2011 HR Derby-AAA version

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011 HR Derby-AAA version

Just got back but not too much too report. PCL participants were Jeff Baisley, Bryan Lahair and Trayvon Robinson. IL team was Dayan Viciedo & two Braves, Stefan Gartrell & Mauro Gomez. This was in Salt Lake City with a big wind blowing in from right so lefties were screwed and righties had an easy time pulling the ball. A couple of high school kids rounded out the field.

Baisley & Lahair are both 29 year old non-prospects. Lahair is a lefty and hit 1. Should have been 4 or 5 but the wind killed him. Bailsey hit 4 and out in the 2nd round. Robinson is 24 and has 20 HRs already but his previous career high was 17 (thank you Albuquerque). He hit 2 HRs and out in the first round. I wasn't overly impressed with him.

Viciedo was a disappointment. First hit was a HR and then 10 outs. He was the guy I wanted to see most but only got the 11 swings. Gomez hit 5 in the first round but then only 2 and was out. He was pretty impressive hitting line drives but the wind died his second time up and the line drives didn't go out. I checked his stats and lots of Ks so I don't think the 26 year old should be too high on anyone's list. Gartrell wound up winning, hitting 3 in round 1 but then hit 6 in round 2 and 7 in the finals. He turned 27 this year and was recently sold from the White Sox to the Braves so there is something the ChiSox gave up on. He, like Gomez, shouldn't be too high on a list.

The all-star game is Wednesday. I will check it out and hopefully have better reports on some guys.

I think the high school kid, Kayden Porter, may have been the most impressive.

Comment

Working...
    X