Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nathan Eovaldi to the Rangers

Comment

Incredible to see Texas spend like this. And they aren’t getting the reaction that Steve Cohen and the Mets did. Interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharky View Post
        Incredible to see Texas spend like this. And they aren’t getting the reaction that Steve Cohen and the Mets did. Interesting.
        Rangers haven’t even hit the luxury tax. Not in the same stratosphere as the Mets

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
          Rangers haven’t even hit the luxury tax. Not in the same stratosphere as the Mets
          Sure Ken. But they merit discussion for the sheer size and length of recent commitments to individual players, no? They spent huge on Semien and Seager. They went more years and $$ than others for DeGrom. And so on. I think it’s great to see. And it stands it stark contrast to the miserly ways of many other teams.

Comment

Sure Ken. But they merit discussion for the sheer size and length of recent commitments to individual players, no? They spent huge on Semien and Seager. They went more years and $$ than others for DeGrom. And so on. I think it’s great to see. And it stands it stark contrast to the miserly ways of many other teams.
            OK Sharky.

Your original statement was comparing the spending to the Mets, of which we've seen articles that they are "breaking the game", etc. So the tone sounded very negative in that context. Perhaps unintentional. I agree that they have changed their spending habits dramatically, and locally there's definitely a lot of talk about it.

They don't get national attention about anything (perhaps deservedly so considering how irrelevant they have been of late), but really no surprise that there isn't much pub on this.

So yes I agree, if you meant that there isn't enough positive pub on this, you're right!

Comment

Corey Kluber to the Red Sox

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                OK Sharky.

Your original statement was comparing the spending to the Mets, of which we've seen articles that they are "breaking the game", etc. So the tone sounded very negative in that context. Perhaps unintentional. I agree that they have changed their spending habits dramatically, and locally there's definitely a lot of talk about it.

They don't get national attention about anything (perhaps deservedly so considering how irrelevant they have been of late), but really no surprise that there isn't much pub on this.

So yes I agree, if you meant that there isn't enough positive pub on this, you're right!
                Yes! I think both are “good for the game” in a sense. We hear often that teams spending big are breaking the game. But we so rarely hear that teams spending nothing (pirates, marlins) or deliberately tanking (Astros, Cubs before their success) are breaking the game. Personally I think those tanking are gaming the system, not necessarily breaking it — but teams that make no real effort to spend and compete actually are breaking the game.

None of it was meant as a personal / ad hominem attack, so I’m glad you didn’t take it that way.

What part of TX? I’ve spent time in Houston for work lately.

Comment

Yes! I think both are “good for the game” in a sense. We hear often that teams spending big are breaking the game. But we so rarely hear that teams spending nothing (pirates, marlins) or deliberately tanking (Astros, Cubs before their success) are breaking the game. Personally I think those tanking are gaming the system, not necessarily breaking it — but teams that make no real effort to spend and compete actually are breaking the game.

None of it was meant as a personal / ad hominem attack, so I’m glad you didn’t take it that way.

What part of TX? I’ve spent time in Houston for work lately.
                  Agreed on the teams.
                  No offense taken at all, I agree with your post.

I'm from the DFW area, spend some time on the coast on North Padre as well. I don't go to Houston much - went through on my way to Galveston in September.

Comment

Stop the F#$%ing presses, the Marlins have broken the cherry and made their first major league signing of the offseason, inking Jean Segura to a 2-year $17M deal. Sure, it doesnt make a ton of sense on a team with Jazz, Wendle and Rojas, but beggars and choosers, right? I think a second move is coming to break up the jam.

Comment

• Wendle sure to be traded

Comment

• Originally posted by Sharky View Post
                        Wendle sure to be traded
                        The full writeup on mlbtr makes it seem like rojas is the odd man out. Segura plays great 2B, Jazz moves to short, wendle stays at third. Rojas only has one year left on his deal and he really cant hit enough to justify the superior defense.

Comment

• Sure but who wants Rojas? I’ve read that Boston wants Wendle. More likely the Marlins somehow shed salary.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sharky View Post
                            Sure but who wants Rojas? I’ve read that Boston wants Wendle. More likely the Marlins somehow shed salary.
                            A little insider info: Rojas called a team meeting last year and basically called out the "younger players" on the team for their attitudes and specifically called out Jazz Chisholm Jr. due to alleged jealousy. This understandably didnt sit well with a lot of the players who sided with Jazz.

Read more: https://marlinmaniac.com/2022/06/13/74435
                            Time will heal wounds, but I believe this move paves the way for Miami to simply dump Rojas even if it means pennies on the dollar. I guarantee there are teams that would be happy to take a defense-first SS like him, and the Red Sox were rumored to have asked about him earlier this winter.

Comment

• Longoria to the Diamondbacks

Comment

• Tigers trade closer Gregory Soto & Kody Clemens to the Phillies for Nick Maton, Matt Vierling & Donny Sands

Comment

Working...
                                X