AL Buyer or Seller?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AL Buyer or Seller?

Updated roster in sig. 12.5 points would put me in the money. 17.5 would put me in third.

29 SB = 5 pts
    25 RBI = 3 pts
    21 HR = 5 pts
    0.0093 avg = 3 pts

9W = 4 pts
    15 sv = 2 pts
    73 Ks = 3 pts

2 teams have announced that they are dumping. I could potentially acquire some of:

X) Tex / Escobar / Bautista / Hamilton / Upton / Hafner / Danks / Garcia / Scherzer / Pavano / Feliz / League
    (I told him I wanted 2 bats, 2 SP and a RP in a package)

Y) Jones / Rios / Zobrist / Cahill / Bailey

I think Team X has enough talent to make 2 deals but there will be some teams who miss out.

On the flipside, I have a great deal of talent to move and could acquire the following crown jewels:

A) Lind 4 / Trout 10
    B) Hosmer 10 / Britton 10 / Masterson 1
    C) Pineda 8 / Hardy 10
    D) Trumbo 1 / Ackley 1 (offered Jenks 2 and Chisenhall 1 for Sabathia/Valverde...I told him to get real)

My base for next year is currently: Jennings 11, Ogando 4, Bard 4, McGee 7.

I've seen teams make late surges so I am reluctant to give up yet. I have Crawford, Napoli and McCarthy coming back this week.

Buy, sell or stand pat?

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
    Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
    Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

It seems like a lot of points to make up.

We play this game to have fun. Winning is fun. Placing in the money is fun. Trading can be fun. I am not sure dumping to get to 3rd would be fun enough to possible wreck next season. I probably start having fun by trading to win next season. It is more about your make up and why you play than mine. Good luck whatever you decide.

Comment

I don't see you landing a lot of Tex/Bautista types with Bard and McGee. So you have to ask if other teams are going to land most of those top players and push you down the standings. Or whether you could realistically compete by just adding 1 or 2 top guys. I definitely wouldn't stand pat, but you need to look hard at whether you can really compete. Unfortunately I'm not sure you can. Maybe you really can land Bautista/Tex/Max/League with what you've got. If so then you've got a shot.

Comment

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm hanging around 5th/6th and trying to make a deal or 2 for this year.

If you can make a big deal or 2 right now that you clearly win and get some stud players that make a big difference, then go for it. The thing I don't know if how the teams ahead of you look. If the teams at the top still have some good trading chips and can easily go out and counter anything you do, then think twice about it.

If it is not looking good then quickly switch gears and try the other way and see if you can make a killing on trading some of your non keeper studs and start getting your team ready for a run next year.

Comment

Thanks for the thoughts so far. I am still on the fence, and if I can land a big package I think I'll have more fun playing for this year.

Owner C implied that he'd want
          CC/CC/Haren/Abreu for Pineda 8 and Hardy 10

I think that's too much for a very good keeper and a wildcard. I told him there were better packages out there. Thoughts?
          Last edited by virgonomic; 07-08-2011, 12:41 PM.

Comment

That would not make me want to throw in the towel

CC/CC/Haren and Abreu for that?

I might do 2 studs for 1 really good keeper. Hardy is $10 right? so he's ok, but he has not yet signed an extension with the O's, so you don't know where he'll be next year.

I'd counter back CC and Abreu for Pineda and see what he says.

I'd rather give that up those 4 to team A for Lind and Trout and throw another player in if you have to. Same with team B for Hosmer and Britton.

Can you help me with mine on Ranking keepers for next year? I'm in the same boat as you and trying to see how much i can get for my high priced studs.

Comment

I told him I'd give any pitcher and hitter for Pineda. I'm not sure if Sabathia/Abreu would be enough. I also told him I'd add Nishioka and Abreu for Hardy.

Off to find yours...
              Last edited by virgonomic; 07-08-2011, 09:47 AM.

Comment

I was offered Trumbo 1 / Sizemore 1 / Jenks 2 for the CCs and Konerko.
                I countered with Ackley 1 instead of Jenks.
                Just because a player is $2 doesn't mean he's a good keeper.

