Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Confessions of a Fantasy Deadline Dealer...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confessions of a Fantasy Deadline Dealer...

The league in question is one of long standing, now in its 12th year of play with members spread from California to Toronto to Dublin (me). Each team can keep seven keepers along with five prospects.

From early the 2011 season it looked like I'd be in the frame for a run at the title. Paul Konerko, aging White Sox first baseman, was rolling back the years and hitting the cover off the ball while James Shields was pitching like the staff ace some thougcht he always should have been. I made a couple of trades in June to add Matt Holliday, Matt Cain and Andrew Bailey. Hideki Matsui, elderly Oakland DH, was picked up from the free agent pool; he started to hit like Ted Williams and wouldn't let up. Things were going swimmingly.

Come mid July however and half of my team would conspire to take a sudden dive like a crooked middleweight. The two teams at the top eased away.

The arrival of a third team into the mix, leapfrogging me with depressingly little effort, gave me the feeling that there would be a market for a determined seller at the trade deadline.

The goal of each contender would be to win the league without entirely mortgaging the future. Still, flags fly forever and in a league of such quality and long standing being crowned champ carries no small amount of kudos.

In my locker I had 10 keeper-worthy players, three of which would be useless to me when it would become time to declare our seven keepers for 2012. Alongside these there were also another 8 solidly good players that no team would ideally keep but in the context of the remaining seven weeks of MLB action could be of significant value to one or more of the three contenders.

The rub was that these players would only be assets until 23:59 Pacific Time on August 14th (8am GMT on the 15th). After that, they would be worthless.

Keeper-Quality players (10)
    Joe Mauer
    Matt Holliday
    Josh Hamilton
    Tim Lincecum
    A-Rod
    Matt Cain
    James Shields
    Jonathan Papelbon
    Mike Cuddyer
    Danny Espinosa

Other Players of Value to Someone (8)
    Paul Konerko
    Hideki Matsui
    Ichiro Suzuki
    Cory Hart
    Gaby Sanchez
    Andrew Bailey
    Ricky Romero
    Max Scherzer

My goal was to convert these assets into future draft picks, a quality prospect and, hopefully, to pull back one of the best players in baseball as a major keeper upgrade.

Importantly, I reckoned that the three contenders might have a more than usual amount of motivation:

- Team A had trailed for the season and had only recently gone top of the table by a mere half point. With just 45 days of the season remaining, gaining a key player might keep him there.

- Team B had led from Opening Day, mostly by a long, long way. I knew he'd want to pay in order to get that lead back; being human he would have probably assumed as far back as June that the title was in the bag.

- Team C had made a consistent run over the past two months which, if continued, would definitely put him within a stone's throw of the title. His team was on fire but an extra piece or two could put him over the top. Overtaking the two guys who'd been ahead for so long would rank as an impressive feat.

This was potentially a healthy market. However, a market can take various forms. Sometimes it's a small but hectic market stall with multiple buyers haggling over the same asset; the price will rise and rise for that particular asset but can end up sucking the air out of any other negotiations. Other markets are like a large bazaar where prices are lower but more business is done.

As I had so many assets to move - ideally as many as eleven players - having a bidding war over a single player might not do me much good in the long run. Instead I did my best to gently guide each negotiation towards different groups of players in the hope that each wouldn't settle on a shared all-or-nothing goal of the same shiny object.

Gentle feelers were sent out early in the week. At first glance, only Teams B (Matt Kemp) and C (Andrew McCutcheon; Carlos Gonzalez) could satisfy my primary objective of wrestling free a young hitting stud. As I didn't rate Team A's prospects, A was identified early as being a team whose only currency with me would be draft picks.

The week’s emails rolled along until finally, Sunday morning, the arrival of deadline day.

Sometimes life is serendipidous: on Saturday Team B lost Logan Morrison, outspoken but usually semi-competent Marlins' outfielder, to a surprise demotion by the Floridian powers that be. This did my cause no harm whatsoever; however badly LoMo had been playing of late, this was now a gaping hole in Team B's lineup at a time when he simply couldn't afford it.

Negotiations opened early on Sunday with all three teams. One by one, prospective deals hove into view over the day only to be dashed by some disagreement over a final detail over which there would be no budging.

With a title on the line, however, sooner or later something would have to give.

Fortunately the PGA golf championship was going down the wire so I had ample entertainment available while my three trading partners sweated.

At 17 minutes past midnight (GMT) my email inbox pinged into life. A short note had arrived from Team B, accepting the trade that I'd let him stew over while I'd earlier enjoyed a good meal and a bad film.

