Trade Deadline rumors and deals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
    You pointed out earlier just how horrid that Avila trade track record is, so given that, I wouldn't put anything past him, but I agree it would not make any sense and so it seems highly unlikely to happen.
    The trades made earlier JV, JD, Castellanos were all made to dump salary or there was contract expiration. When he had a chance to deal Fulmer he didn't which is why I don't believe Avila will deal Skubal unless he gets a unbelievable offer.

Comment

Originally posted by pitbull View Post
      The trades made earlier JV, JD, Castellanos were all made to dump salary or there was contract expiration. When he had a chance to deal Fulmer he didn't which is why I don't believe Avila will deal Skubal unless he gets a unbelievable offer.
      I agree that they do not trade Skubal, but did they miss the boat on Fulmer? They keep Fulmer and then he gets hurt. He went from probable ace for years to come to a quality BP arm. Would Tigers be better with the BP arm or 3-4 lottery tickets? Given that it's Avila picking the tickets I would say take the arm. My biggest fear is they say let's not let that happen again so they make a deal.

I agree one of Fulmer/Soto go but not both. Any other veteran can be moved for next to nothing however sans BP arms everyone else is having a horrible season.

Media and fans are finally starting to be vocal about the wretched job Avila has done. Scared men can do stupid things! Ownership made him slash payroll and I know that tied his hands for a number of years (he got a pass for a few years because of it), but he got nothing in trades for major players. How do you not get a top 100 prospect for JD Martinez? We have no one from the Verlander or Castellanos deals. Drafting has been horrible and who the hell have we developed.
      Its not what you've got. Its what you give.
      Its not the life you choose. Its the life you live--TESLA

Princess Kate-Kate Marie Hrischuk 9/12/00-1/27/07

Comment

I’m thinking the Mets make a play for Willson Contreras (maybe Barnhart as a consolation prize). With Alvarez on the way, a rental makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Vecmizer View Post
          I agree that they do not trade Skubal, but did they miss the boat on Fulmer? They keep Fulmer and then he gets hurt. He went from probable ace for years to come to a quality BP arm. Would Tigers be better with the BP arm or 3-4 lottery tickets? Given that it's Avila picking the tickets I would say take the arm. My biggest fear is they say let's not let that happen again so they make a deal.

I agree one of Fulmer/Soto go but not both. Any other veteran can be moved for next to nothing however sans BP arms everyone else is having a horrible season.

Media and fans are finally starting to be vocal about the wretched job Avila has done. Scared men can do stupid things! Ownership made him slash payroll and I know that tied his hands for a number of years (he got a pass for a few years because of it), but he got nothing in trades for major players. How do you not get a top 100 prospect for JD Martinez? We have no one from the Verlander or Castellanos deals. Drafting has been horrible and who the hell have we developed.
          There are debates in a Tiger group that I'm in whether the Tigers meaning Chris should fire Avila. Chris seems happy with the progress of the farm players and shows no signs that Avila job is in danger. We are now in 6 straight seasons of losing. He has not had one trade where a player is contributing in a meaningful way. Mize, Manning, Faedo all 1st round picks are hurt. Tork was rushed foolishly only having 1 year of pro ball under his belt. There is no other position player ready to come up. All of his major FA signings have been terrible with minimal success. To his credit he did draft Skubal 9th round and Greene was a no brainer. The Tigers are on track to have the worst run producing team in over 100 years and lose around 95 games. There is no clear path to winning and will take signing FA to help this team out for the future. How is it that the Cards, Dodgers, Yankees, Rays, Padres all teams with winning records have better prospects than the Tigers? None of those organizations would employ Avila. In fact if Avila was free to sign with any team as a GM I cannot see any MLB team signing him. That is my answer to should the Tigers fire Avila.

Comment

Tork was rushed foolishly only having 1 year of pro ball under his belt.
            I don't really agree. Tork wasn't a HS kid, he had 3 years in college.

With a 1.01 pick you're hoping for a generational talent and those guys succeed early. He held his own as a 21 year old in AAA, why wouldn't you promote him?

In retrospect, he wasn't ready, but does that really mean you shouldn't promote 22 year olds who have succeeded at AAA?

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
              I don't really agree. Tork wasn't a HS kid, he had 3 years in college.

