No announcement yet.

2k23 Offseason Transactions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red Sox sign Justin Turner for $15M with a $7.7 option for 24. Craig Mish has already reported that Turner rejected a higher dollar offer from Miami.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
      Carlos Correa to the Giants 13 years $350 Million.
      Formal announcement postponed due to medicals? That's ominous.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
        Formal announcement postponed due to medicals? That's ominous.
        You called it…

Originally posted by Rotoworld
        Jon Heyman of The New York Post reports that the Mets have agreed to a 12-year, $315 million contract with Carlos Correa after his reported deal with the Giants fell through.

It's an overnight stunner. Correa was originally expected to be introduced as a Giant on Tuesday, but something came up with his pre-signing physical which caused the deal to fall apart. This gave Steve Cohen the opening he needed to make yet another big splash, though it's important to note that this new deal is also pending a physical. “This really makes a big difference,” said Cohen. “I felt like our pitching was in good shape. We needed one more hitter. This puts us over the top.” This is obviously a devastating turn of events for the Giants and their fans, who thought they had landed a true "face of the franchise" player. Correa will now serve as the Mets' starting third baseman alongside fellow countryman Francisco Lindor. The new deal will push the Mets' payroll to the $380 range for 2023, but Cohen doesn't seem to mind as long as he puts a winning team on the field.”

RELATED:

SOURCE: New York Post
        Dec 21, 2022 at 5:17 AM ET

2021 Auction Anatomy
        2021 Keeper Decisions
        2020 Auction Anatomy
        2020 Pre-Auction
        2015 Auction Anatomy
        2014 Auction Anatomy
        2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
        RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

Comment

I laughed when other owners “cry poor” but this morning I truly believe Cohen is destroying baseball. I have never in my life wanted to see a team win 70 games like I want this team to.

gotta feel bad for Baty especially. And Vientos. Being a prospect for the Mets means never playing.

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
            I laughed when other owners “cry poor” but this morning I truly believe Cohen is destroying baseball. I have never in my life wanted to see a team win 70 games like I want this team to.
            What is he destroying? Not following, he's buying free agents at high prices, but I'm not clear on how that hurts anything in baseball.

Comment

What is he destroying? Not following, he's buying free agents at high prices, but I'm not clear on how that hurts anything in baseball.
              Competitive balance. Their 111M luxury tax is more than almost 10 teams' full payroll. I imagine a salary cap happens because of this type of spending, since the luxury tax is not enough of a deterrent. This is just way over the top.
              But yeah, it's baseball and they can still suck I guess.
              This thing with losing the apostrophes and hard returns when you edit is driving me nucking futs on this site.

Comment

Competitive balance. Their 111M luxury tax is more than almost 10 teams' full payroll. I imagine a salary cap happens because of this type of spending, since the luxury tax is not enough of a deterrent. This is just way over the top.
                But yeah, it's baseball and they can still suck I guess.
                This thing with losing the apostrophes and hard returns when you edit is driving me nucking futs on this site.
                I don't know, it seems like the opposite to me - no need for a cap, Mets pay a huge tax which gives money to the lower payroll team which allows them to spend more money.

A cap protects the owners from themselves. Personally I'm not worried about the owners' bank accounts too much. If some of them want to spend more and subsidize another team's salary, have at it!

Comment

I don't know, it seems like the opposite to me - no need for a cap, Mets pay a huge tax which gives money to the lower payroll team which allows them to spend more money.
                  Or pocket it. No idea if this will all work out but, as a Mets fan, I’m enjoying the spending spree!

Comment

So the Giants saw something concerning enough on Correa's medicals that caused them to void a deal worth $350 mil for 13 yrs but the Mets offer a deal that is only $35 mil less for 1 yr less? I await the Mets' reaction to their medical eval of him.

Comment

I also very much want to see the Mets miss the playoffs now. And the recent Mets spending will not destroy baseball but it certainly doesnt help the economic situation. And the fact that a potential $111 "luxury tax" still doesnt dissuade a team from continuing to spend indicates that the luxury tax does not work as well as a true salary cap would.

Comment

As a Nats fan, I am LOVING this. Mets and Phils both spending massively and they can’t both win the WS (or even the pennant). Someone is gonna be a frowny-face no matter what. Best result will be if they both get bounced. Meanwhile we savor the 2019 WS title, munch popcorn, and (hopefully) reload.

Comment

Originally posted by umjewman View Post
                          Or pocket it. No idea if this will all work out but, as a Mets fan, I’m enjoying the spending spree!
                          Sure, they could pocket it too. But they could avoid increasing payroll and just pocket extra savings when you have a cap as well.

I'm just not sure I'm interested in protecting the owners from themselves. If the Mets want to blow out salaries, great.

Comment

All this spending by everyone except LA pretty much means Ohtani will be pitching for the Dodgers next year.
                            I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                              All this spending by everyone except LA pretty much means Ohtani will be pitching for the Dodgers next year.
                              When Scherzer opts out and Cano comes off the payroll, Uncle Steve will be right in the mix for Shohei!

Comment

Originally posted by umjewman View Post

https://twitter.com/kingjosiah54/sta...Misxq7Mei8szyw
                                Yeah, the pocket it part is the part I really wish would change. If a team like the Mets wants to go nuts, I don't see the harm, as long as all that revenue sharing money that goes to the poorer/cheaper teams has some kind of strings attached to it. If the low payroll teams are forced to spend more too, it makes it even harder for the rich teams to get whoever they want, so it is another way to balance things out. If I were a fan of a team with a payroll consistently under 50 mil and knew the damn team got more than that just from revenue sharing, let alone the gate and tv deals, I'd be pissed. It doesn't have to be hard floor at the major league salary level, but these owners should be required to spend the money they get from those trying to win to also try to win. Every penny of it should to go salary, majors or minors, or player development--to some kind of strategy to build towards winning.

Comment

Working...
                                X