My prize: Matt Kemp, richly gifted outfielder for the LA Dodgers whose fabulous play this season (.320 batting average, 28 home runs and 31 steals so far) and young age (26) had made him a big target for me. Also coming my way would be the young Kansas City prospect Bubba Starling. In return I would send some significant pieces: slugger Matt Holliday, pitcher Matt Cain, the surprising Paul Konerko and the talented but brittle closer Andrew Bailey.

In isolation I might not have done this deal - Holliday and Cain are very solid keepers in their own right - but in a keeper league players like Kemp simply don't shake loose from their owners very often; when you see a chance to get them you go for it. Besides, this was not about one deal but instead about maximising all of my assets.

The wheels were now in motion.

12.19am: No sooner had the Kemp trade been announced than Team B announced a second trade; he had acquired the great Albert Pujols, future Hall of Fame first baseman for St. Louis.

This was stunning. Two blockbuster trades, one after the other.

While in real life the ESPN "Trade Deadline Special" studio would have gone nuts, in the parallel universe of this fantasy league the second trade from Team B put a huge squeeze on Teams A and C. Beforehand, they might have chosen to sit tight and trust to luck or a late free agent pickup; now if they wanted to make a serious run at the title they'd definitely have to reload, and fast.

12.23am: Team C wanted a couple of arms with a chance to pick up some wins down the stretch. I agreed to send him Max Scherzer and Ricky Romero, talented but unkeepable pitchers, in return for a 10th round draft pick.

2.05am:
    Team A needed some steels and an upgrade at his corner infield spot. From my stable he plucked Ichiro Suzuki, underperforming but still speedy Japanese legend, plus the limited Florida first baseman Gaby Sanchez. A 7th round draft pick comes my way.

2.41am: Team C inquired if Milwaukee outfielder Corey Hart might be available for a mid-round pick? Bye bye Corey, I'll put that 13th round draft pick in the bank.

2.52am: Team A noticed that I'd put a message on the league website saying that pitchers James Shields and Jonathan Papelbon, keeper calibre players both, were available. We agree on a fee of a 4th round pick for Shields.

2.58am: I offered Papelbon to Team A for a 6th round pick; I know that a) he needs to try and make ground in saves to stay ahead of Team B's new Pujols/Holliday/Cain/Konerko/Bailey juggernaut and b) his third closer, Kyle Farnsworth, is viewed as being notoriously flaky. Even without those factors it's a good price as Pap is certainly a keepable player. He knows this, even though it’s yet another draft pick he’s losing to me, and accepts.

The wires are now cold.

Only Matsui is left; in my mind's eye the Japanese has arrived at the bus station but sees the big Greyhound already easing onto the interstate. He's stuck here.

The net total of all trading was a nice little haul. Danny Espinosa might not be everybody's cup of tea as a keeper but as part of the bigger picture he'll do just fine.

1) My Seven Keepers (with offseason trading to come):
    Kemp
    Mauer
    Hamilton
    Lincecum
    A-Rod
    Cuddyer
    Espinosa

2) Extra draft picks in the 4th, 6th, 7th, 10th and 13th rounds

3) The rights to Kansas City uber-prospect Bubba Starling. Hell, he might choose to reject the Royals' offer and play football but with his talent ceiling it's a risk worth taking.

In the end, the only player that I really tried to move but couldn't do so was the player who’s actually hitting the best of the lot, the venerable Matsui. Unfortunately, it's possible that he's been too hot for his own good as each team reckoned he'd plummet back to earth as soon as they traded for him. So there he remains, a red-hot DH for my asset-stripped 4th place team. Still, with only one untraded piece of 11 that's a job well done.

My deals done, I waved adieu to my guys, wished the three contenders the best of luck in their sprint to the finish and now look forward to an offseason where I've got plenty of ammo to set up a run at the 2012 title.

I went to bed at 3.05am, mind buzzing.

3.30am: Damn it, I'm still awake.

3.40am: Damn it, why the hell couldn't I have got even a 15th rounder for Matsui?

3.45am: ZZZZzzzzz….

Nice work. Armed with plenty of ammunition, now you can do what you can to try to upgrade those last two spots.

Comment

In my 12-team NL-only 5x5, I've been going back and forth figuring out whether I'm playing for this year or not, which is generally not a good thing, but I think I've made it work this year, mostly by finding a bunch of places where I thought I could pick up value.

