That clanging sound you hear..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That clanging sound you hear..

Is Mat Gamel being promoted by the Brewers. I'm guessing it is only to DH this week since they really have no other place to play him.

What do you mean by clanging sound? Something annoying?

I have a shot at him, Willy-Mo and Presley tonight. Looking more to next year than this...... suggestions?

Comment

I would think he has the most future value of any of those guys since he could play 1B for the Brewers next year.

Comment

Originally posted by harmon View Post
        What do you mean by clanging sound? Something annoying?

I have a shot at him, Willy-Mo and Presley tonight. Looking more to next year than this...... suggestions?
        The clanging sound would be the ball hitting his iron glove...
        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
        -Warren Ellis

Comment

McGehee's been pretty awful, I think he's going to get a look at 3b as long this week doesn't go terribly.

Comment

Gamel is tearing up AAA this year and should replace Fielder next year. If you're playing for next year he looks like a good buy.

Comment

While I have no inside knowledge, I doubt he gets any significant action at 3B. Maybe He gets an inning or two in a blow out (either way). I suspect he will either DH or spell Prince at 1B for a start or two. BUT I believe he will mostly DH. If he does well, I could see them keeping him up and releasing Kotsay or Counsell, now that they seem to like Josh Wilson who now fits the “versatile (yet, not good) IF” role. I am not sure what more he has to prove in AAA. If he is going to replace Prince, I think he needs to see some significant MLB ABs and get some experience at 1B.
              I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

I'd be shocked if he plays 3B. McGehee's been really bad, but really bad would be exceptionally good for Gamel at 3B. I like the idea of spotting him for DH or 1B during AL interleague games, but with the Brewers in first place, I'd be shocked if Gamel would get any significant PT until September, and then only if the Brewers have a playoff spot pretty secure or hopelessly lost. Fielder's a short-timer, but he's also carrying a 1.0ish OPS. I'd send Gamel back down for no other reason than to make sure he gets many, many defensive reps at 1B in AAA ball.
                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

I admit I was wrong about Gamel only playing DH or1B to spell Prince. He has already started in LF and a couple of games at 3B for a struggling Casey McGehee. Gamel certainly hasn't hurt in those positions as he hasn't had an error...yet! But his Offense isn't helping either. Oh well.
                  I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

He didn't look worse than Braun in LF, either. Not a major achievement, but I thought he'd be beyond awful.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                      He didn't look worse than Braun in LF, either. Not a major achievement, but I thought he'd be beyond awful.
                      And then the day I post my apology for beoing wrong and noting that he didn't have an error, he made a couple terrible plays at third base! The Crew could have swept the Reds but for Gamel's great fielding skills.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

Originally posted by Bernie Brewer View Post
                        And then the day I post my apology for beoing wrong and noting that he didn't have an error, he made a couple terrible plays at third base! The Crew could have swept the Reds but for Gamel's great fielding skills.
                        They still should have won that game, but, yeah, Gamel was brutal at 3rd. When you suck worse than Casey McGehee...well, that's just really bad. IMO, he'll make a decent enough 1B, and appears like he can play LF at a below average, but acceptable level, in a pinch. I still think he'll hit given an extended chance at the big league level.

Comment

Working...
                        X