Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

JZimmermann shudown, and league DL rules?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JZimmermann shudown, and league DL rules?

The Nats are now saying Zimmermann has 4 starts left- so that would make his final start on or about Aug 22 vs Arizona.

It's becoming quite commonplace for teams to "shut down" young starters- but this almost always happens in September- which means no roster move is required. With 40-man rosters, it's no problem for the player to keep his active MLB roster slot, and just not play.

But what will the Nats do in this instance? I doubt they'd want to be a man short for the last 8-9 games of August. They could create some phony injury for a "phantom DL" move- but I remember reading somewhere Selig saying the league/union was going to be more vigilant in making sure all DL moves were medically-necessary. I mean, if you've been saying for weeks now that JZimm would be shut down at 160 innings, isn't it pretty hard to sell that suddenly at 160IP he got injured? I suppose they could option him to the minors?

Just wondering how you think the Nats will handle this. In my $$ league, it's much more costly to replace an active player, than one on the DL or in the minors- so it could potentially have a big effect on a close pennant chase.

Does he have an option left? Has he already been optioned this year? They might just option him.

Otherwise I can see them keeping him as the last man in the bullpen for the required 8-9 days. If he throws an inning or two it probably won't be the end of the world.

Comment

They'll option him down -- they're not going to go a man down for the month

Comment

It seems like if his last start is August 22nd then with four days of rest the Nationals would not need a starter until August 27th. Until that point they are operating with their usual roster. On the 27th they need someone and would call up another pitcher and need a roster spot.

I'm not sure if they would send Zim down or keep him in the bullpen for the 28th-31st, but in any event the Nationals would only be dealing with this issue for four days before the September roster expansions happened. I'm sure even if they kept him up and didn't pitch him it would not be critical.

Comment

Looks like the Nats are preparing Strasburg to take over Zimmermann's spot.

Comment

Working...
          X