Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pujols exits with wrist/forearm injury (6/19)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pujols exits with wrist/forearm injury (6/19)

He got hit as Wilson Betemit was running down the line to first after a crappy throw. He was in some pretty bad pain initially, but there's no telling how serious.

A preliminary examination revealed that Albert Pujols sprained his left wrist during Sunday's game.
    If it's only a sprain, sighs of relief will be heard throughout St. Louis. Wilson Betemit ran into Pujols' extended left arm, jamming it, as the first baseman stretched for a poor throw from second baseman Pete Kozma in the sixth inning. The wrist had already started to visibly swell as Pujols walked off the field. Pujols will be examined further on Monday.
    Source: B.J. Rains on Twitter
    Jun 19, 4:32 PM

Comment

As a worried Pujols owner thoughts of Cliff Floyd have filled my head. Unfortunately, I don't lend a great deal of credence to the preliminary diagnosis.

Comment

Originally posted by mgwiz22 View Post
        As a worried Pujols owner thoughts of Cliff Floyd have filled my head. Unfortunately, I don't lend a great deal of credence to the preliminary diagnosis.
        Plus, how the hell can you see the wrist "swell visibly" unless it virtually doubles in size? No doubt that there could be a significant injury, but I'll wait until there's an actual MRI and X-Ray done before I start to panic.
        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
        -Warren Ellis

Comment

After loking at the Play i will surmise there is some sort of break.
          After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

#Cardinals' Pujols out 4 to 6 weeks with small fracture in wrist. #MLB

(from Ken Rosenthal/MLBTR)

Well, crap.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post

Well, crap.
              Dammit, just when my team was finally starting to fire on all cylinders. You knew that had to be a break-- and wrist breaks eat power for breakfast. Even when Albert is back we're likely to see a noticeably diminished power output for the rest of the year.
              "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post

Well, crap.
                Even if it is worse than reported(4-6 weeks), the Cards are going to report he will be back around the trade deadline to keep from getting fleeced even more if a trade is needed.

Comment

So do they make a move? Pick up a player on a salary dump (Derrk Lee?), trade prospects for a maybe (Ka'ahuie, Chris Davis), or just see if they can ride it out?
                  Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Comment

how does this effect pujols contract prospects in the offseason? More likely to sign with Cards now?

Comment

Oh FFS...

Comment

Originally posted by Grinch View Post
                        So do they make a move? Pick up a player on a salary dump (Derrk Lee?), trade prospects for a maybe (Ka'ahuie, Chris Davis), or just see if they can ride it out?
                        I would think if he is hurt more than reported...they would move Berkman to 1B and look for an outfielder as guys like Lee would be relegated to PH when Pujols returns.

Comment

Originally posted by fuhrdog View Post
                          I would think if he is hurt more than reported...they would move Berkman to 1B and look for an outfielder as guys like Lee would be relegated to PH when Pujols returns.
                          I think so too. They have enough moving pieces (Jay, Craig, etc) that they will probably just stick Berkman at 1B and mix-and-match in the outfield. If they do make a move it will probably be for an OF.

One thing to note, I believe Pujols can't be traded while on the DL, so while I didn't think it was likely that he'd be dealt, this should lock it up. And yeah, I think this increases his chances of going back to STL, since I think he was really only going to leave for money and this should allow them to be competitive with the market offers.

Comment

I doubt they'll make a trade since they still have talented players in the outfield with Berkman moving to 1B. I'm not sure what kind of outfielders are available in trade, but I doubt any of them would be much of an upgrade over Jon Jay, especially when salary and trade pieces are considered.

Comment

Originally posted by primetime View Post
                              how does this effect pujols contract prospects in the offseason? More likely to sign with Cards now?
                              I would think so...he just lost tens of millions of dollars. I'm sure this boosted Prince's stock as well.
                              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Working...
                              X