In early July, I was bumbling along in 6th and 7th place when I started this sequence of trades:

(note that if a player is in the minors at the beginning of their option year they can't be extended. also we only use one catcher)

July 5: Traded away Anthony Rizzo ($10, option year in 2013) and Brett Jackson ($5, option year in 2012) for Cory Luebke ($20, option 2013), Carlos Pena ($32, option 2013), Ian Stewart (expiring 2012), Randall Delgado ($10, option 2013)

July 22: Traded away Charlie Blackmon a little after his broken foot ($5, option 2013), Jose Ceda ($2, option 2013), Freddie Freeman ($7, expiring 2012) for Todd Helton ($8, option 2013), Cliff Lee ($38, option 2013), Ty Wigginton ($20, option 2013)

August 9: Traded away Randall Delgado ($10, option 2013), Dave Sappelt ($5, option 2013), Yasmani Grandal ($2, option 2013) for Jhoulys Chacin ($5, expiring 2011), Michael Bourn ($11, expiring 2011)

August 9: Traded away Cliff Lee ($38, option 2013), Ty Wigginton ($20, option 2013) for JD Martinez ($10, option 2013), Seth Smith ($7, expiring 2012), Josh Collmenter ($1, option 2013)

so overall, I traded away Freeman, Rizzo, Jackson, Blackmon, Ceda, Sappelt, Grandal for Luebke (expensive though), Martinez, Smith, Collmenter that have future value and Helton, Pena, Chacin, and Bourn for this year. I've moved up to fourth place and have a small shot at third.

whee?

- Mike
      In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Originally posted by willthethrill View Post
        Nice work. Armed with plenty of ammunition, now you can do what you can to try to upgrade those last two spots.
        If I can get a significant upgrade then definitely, yes. However, Cuddyer's a hugely useful player to have and Espinosa (streaky, streaky bast'd that he might be) is still a decent power/speed combo, even in a mixed league like ours.

I look forward to the offseason when I start getting offers from the guys trying to get their picks back though

Comment

Man, I dunno, banking on Danny Espinosa and Michael Cuddyer just doesn't feel good to me, even with those extra picks. Good read, though.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
            Man, I dunno, banking on Danny Espinosa and Michael Cuddyer just doesn't feel good to me, even with those extra picks. Good read, though.
            Yea, that was my thought as well, but I'm not sure how to value the draft picks since I only play in auction leagues.
            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

As long as Cuddyer has 2B eligibility for next season I'm cool with him as a keeper. Espinosa less so, obviously

In general, draft picks have a disproportionately high value in this sort of league where there are no contracts. It's not simply "the best 77 players are kept", a player's age and position will have a huge bearing on whether he is kept. After that there are also some rookies not in the draft pool because they are restricted prospects.

Loading up on picks in rounds 2-7 is of huge, huge value. A 1st rounder moving in a trade is almost unheard of - think it's happened once in 12 years.

Comment

Originally posted by amcg View Post
                As long as Cuddyer has 2B eligibility for next season I'm cool with him as a keeper. Espinosa less so, obviously

In general, draft picks have a disproportionately high value in this sort of league where there are no contracts. It's not simply "the best 77 players are kept", a player's age and position will have a huge bearing on whether he is kept. After that there are also some rookies not in the draft pool because they are restricted prospects.

Loading up on picks in rounds 2-7 is of huge, huge value. A 1st rounder moving in a trade is almost unheard of - think it's happened once in 12 years.
                Makes sense then, nice work.
                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

"In my 12-team NL-only 5x5, I've been going back and forth figuring out whether I'm playing for this year or not, which is generally not a good thing, but I think I've made it work this year,"

I could have written that sentence myself right up until "but I think I've made it work this year."

As I've noted, for only the 2nd time ever I decided before the auction to play for the following year (2012, in this case). I waited patiently for overspending to take its toll, then got Wolf, Harang, and Leake each for 1 unit. Oh, and Daniel Murphy, too, for 1 (!).

I leaped out to a double-digit lead in Wins and a good lead in AVG, and by early May a lame-duck Votto was on the block. I was in 2nd place, and here's the 2010 ML MVP on the block and I needed an extra bat. Votto replaced Scott Cousins 1 on my roster, for 120 games or so. All I had to give up was.... Homer Bailey 2 (not hating that so far), DGordon 5 farm (hmm, I coulda used the SB and taken the AVG hit. lost another keeper here), Randall Delgado 5 (farm, he's getting closer but contenders can't really use these guys - I moved Jordan Lyles in another deal; great future but kills his 2011 team), and... Stephen Strasburg (10-O in 2012 or 15-L2 in 2012 and 20-L1 in 2013 and out), he looks fine so far but at least I only gave up a lame-duck Jonathan Sanchez 10 in March to get him).

Did I mention that I got 4+ months of Votto and upgraded from the league's worst owned 1B or OF, Cousins? Oh, I did. That is a lot of potential given up by a guy who was "committed" to playing in 2012, heh. The heart wants what it wants, and I still have lots of major, major prospects.

Usually I'm looking at it precisely as amcg did, either as buyer or seller. But this year, I got stuck on the damn fence.

