Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thome gets #600

Nice job by the big guy!
    Gets 599, then 600 in his next AB. No long, drawn-out, follow every AB there.
    Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

And just like Jeter, he hits a HR to reach the milestone!

oh, wait...
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Great stuff! I really thought his back would give out before he'd get to 600.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Saw a tweet that the first 7 all had 100+ SB, while Thome has 19.

which doesn't mean anything, really, but I was surprised.
        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Classy, overlooked guy... figures he'd do it on signing day (so no one is watching) and in the AB right after 599 (so there's no time for hype)

He'll go into the Hall and he deserves to be there.

Comment

Well done Jim Thome*.

*Ah, big Jim Thome. He just "looks" clean, ergo he's clean. No questions asked. The over/under on syrupy articles written over the next day that will talk about how Thome "did it the right way" is hereby set at 529. And I'll take the over.

Comment

Favorite. baseball player. ever.

One of the reasons that all of my jersey numbers are always the #25.

Fred Biletnikoff is my favorite football player ever....coincidence? I don't think so.

Comment

Originally posted by griswold View Post
                The same here: favorite baseball player ever. I'm a lifelong Twins fan and fell in love with this guy fairly early on when he was in Cleveland. Whenever they came to Dome I made sure to hit a game with seats right on the first base line as close to the field as possible. Strangely I liked watching him in the field as much as I loved watching those towering HRs to the upper deck in right field. To me he is just the quintessential baseball player, from his overall look and demeanor to his play on the field and his weird little mannerisms. Plus he has always just seemed so dang likable and his interviews after 600 only re-enforced that notion. So congratulations to old Jim Thome, he deserves it.

(If it ever did come out that Thome used PEDs that would be IT for me . . . unfathomable.)

Comment

A better OPS and Adjusted OPS+ than A-Rod, Griffey or Sosa. Interesting to consider, given the difference in limelight.

Comment

I watch Thome come through the Canton-Akron Indians when they're Double A team was actually in Canton. He was very approachable and humble....unlike the Albert Bell's of the world.

I would certainly go to Cooperstown when he gets inducted.

Comment

I watch Thome come through the Canton-Akron Indians when they're Double A team was actually in Canton. He was very approachable and humble....unlike the Albert Bell's of the world.

I would certainly go to Cooperstown when he gets inducted.
                      Actually, I found Albert Belle to be fantastic when I met him in 93 in Spring Training. Lofton, on the other hand, MAJOR a-hole

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                        Actually, I found Albert Belle to be fantastic when I met him in 93 in Spring Training. Lofton, on the other hand, MAJOR a-hole
                        Yeah, I have a friend that also met Belle and thought he was a great guy.

I think sometimes players who are complex dudes come off as being jerks and a-holes, when it really isn't that simple for that guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                          I've actually met Kenny a bunch of times through work and he's been super personable each time. Maybe he's just chaned over the years.

Comment

One of the reasons that all of my jersey numbers are always the #25.

Fred Biletnikoff is my favorite football player ever....coincidence? I don't think so.
                            Interesting Griz you honor one that cheated and one that did not. Makes you middle of the road right?

Hey just my observation!
                            Bob- I'm not exactly sure it would ROCK as you say it Byron.. it may be cool, by typical text book descriptions. Your opinion of this is shallow and poorly constructed, but allow me to re-craft your initial thought into something tangable.

Comment

Originally posted by Piney Boy View Post
                              Interesting Griz you honor one that cheated and one that did not. Makes you middle of the road right?

Hey just my observation!
                              Why did Biletnikoff cheat?

Hey, just my question.

Comment

Working...
                              X