Tigers Fire Pitching Coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tigers Fire Pitching Coach

A weeks worth of blowout losses was the final straw. With the exception of Verlander the starters have been very poor over the last month plus. Mike Rojas will take over as Pitching Coach tomorrow.
    Its not what you've got. Its what you give.
    Its not the life you choose. Its the life you live--TESLA

Princess Kate-Kate Marie Hrischuk 9/12/00-1/27/07

A pitching coach is as good as the pitchers he's given, and as good or bad as his manager's usage of those pitchers. Firing a pitching or hitting coach almost always seems like an act of desperation or doing something for the sake of doing something.
    Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
    -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Vecmizer View Post
      http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ss...itching_c.html

A weeks worth of blowout losses was the final straw. With the exception of Verlander the starters have been very poor over the last month plus. Mike Rojas will take over as Pitching Coach tomorrow.
      They also have the worst bullpen in AL

Comment

Originally posted by hacko View Post
        They also have the worst bullpen in AL
        IMO, given how I've seen Tigers RPs used, firing the pitching coach is legit. The hardcore Tigs fans like Vecmizer can comment more, but in the times I've seen them, there sure seems to be a lot of getting up, throwing some pitches, and sitting down.
        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
          IMO, given how I've seen Tigers RPs used, firing the pitching coach is legit. The hardcore Tigs fans like Vecmizer can comment more, but in the times I've seen them, there sure seems to be a lot of getting up, throwing some pitches, and sitting down.
          It's funny you say that - I was at a Jays-Tigers game earlier this year & had just noticed Al Albequerque's numbers so was looking for him in the pen; he got up 3 or 4 times ... never came into the game tho. He's now on the DL.
          It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Is that due to pitching coach decisions, or managerial decisions? I'm not defending the pitching coach, but he could be the scapegoat for Leyland's actions.
            Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
            -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
              Is that due to pitching coach decisions, or managerial decisions? I'm not defending the pitching coach, but he could be the scapegoat for Leyland's actions.
              It varies by team, but often those are decisions made by the manager with the advice of the pitching coach. So, both. I don't know about the Tigers specifically, though.
              Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
              We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Good point. I have seen this more than once in the past, and is inever good. You wear your pitchers out, without getting IP out of them. Also, it is one thing for them to get up and toss a few to stay loose, and another thing to warm up. If a RP is fully warmed up, he needs to get the ball.

J
                Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Working...
                X