Clear All

• Your favorite "non-star" player from your childhood team

Mine: Terry Puhl with the Astros

Gary Nolan with Cincy.

Comment

Tom Brookens, Tigers

Comment

Tony Pena, Red Sox
        Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by schlesinj View Post
            That was my first thought too!
            I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Mine seemed to have a theme, Mel Hall and Jim Leyritz. I liked their style and swagger, apparently style/swagger ---> criminal/a$$hole. I liked Leyritz far more than Hall, but Leyritz wasn't my childhood, just my favorite non-star player.

Andy Van Slyke was one of my favorites, but he wasn't on my favorite team, and I'm not sure if he qualifies as a non-star?
              Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on the list.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

"...relentless inevitability of Yankee glory." - The Onion

Comment

Roy White, Yankees
                "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

If I had to choose a Met, I always like Tim Teufel.

Comment

Al Hrabosky, Cardinals.

The Mad Hungarian!

Last edited by senorsheep; 07-11-2011, 11:19 AM.
                    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                    "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

I always loved edgardo alfonzo. But I think he made the all star team at least once or twice, so maybe he is too good to answer the question. Also, I was really a teenager when he was playing....

Comment

Sixto Lezcano, started a Brewer but moved around quite a bit. I liked him 1) for his name, and 2) because he was part of the deal that brought Ozzie to St. Louis.

Comment

steve kemp, tigers.
                          (honorable mentions to champ summers, johnny wockenfuss and jason "rooftop" thompson)
                          One league, 28 years, 9 championships. AL 4X4

Current Lineup:

Ohoppe 2 Rutschman 22 JRamirez 40 Dezenzo 5 Lewis 6 Semien 26 Torres 20 Hamilton 10 Tucker 42 Cowser 1 Meadows 5 Holliday 17 Andujar 10 Robert 28 P Lopez 8 G Rodriguez 5 Ragans 5 Holmes 10 JDuran 10 McArthur 1 Miller 6 Crochet 10 Crawford 1

Comment

He didn't play for my favorite team but I always loved the way Lenny Dykstra played. In hindsight it's obvious that he used PED's later in his career, but I didn't think anything of it at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
                              Sixto Lezcano, started a Brewer but moved around quite a bit. I liked him 1) for his name, and 2) because he was part of the deal that brought Ozzie to St. Louis.
                              A buddy of mine plays softball on a team with mostly Puerto Ricans. One Saturday night a couple years ago one of the guys invited the team over to watch an Oscar Del La Hoya fight at his apartment and my buddy invited me along. We get there and who's there watching the fight with us but Sixto Lezcano, just one of the guys. It was just so random, it was crazy. After the fight he put in a grainy VHS tape of the 2003 World Series with the Phillies. I got the impression that happens every time they get together.
                              Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on the list.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

"...relentless inevitability of Yankee glory." - The Onion

Comment

Working...
                              X