Riggleman resigns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Riggleman resigns

Riggleman celebrates getting over .500 by resigning.
    After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Weird. Maybe he really was being treated inconsequentially, but it seems like he could've shown other clubs a lot more by finishing out the season if he really ever wanted to be a manager in the big leagues again. Oh well. I'm sure it won't be hard to find someone who is interested in possibly managing Stephen Strasburg, Anthony Rendon, Bryce Harper, Ryan Zimmerman, and some other interesting talents.

Comment

He always struck me as a class act. I sure hope its that he is retiring and not something with the front office.
      After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

ESPN reports its due to displeasure with his contract situation.

Comment

He couldn't have waited til the All-Star Break There has to be more to this than a contract spat. Or I hope there is. Riggleman struck me as a really classy guy. To leave right now just has a bad smell.

As for who replaces him, it may be far-fetched, but I wonder if they would consider Pudge as a player-manager. I know he was talked-about as a possible replacement in Florida before McKeon came back.

Comment

Will obviously wait until the story is over, but he is under contract to coach the team and because Washington won't give him a long term deal (or whatever) he abandons the players he was leading into battle? Not someone i would want to run my team down the road.

Comment

"The 58-year-old had an club option for 2012 that the team had yet to pick up, and refused to do so when Riggleman issued his ultimatum. "I just wanted the option picked up. I want to make something clear: I wanted to have a conversation. I didn't say pick up my option or else. I wanted to have a conversation when we got to Chicago and they didn't want to do that.'"

"I'm 58. I'm too old to be disrespected," Riggleman later said to the Washington Post.

GM Mike Rizzo also appeared on MLB Network to explain his side of the story.

"Jim and I had a discussion before the game today and he told me of his displeasure over his contract situation and he told me if something wasn't done about the contract, he was going to resign after the game," Rizzo said. "We accepted his resignation. As you can see, it took us by surprise."

Comment

He was on FAN and said he had been asking ro discuss an extension since october and rizzo stonewalled him each time. He asked if they could discuss it on the flight to chicago. Rizzo said no so he quit. I applaud him for it. Theu made him a lame duck and he saw no matter what he did they didnt want him managing next year. Players will get over it and most could xarw less. In this day an age a lame duck mgr has no teeth in the clubhouse.

Comment

Typical of the corporate world as a whole...loyalty is a one way street. Riggleman is expected to suck it up for the good of the club, but the club has no intentions of discussing his situation, despite repeated requests. Good for him, at 58, to be able to just walk away from a job, and it is a job, is a pretty nice situation to be in.
                  "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                  - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                  -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                    Typical of the corporate world as a whole...loyalty is a one way street. Riggleman is expected to suck it up for the good of the club, but the club has no intentions of discussing his situation, despite repeated requests. Good for him, at 58, to be able to just walk away from a job, and it is a job, is a pretty nice situation to be in.

Well- I have mixed feelings about his action.
                    Based on what we have been told, He was under contract for this year - Unless there is an undisclosed health issue with him or his family - I believe he had an obligation to the team to finish the season or compete until he was released from his obligation as manager - He should suck it up and attempt to complete the mission.

I'm not a fan of quitters , especially from allegedly mature, qualified and experienced personnel.

Comment

Looks like this may end up costing McLaren his job, too, which really stinks. I'm fine for Riggleman to do whatever he wants, but if he's going to end up costing someone else their livelihood, that's pretty annoying. I hope McLaren lands on his feet (if indeed he's pushed out in DC).

Comment

Originally posted by Bodhizefa View Post
                        Looks like this may end up costing McLaren his job, too, which really stinks. I'm fine for Riggleman to do whatever he wants, but if he's going to end up costing someone else their livelihood, that's pretty annoying. I hope McLaren lands on his feet (if indeed he's pushed out in DC).
                        If they let McLaren go, it's just a petty swipe by the Nats management at Riggleman. It has much more to say about them than it does about Riggleman and his actions.
                        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                        -Warren Ellis

Comment

Working...
                        X