Unsigned Players: Deadline is tonight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
    Even though they're not going to contribute much, I think the Lee/Ludwick salaries are an investment in the fans. They'll get that money back in the ticket prices they raised for next year.

$5mil is probably a lot for Bell, but it's an opportunity cost. If he hadn't sent the letter, he probably goes in the teens and signs for 2-3 mil. The Pirates were only in that position because they got him with pick 2.1. Great signing for the Bucs though. They really need some impact bats in the system.
    Yeah those deadline deals were as much about PR as winning. Those trades were just an extension of their tv commercials.

It looks like they spent 17 mill on the draft this year. Since the Wieters debacle I have said I would not start caring until they started investing in the draft. It had been 10 years of pretty much drafting with money as their #1 issue and they sucked for it. Since 08 they have at least invested in the draft. The draft is often a crap shoot in MLB, but if you don't go after the guys who have the most talent you make it even less likely that you will succeed. Not that Huntington needs my approval, but this is another example of the type of draft a team like the Pirates need to have every year.

Comment

Pirates fans have to be pumped. Landing J Bell was not at all a given, adds hope. The stable with 1 and 1a J Tailion and G Cole matches up well against any organizations farm top 2 arms. Its all projection at this point of course, but future is bright for Pitts atm.

Comment

Originally posted by frae View Post
        Yeah those deadline deals were as much about PR as winning. Those trades were just an extension of their tv commercials.

It looks like they spent 17 mill on the draft this year. Since the Wieters debacle I have said I would not start caring until they started investing in the draft. It had been 10 years of pretty much drafting with money as their #1 issue and they sucked for it. Since 08 they have at least invested in the draft. The draft is often a crap shoot in MLB, but if you don't go after the guys who have the most talent you make it even less likely that you will succeed. Not that Huntington needs my approval, but this is another example of the type of draft a team like the Pirates need to have every year.
        Now more than ever, I hope their developmental system is up to the task. I must admit I'm a bit worried about it. The early returns on their past overslot guys haven't been great.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
          Now more than ever, I hope their developmental system is up to the task. I must admit I'm a bit worried about it. The early returns on their past overslot guys haven't been great.
          Yeah, it is worrisome, hopefully either the developmental system gets better or the Pirates draft kids that even they can't screw up

Comment

was Toronto the only club not to sign its 1st rounder?

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
              was Toronto the only club not to sign its 1st rounder?
              Yes, Beebe reported turned down $2.3M to play for Vanderbilt instead. The Jays will get a compensation pick at #22 next year. Plus, the Jays did sign Daniel Norris ($2M) and Kevin Comer ($1.35M), two players with 1st Round talent that had dropped due to signability issues.

Comment

If the radio honk I'm listening to is correct, Bubba Starling signed at $7.5 million That was KC's offer a few weeks back while Boras was stating it would take $10M. Big bonus no doubt but Boras not squeezing them for an extra penny has to be worth something. good work GMDM.

Comment

Originally posted by OaklandA's View Post
                  Yes, Beebe reported turned down $2.3M to play for Vanderbilt instead. The Jays will get a compensation pick at #22 next year. Plus, the Jays did sign Daniel Norris ($2M) and Kevin Comer ($1.35M), two players with 1st Round talent that had dropped due to signability issues.
                  I think it's a hugely successful draft for the Jays. Norris and Comer would not have brought back compensation, so essentially, Toronto signed 9 of their top 11 picks, with the only two unsigned picks resulting in one high comp pick and the other being a Tommy John pitcher that wanted too much.

Pretty stoked, considering all of the upside these guys are supposed to carry with them.
                  Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Any big name players not signed?

Comment

Working...
                    X