Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trading away Braun, which OF do I request in counteroffer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trading away Braun, which OF do I request in counteroffer?

12T mixed 7x7 roto keeper. (extra cats are H OPS x L HRA).

Our keeper system is complex, based upon contract years (CY) and the higher you finish the fewer you earn. I'll only earn 11, some bottom feeders might have as many as 17 to spend. 1CY buys 1 year kept. In short our keepers coming off expiring contracts become restricted FA (RFA). We have a mid winter email bid to redistribute these players. in which owning team can match. So you spend CY to takeover other's studs and to protect your own. We spend any remaining CY to sign previously unsigned guys on our roster (ie drafted or picked up) just before we draft (like naming keepers in most leagues except we select how long to sign them). I realize it's complicated but it ensures a high level of round the calendar trading and turnover at the top.

We also sign two free rookies which is where harper obviously comes in. Per our rules I'll likely retain his rights for free as a rook until Mar 2014 (assuming he's not called up early enough in 2012 to lose his eligibility). ranking my present rook eligibles I'd go Mike Pineda, Des Jennings, Arolidis Chapman, Dee Gordon, Eduardo Sanchez and Shelby Miller. But I working hard to obtain Hosmer so maybe I should pursue that route rather than losing Braun to net harper and the vets?

I have an offer for Braun that I'm looking to counter as my OF will be thin without him. I need to insure I can hold onto the lead (dominating by 31 points right now) if I accept.

The current offer is Lincecum (RFA), Pedrioa (2CY) Bryce Harper (R) for Braun (RFA).
    I'll need an OF back too and am debating who'd be best between Victorino and Gardner (both free to sign). I'll likely lose Braun to RFA as players of his ilk are usually bid at 5-6 yr deals.

My current roster"
    C-Santana free to sign (US) and plan to sign*
    1B-Butler (RFA)
    2B-Utley(RFA)
    3B-Youkilis(1CY)
    SS-Tulo(4CY)
    OF1-Braun(RFA)
    OF2-Granderson (US)*
    OF3-Alex Gordon (US)
    Util/B (start 2 U) - Hill, Headley, Wallace, Matsui, E5, Kotchman, Des, Dee
    DL Crawford(1CY) Brett Anderson (RFA)

SP Lee (RFA) Liriano (RFA) Marcum (US)* Pineda (R) CJ (US) Kurodo (US) Crow (R)
    RP Valverde (RFA) Street (US) Farnsy (US) Aroldis (R)

So do I kick in someone inconsequential and ask for Victorino or Gardner (not sure who?) or do I stand pat. I don't really have holes to fill rosterwise or category wise and am up pretty big right now.

I was just surprised to see an offer including harper today ansd seeking expert advice.
    Last edited by ; 06-25-2011, 05:17 PM. Reason: to include util starting requirements

1) this offer seems ridiculously good for you so I assume that I don't understand your league structure well enough.
    2) you don't use a UT spot? so Pedroia or Utley is going to be on the bench and you're going to have to start Matsui in the OF until Crawford comes back? If you can add something to get one of those guys (they both seem pretty equivalent in terms of value, but I'd probably rather have Victorino) you probably should. Lord knows that given #1 I can't guess who it'd be though.

- Mike
    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Thanks for your answer and pointing out my ommission of Util requirements. I edited the post to show we start 2 Util. Up until Crawford's injury Alex Gordon occupied one slot and the second was matchup based and usually Hill or Headly. In short I'd be able to start both Utley and Pedrioa. One ramification is the the trade obligates most of my expected CY. I'd be spending 4 on Tulo, 2 on Pedrioa, and 1 each on Youk and Crawford. The remaining 3 would likely go to Granderson Santana and marcum next spring, meaning I won't have anything to really bid on other's RFA or match my own.

Comment

Are you required to spend the CY? I mean, if you weren't going to keep Braun anyway, it seems like this certainly isn't worse for you if you could just cut Pedroia if you felt like it.
        In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
          Are you required to spend the CY? I mean, if you weren't going to keep Braun anyway, it seems like this certainly isn't worse for you if you could just cut Pedroia if you felt like it.
          The contracts are binding unless a player officially retires or passes away. Someone is on the hook for future CY even if a player is cut. It prevents guys from putting in bogus RFA bids.

Comment

I am not sure I am understanding this correctly. It looks like given your position of being in 1st place by 31 points, that this makes you both solid to the end of this year and stronger down the road. It seems like a very good deal for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
              I am not sure I am understanding this correctly. It looks like given your position of being in 1st place by 31 points, that this makes you both solid to the end of this year and stronger down the road. It seems like a very good deal for you.
              I'm guess most worried about spitting up that lead. 31 points in 7x7 is more like 21 in 5x5. It's not a lead pipe lockas I've made up 60+ points in the second half myself on two separate occasions in the last 6 years. That and I had what looked to be middle of the pack pitching going in so I've made a number of trades that all whittled away some offense. Down grading McCann to Santana, losing Zobrist, Lind, Adam Jones, and Rasmus, and flipping Ethier after acquiring him, killed my depth and mandated me starting guys like Hill and Headley. I was leery losing Braun would be too much but I think I can live with the latest counteroffer:

Lincecum (RFA), Pedrioa (2CY), Victorino (US), Brantley (US), Harper (R) for Braun (RFA), Des Jennings (R), Wallace (US), and Kuroda (US).

My other minor concerns were being on the hook until 2014 if Pedrioa's knee got worse and that adding his contract will likely cost me keeping Alex Gordon and and another pitcher. Still I should accept this counter right??

Comment

Originally posted by dannahann View Post
                I'm guess most worried about spitting up that lead. 31 points in 7x7 is more like 21 in 5x5. It's not a lead pipe lockas I've made up 60+ points in the second half myself on two separate occasions in the last 6 years. That and I had what looked to be middle of the pack pitching going in so I've made a number of trades that all whittled away some offense. Down grading McCann to Santana, losing Zobrist, Lind, Adam Jones, and Rasmus, and flipping Ethier after acquiring him, killed my depth and mandated me starting guys like Hill and Headley. I was leery losing Braun would be too much but I think I can live with the latest counteroffer:

Lincecum (RFA), Pedrioa (2CY), Victorino (US), Brantley (US), Harper (R) for Braun (RFA), Des Jennings (R), Wallace (US), and Kuroda (US).

My other minor concerns were being on the hook until 2014 if Pedrioa's knee got worse and that adding his contract will likely cost me keeping Alex Gordon and and another pitcher. Still I should accept this counter right??
                I do not like the counter for you as much as the first offer.

Comment

Working...
                X