Comment

Originally posted by virgonomic View Post
                  I was offered Trumbo 1 / Sizemore 1 / Jenks 2 for the CCs and Konerko.
                  I countered with Ackley 1 instead of Jenks.
                  Just because a player is $2 doesn't mean he's a good keeper.
                  Right, you would have to get Ackely because those other 2 are questionable. I'm pretty confident Ackley is the future at second for the Mariners, but I can't say that the other 2 guys are the future for their teams. What happens with Trumbo when Morales comes back? The Angels need Morales at 1st and Abreu at DH next year with Wells, Bourjos and Hunter in the OF. I don't see Trumbo as their everyday 1st baseman also because he is not great with the glove. I like Sizemore for a $1, but he's not gonna get you typical CI production and isn't a standout in any one catagory, but again at a $1 I like him and it looks like it's his job to lose.

I'd still rather see if I could get Lind and Trout from the other guy. Have you made him an offer yet?

Can you check in on my post again, thanks

Comment

CC 31 / Crawford 40 / Haren / Abreu 19
                    for
                    Pineda 8 and Hardy 10 is done.

He argued that he needed both CC and Haren to improve in Ks while giving up Pineda. Seemed fair. SS has been a black hole in BAL the past few years so hopefully they sign JJ to an extension.

I also proposed

Konerko / Nishioka 17 / Beltre 19 / Humber 10 / Valverde
                    for
                    Ackley 1 / Trout 1 / Sizemore 1

ETA: Hardy was 10 after all, as in my original post. I don't love this deal now. Another owner called it brutal. I got better keepers than the first owner who dumped though (Avila 9 / Moreland 11 / Weeks 10 / Dyson 5 for Bautista / Tex / Escobar / Feliz).

I could have had Lind 4 / Boesch 2 for the same package. Argh. That said, I advertised to the league a week ago that these guys were available and the Lind owner didn't inquire. That owner is a point behind me so I didn't think he'd be going for it.
                    Last edited by virgonomic; 07-08-2011, 09:55 AM.

Comment

It's hard when you are the one doing the dumping.

Yeh, I don't care for that deal you did or the one the other owner that dumped did. At least you have what should be a stud starter in Pineda at a pretty good value and what's done is done so now try to get the best deal for what you've got left.

Be prepared for possibly some upset owners in contention that are gonna want a similar deal.

>>I also proposed

Konerko / Nishioka 17 / Beltre 19 / Humber 10 / Valverde
                      for
                      Ackley 1 / Trout 1 / Sizemore 1 <<

Now this would be a great deal for you, but this guy would be, IMO, giving up more than you got in the last deal and for less quality players. If you some how get Ackley and Trout, then you have made up for the first deal. Those 2 are stud keepers at $1 and Sizemore isn't bad either.

Good luck and let us know how you do. Thanks for helping with mine.

Comment

I asked for Melky 2 / Walden 1 and he countered with:

Buehrle 2 / Melky 2 / Capps 8 / Drabek 4
                        for
                        Beltre 19 / Johnny Damon / Humber 10 / Konerko x / Valverde x

Seems like a good package for a dumper. I could get Jenks 2 / Sizemore 1 for a similar package but I know the first deal is better. Pull the trigger?

Comment

Originally posted by virgonomic View Post
                          I asked for Melky 2 / Walden 1 and he countered with:

Buehrle 2 / Melky 2 / Capps 8 / Drabek 4
                          for
                          Beltre 19 / Johnny Damon / Humber 10 / Konerko x / Valverde x

Seems like a good package for a dumper. I could get Jenks 2 / Sizemore 1 for a similar package but I know the first deal is better. Pull the trigger?
                          You need to get Walden in the deal. I think your offer for Melky and Walden was fair. Tell him Capps and Buehrle are free agents after this season so they're not great keepers.

Comment

Originally posted by price View Post
                            You need to get Walden in the deal. I think your offer for Melky and Walden was fair. Tell him Capps and Buehrle are free agents after this season so they're not great keepers.
                            Good call.

Comment

He rejected the deal and countered with Melky for Konerko/Beltre. I substituted Napoli for Konerko and he rejected it and broadcast to the league that the players were available. I made the original offer adding Cain 7 when I read that Melky is a FA and likely to be traded and he accepted.

Beltre 19 / Damon 9 / Humber 10 / Konerko x / Valverde x
                              for
                              Melky 2 / Cain 7 / Buehrle 2 / Drabek 4 / Capps 8

The Ackley owner wasn't willing to move him. This trade gives me some options.

Comment

Working...
                              X