick and pay $8-10M/yr for KJ. I think he will almost certainly accept arbitration.

Comment

Originally posted by OaklandA's View Post
                      But I think there is no way they will ever get the picks if KJ ends up a Type A free agent. Coming off this down year (and the down year of 2009), no one will want to give up a high pick and pay $8-10M/yr for KJ. I think he will almost certainly accept arbitration.
                      Quite possible...the Jays need Johnson to get hot down the stretch and showcase himself for next year. At worst, Johnson will earn in the ballpark what Hill would cost them if they would have exercised his option. I'd prefer Johnson to Hill and in a worse case scenario if it doesn't work out...they non-tender him or attempt to deal him and lose nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by OaklandA's View Post
                        Word is that if Johnson doesn't play well with Toronto they won't offer him arbitration. From RotoWorld:

Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com writes that the Blue Jays won't offer Kelly Johnson arbitration if he doesn't play well down the stretch.
                        Makes sense. For what it's worth, Johnson currently projects as a Type A free agent in the American League, which could potentially net them two draft picks if he rejects and signs elsewhere. The Jays will have to weigh over the next couple of months whether it will be worth offering him arbitration on the chance that he will accept. The 29-year-old second baseman is making $5.85 million this season.
                        I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

With the seasons that Hill and KJ have had, would it shock anyone if either player accepted arbitration to get a decent one-year salary and try to reestablish their market value?

Comment

Originally posted by willthethrill View Post
                            With the seasons that Hill and KJ have had, would it shock anyone if either player accepted arbitration to get a decent one-year salary and try to reestablish their market value?
                            Not at all. I think both players would happily accept. But arbitration may not even be offered to them.

Comment

Hill could hit a lot of homers in Arizona. I can't see KJ being offered arbitration. I like the Arizona end of the deal because I believe that they have the greater upside with Hill. This will probably end up as nothing for nothing.

Comment

Working...
                              X