Traded Juan Soto, HDID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traded Juan Soto, HDID

I'm normally pretty risk averse, but I just traded Soto and wondered what folks think of my return. NL Only, 12 teams. I sit 2nd. Offense is 1st in HR/R/RBI. 2 biggest lineup holes were Sosa and Van Meter, starting all year. Pitching needed more help, Alcantara, Woodruff, Gonsolin my big 3.

I give: J. Soto $25 (thru '25) + N. Gorman (farm) + T. Davidson $2A + E. Sosa $4A + J. Van Meter $2A + C. Brogdon $1A

I receive: T. Naquin $15B + J. Wendle $13A + T. Estrada $1A + M. Rojas $1X + L. Castillo $23A + C. Kershaw $23A

Juan Soto is so much worse in BA format than OBP. With his poor team context diminishing his production this year, and the decent chance of him getting traded before 2025, I slightly soured on him. $25 is expensive enough that I felt the time was right to move on.

2 big SP upgrades, 2 big MI upgrades with Rojas $1X a decent bench option. Then hoping Naquin provides a near replacement for Soto.

Also, it's possible Estrada becomes a 2nd division starter. Much better fantasy asset than real life, with a contact oriented approach, high BA, low OBP. At $1, if he becomes a 20+ SB guy with a starting job he's gold.

Also, I have a $37 Kimbrel from FAAB, so salary cap was an issue, and moving Soto's $25 gave me added breathing room.

Happy to hear opinions, even if those opinions are that I got hosed.
    Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

I have to say I don't like the trade but it may work out. Soto is really good and his BA will rise up significantly. You also gave up Gorman who lol hit his 1st HR in his career. Naquin, Wendle and Estrada are nice players Castillo will tease you the whole year and you are gambling with Kershaw that he will be back late June and stay healthy the whole year. I think you might regret this trade but it could work out.

Comment

Maybe I'm not used to only leagues, but I think you're on the short side of this deal. Castillo, who knows. Kershaw is breaking down. The others are JAGs, maybe they're better than I think. Just keepin it real, bro.

Comment

agree with the gallery, sorry. This is a sell low...still I was expecting to see one or two major pieces coming back, but didnt. The Gorman piece also made me tilt my head.

Comment

Yeah, hate to pile on, but not a big fan of this move. If Gorman wasn't part of it I could see it, but having to give him on top of Soto, I'd have wanted more sure thing pitchers. Kershaw has been great when healthy and Castillo may finish strong, but there is risk in both of them and I'd have wanted more certainty (not that you every really have certainty with arms). It could work out, but you will need the guys you are getting to be their very best selves.

Comment

I've never played in an only league, but it seems like some of the guys you got could have a lot of value in that format. I can see how this could work for you.
            ---------------------------------------------
            Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
            ---------------------------------------------
            The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Thanks everyone! First thing I'll say is that I wanted to get more stud types. Tried going after Goldschmidt $36 + Fried $7X, but that owner was scared of both Gorman and Soto, wanted my Eury Perez, and had no MI upgrades. Lots of teams had studs, but no good MI. Also, I blame Jeff Zimmerman of Rotowire for convincing me that Gorman would fall on his face and his value would tank. If I saw his 4-4 with a double and HR game coming yesterday, I'd have waited a day and re-assessed. I could have just promoted Gorman and dealt Soto for the bats plus 1 SP maybe.

I guess I felt like my offense needed more AB, BA, and SB, given the rest of my lineup being so strong. I improved in all 3, so my counting stats should stay #1, and my 4th place BA and 10th SB will both rise.

Those bats add to my lineup (Varsho, Cron, J. Turner, Chisholm, Yastrzemski, Happ, J. Sanchez, P. Smith, E. Rios with Renfroe on DL and only 2 weak links Cain and Duvall), so I've got tons of power and production elsewhere. 6 of those are under $10 keepers (assuming Rios continues to play his way into FT role).

Pitching, I guess I love Castillo's durability, high IP/GS giving him better K's and better chances for W. Also, he was a 2nd half stud last year and I'm hoping he's kept what he figured out. Kershaw has practically zero chance to hurt me.

Also, aside from a super strong set of major league keepers, my farm is really good (Eury Perez, Lodolo, Cavalli, C. Hernandez, Baty, B. Montgomery, V. Acosta, G. Mitchell, Campusano). So I still have tons of trade bait to get another closer and upgrade Duvall.

But I am feeling a ton of regret after Gorman's big game yesterday. Should have at least offered a different prospect with Soto first.
              Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Working...
              X