Weird thing is I did well in modest trading: got K-Rod 25 for Lyles 5, dodged that 2011 bullet, got Carlos Pena 17 for Polanco 12 right before Polanco got hurt (Pena could hit .083 and not cost me more than a pt in AVG), got a late farm pick for McLouth 15 right before he got hurt, got Street 20 for Wolf 1 and Trayvon Robinson right before he got traded to the AL.

But with 3 days til the trading deadline, I still have a lame duck Votto and I'm still in 4th place (will finish 3rd, 4th, 5th, or 6th either way). No shot at 2nd, so I'll hold onto a formidable keeper list.

Will I trade Votto? I still don't know. Made an offer to 2nd-place owner with Starlin Castro 5 at the core, but he's slipped 11 pts back of first and might raise a white flag of "hold." 1st-place owner - guy has never won in 25 previous seasons - has a couple of "untouchable keepers" - which can be a good way of going a 26th year without winning. Will be fun to watch this stretch run...
                  finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                  own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                  won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                  RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                  C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                  1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                  OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Nice read.

At first blush I thought you should have gotten better draft picks. After reading further it seems like you made out pretty good.

Comment

J Lyles was addition by substraction for this year, he is posting some hurtful numbers. I hope he turns it around as he is 1 of the guys I picked up at the end of my rebuild process, basically got him for a bunch of moist towelettes, and R Vogelsong, who I thought would revert to himself but evidently wants to be superman. I have Lyles cheap for a bunch of years so hopefully he figures it out.

JJ, I had same mindset as you preseason of knowing I would go rebuild, but unlike you, I swallowed the pill and went for it, planning in off season who were best keepers in my mind for the long haul and aggresively going for them.

I am convinced I did the correct move in bailing on a $60 Pujols for instance, and landing a boatload of cargo. A month later, I would never have been able to pull exact names out of deal that I did as Pujols value had dropped.

I wont go rebuild again till 2017, minimum. I may never go rebuild again, wont ever allow myself to get as roster dry as I was. Again, 2017, minimum, Want it on public record, hated that I had to tank, but I built a pipeline of talent that will feed the furnace. I tanked 2011, spread talent out among 5 trades, but infused so much excitement into my future I am stoked.

As for the OP, cool story. Love those inside the thought process type rambling posts.

Comment

Funny, I never managed my team harder than I did in 2010. Had dumped two years in a row, and was determined not to do it again.

Went all-in by May in spite of being in 4th place - scorched-earth policy, everything must go if it's about beyond 2010. As I've noted, had it in the bag until midseason, when a rebuilder was so sure that Jason Heyward 10 was the next Pujols (he had the big 1st half at age 20) that he shipped out lame-duck Pujols and H-Ram 41. I STILL had it won if not for an absolute ton of injuries to big stars down the stretch. Disappointment, but no regrets.

With only one underpriced keeper (Hanson 10), I just couldn't picture contending this year. I agree you need to be decisive - but what happens when you can see in May that with the cheap keepers and the prospects, plus the big stars (Halladay 44 and Holliday 40, I drafted the latter), you have a shot? Ultimately there's only so much talent you can keep for 2012 (11 keepers and eight farmhands), and it looked like ALL of my pitchers for instance were very keepable. Even though it didn't work out, I'm still in better shape for 2012 than I was in 2010 or 2011.

28 years in, though, I sure as hell have a lot to learn still...
                        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                          Nice read.

At first blush I thought you should have gotten better draft picks. After reading further it seems like you made out pretty good.
                          The price involved in the James Shields deal - a 4th round pick - is worth explaining.

Two of the three owners had inquired about Shields and I had consistently priced him as a 2nd round pick, refusing to budge from this price.

Unfortunately, when sending a proposal via the league website to Team A I inadvertently typed "8th round pick". As it happened, he sent the offer back with an almost identical counter because he wanted to include a different scrub on the other side of the deal. My error was only discovered because I sent a mail suggesting that discussion on Shields would be unpromising because our valuations were "obviously some way apart".

Obviously if he'd accepted the deal there was nothing that I could have done; it was my mistake. As it happened, I couldn't have blamed him for being sore at me for "suddenly" withdrawing my 8th round offer even though it had not been my intention.

Two factors were at play here: a) I still wanted to move Shields and b) I did not want to leave any ill will with this owner, who is a fellow founder member, a very good league citizen and somebody with whom I end up trading almost every season. So, I decided to make a goodwill gesture (and stated that it was such) of offering Shields for a 4th rounder.

He appreciated the gesture hugely and accepted; indeed, I've little doubt that it was this gesture that prompted him to go through with the Papelbon deal also since he'd just got a two-round discount. In the short term it was selling Shields for 80c on the dollar but in the long term I have no doubt it was the right call.

Comment

Working...
                          X