Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
    Then Mets fans are as inept as Omar Minaya

Opportunity gets you saves, skills keeps you in that role. The Rays have had 7 different relievers lead the team in saves each of the last seven seasons and that includes 2 division titles in the toughest division in sports and a trip to the World Series. If they can do it, certainly other teams can do it.
    You're right, but you're missing my point a bit.

In this particular case, the Mets are not re-using the resources saved by shedding themselves of KRod. Your point was that shedding his salary was enough. My point is, "yeah, that would be the case if they re-use those dollars." But they're not -- they're using it (or going to use it) to pay for their outside activities.

From our perspective as hardcore baseball fans, yeah, it was a no-brainer to dump him, as closers are easily replaceable.

But saving money means little when it's not going to be re-spent on baseball activities.

And JJ's right -- I'm no Mets fan.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post

In this particular case, the Mets are not re-using the resources saved by shedding themselves of KRod. Your point was that shedding his salary was enough. My point is, "yeah, that would be the case if they re-use those dollars." But they're not -- they're using it (or going to use it) to pay for their outside activities.

From our perspective as hardcore baseball fans, yeah, it was a no-brainer to dump him, as closers are easily replaceable.

But saving money means little when it's not going to be re-spent on baseball activities.

I agree with this. Why would fans care if the Mets save money by trading K-rod if all it means is that the payroll went down by 15 million?
      After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post

We don't know what they're going to do with the money saved yet. That said, who cares! Save it for next year's FA class if nothing fits your need this season. Or, if it helps pay down the mess that Minaya has gotten the team into, so be it.

The Rays cut payroll by $33M this season and are projected to finish 5 games last year's pace. 5 games doesn't make a difference when Boston could become the first team to win 100 games after starting 0-6, but I digress.

Comment

• I wouldnt bet a whole lot on it, but theres a decent chance Parnell puts up similar numbers to Krod next year so Mets fans should be satisfied.
          "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• The Mets do plan to spend more on draft picks. They never busted slot before Alderson came aboard, and now that will change. So maybe some of the money will go to that.
            Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
            We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Seemed like K-Rod getting that contract change after the trade might have quieted him down, especially as the Brewers are in the postseason tuneup mode already.

But in a shocking twist, he's still not happy, after the Brewers for some reason told him he'd get plenty of SV opps himself:

Francisco Rodriguez told Scott Miller of CBSSports.com that he is unhappy pitching in a set-up role.
              "I'm not fine," said Rodriguez. "They told me I'd have the opportunity to close some games, and we've had 20-some save opportunities since then and I haven't even had one." K-Rod has a 2.31 ERA and 24/9 K/BB ratio over 23 1/3 innings since being acquired by the Brewers, but John Axford has been nearly untouchable during the same timespan. Rodriguez will have no choice but to grin and bear it until he becomes a free agent following the season. Source: CBSSports.com Sep. 14 - 12:02 am et

K-Rod broke the SV opp record by a staggering amount in his "most SV ever" year, and it seems like he thinks that makes him an iconic closer or something. Good luck to the Brewers in the next few weeks, and to his next team next year. Also a good postgame interview opp if Axford blows even one postseason lead.

That said, I have him for 25, and if an NL team is willing to pamper the prima donna in 2012....

finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                Seemed like K-Rod getting that contract change after the trade might have quieted him down, especially as the Brewers are in the postseason tuneup mode already.

But in a shocking twist, he's still not happy, after the Brewers for some reason told him he'd get plenty of SV opps himself:

Francisco Rodriguez told Scott Miller of CBSSports.com that he is unhappy pitching in a set-up role.
                "I'm not fine," said Rodriguez. "They told me I'd have the opportunity to close some games, and we've had 20-some save opportunities since then and I haven't even had one." K-Rod has a 2.31 ERA and 24/9 K/BB ratio over 23 1/3 innings since being acquired by the Brewers, but John Axford has been nearly untouchable during the same timespan. Rodriguez will have no choice but to grin and bear it until he becomes a free agent following the season. Source: CBSSports.com Sep. 14 - 12:02 am et

K-Rod broke the SV opp record by a staggering amount in his "most SV ever" year, and it seems like he thinks that makes him an iconic closer or something. Good luck to the Brewers in the next few weeks, and to his next team next year. Also a good postgame interview opp if Axford blows even one postseason lead.

That said, I have him for 25, and if an NL team is willing to pamper the prima donna in 2012....

He asked for it...
                John Axford will not be available in a save situation Wednesday night against the Rockies.
                Axford will get the night off after throwing 25 pitches over two innings in Tuesday's extra-inning win. Francisco Rodriguez, who told Scott Miller of CBSSports.com on Tuesday that he was unhappy in a set-up role, will get the ball in a potential save situation Wednesday.

Comment

• Originally posted by schlesinj View Post
                  He asked for it...
                  John Axford will not be available in a save situation Wednesday night against the Rockies.
                  Axford will get the night off after throwing 25 pitches over two innings in Tuesday's extra-inning win. Francisco Rodriguez, who told Scott Miller of CBSSports.com on Tuesday that he was unhappy in a set-up role, will get the ball in a potential save situation Wednesday.
                  If he gets the save chance and screws it up, this will get ugly.
                  I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Actually it will get uglier if it's a 1-2-3, no?

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                      Actually it will get uglier if it's a 1-2-3, no?
                      No, because Axford will go back into his role. But if K-Rod would be a prima donna AND fail, Brewer fans would get all over him.
                      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• I'd rather have Brewers fans angry with K-Rod (who won't get a SV chance tonight), then an emboldened K-Rod demanding more action. At least if he had blown one, he had less of a case.

Fans can boo all they want, but if K-Rod is pissed off in his "understudy" role, that's not a great spot come postseason. Both his manager and his GM promised him SV opps, he pitched well (and Axford was as good or better), and he didn't get any.

Amazing to trade for a prima donna, promise him something, watch him pitch well - and then prove to be liars. Dopey.

from mid-July:

http://www.wiscnews.com/portagedaily...cc4c002e0.html'

"Melvin and manager Ron Roenicke said Rodriguez and Axford will share closer duties, and maintained there will be no closer controversy. The bottom line, they insist, is winning games.....

Rodriguez recently switched agents, joining the stable of super agent Scott Boras, who also happens to be Fielder's agent. Boras obviously doesn't believe his new client is a setup man.

"Francisco Rodriguez is a historic closer," Boras told Newsday earlier this week. "He's not going anywhere to be a setup man. Closers don't make good setup men. Does anyone want an unhappy setup man in their clubhouse?".......

"I think there are going to be times that both of them are used in that setup role," Roenicke told MLB.com."

with any luck, it won't matter. limited number of postseason opps, and either the Brewers go down quickly anyway, or they keep winning and maybe that shuts up K-Rod (as long as Axford doesn't stumble). And if it is a late meltdown, well, it won't matter next year.

Brewers are lucky this didn't flare up sooner. K-Rod is so dumb, I guess, that he just noticed that he got scammed....

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Working...
                        X