With a 1.01 pick you're hoping for a generational talent and those guys succeed early. He held is own as a 21 year old in AAA, why wouldn't you promote him?

In retrospect, he wasn't ready, but does that really mean you shouldn't promote 22 year olds who have succeeded at AAA?
              If you look at how he progressed. A ball he hit well. AA was less. AAA had a low BA. This in his first year so it tells me that with better pitching at each level he did worse at the plate. I think had they left him at AAA to start this year it would have been better all around. So I don't see a .236 BA a success which what he hit last year at Toledo. I do think he will get this worked out in time but right now his confidence is shot so it might take a few weeks before the Tigers recall him.

Comment

A ball he hit well. AA was less.
                In AA ball he hit 14 bombs in 50 games with a .373 OBP and a .560 SLG. What was "less"? Feels great!

The guy was topping prospect charts and the hype was immense due to the performance. It feels like this is being reframed in retrospect.

at each level he did worse at the plate
                That's generally what you would expect, same hitter facing better pitchers.

That said, he succeeded at every level. And given the sample sizes, the performance at each level was actually within error bars of being very similar.

Obviously he destroyed A ball, a 1.01 college hitter should. He did great at AA and did well at AAA too.

AAA had a low BA. [sic] So I don't see a .236 BA a success which what he hit last year at Toledo.
                I'm having trouble following you when you are referencing batting average for a minor league hitter. That's not really a thing in player evaluation. He had a .350 OBP / .531 SLG with 20% Ks and 13% BB at AAA. That's solid, nothing at all wrong there as a 21 yo at AAA. A .233 BABIP doesn't really reflect on his talent at all (and that's what you are referencing really with your BA discussion).

The reality is that the jump from the minors to MLB is huge. Almost every player struggles. Tork struggled. That's not a knock on the Tigers' decision making process, it's just how baseball works.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                  In AA ball he hit 14 bombs in 50 games with a .373 OBP and a .560 SLG. What was "less"? Feels great!

The guy was topping prospect charts and the hype was immense due to the performance. It feels like this is being reframed in retrospect.

That's generally what you would expect, same hitter facing better pitchers.

That said, he succeeded at every level. And given the sample sizes, the performance at each level was actually within error bars of being very similar.

Obviously he destroyed A ball, a 1.01 college hitter should. He did great at AA and did well at AAA too.

I'm having trouble following you when you are referencing batting average for a minor league hitter. That's not really a thing in player evaluation. He had a .350 OBP / .531 SLG with 20% Ks and 13% BB at AAA. That's solid, nothing at all wrong there as a 21 yo at AAA. A .233 BABIP doesn't really reflect on his talent at all (and that's what you are referencing really with your BA discussion).

The reality is that the jump from the minors to MLB is huge. Almost every player struggles. Tork struggled. That's not a knock on the Tigers' decision making process, it's just how baseball works.
                  I disagree with you on how the Tigers handled him. When he was finally sent down he stated it was hard to confront and that he had dark thoughts. He lost confidence in his hitting completely. He didn't just struggle he was epically bad and the Tigers left him go on for a half a season. That not how baseball is supposed to work. He is bright young man and I'm sure he'll work through this but he was not ready to be up.

Comment

I disagree with you on how the Tigers handled him. When he was finally sent down he stated it was hard to confront and that he had dark thoughts. He lost confidence in his hitting completely. He didn't just struggle he was epically bad and the Tigers left him go on for a half a season. That not how baseball is supposed to work. He is bright young man and I'm sure he'll work through this but he was not ready to be up.
                    You're using information from today to inform a decision that was made months ago. It doesn't work that way.

Why should the Tigers have been holding him down when he had shown the ability to succeed at AAA?

Comment

Yanks acquired Benintendi for 3 MLers

Comment

Tyler Naquin & Philip Diehl traded to the Mets

Comment

Luis Castillo to the Mariners

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                            Yessssssss!!!!!! Juan Soto on deck, ha ha
                            ---------------------------------------------
                            Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                            ---------------------------------------------
                            The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                              The Mariners are acquiring Castillo from the Reds in exchange for four minor leaguers, including Noelvi Marte, Ryan Divish of The Seattle Times reports.

Comment

Damn, Noelvi Marte among the players going to Cincy. Three of SEA’s top 5 prospects going along with Dylan Moore

Comment

Working...
                                X