Dynasty Soto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dynasty Soto

I have offered Betts and Bieber--Betts and Rondon. I know that might be ALMOST enough, but is it in the right direction and WHAT if anything would you take as an owner to get the deal across the finish line?
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
    I have offered Betts and Bieber--Betts and Rondon. I know that might be ALMOST enough, but is it in the right direction and WHAT if anything would you take as an owner to get the deal across the finish line?
    Depends on how big the league and rosters are - but probably one more star player
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
      Depends on how big the league and rosters are - but probably one more star player
      Leagues are 18-20 teams standard 23 active rosters One Obp the other Avg. 20-25 minor league rosters.

Lots of players of which Soto in only one, yet the best.
      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Yeah, I think another star player that isn't too old plus Betts/Bieber would be close without looking at it too deeply.
        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

It depends on whether the Soto owner thinks the Biebs can get back to his peak. Peak Biebs and Betts would be enough on their own, but where Biebs is at right now, I'd need another good player or elite prospect.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
            It depends on whether the Soto owner thinks the Biebs can get back to his peak. Peak Biebs and Betts would be enough on their own, but where Biebs is at right now, I'd need another good player or elite prospect.
            In dynasty I would be very conservative in assuming long term pitcher productivity and health.
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
              In dynasty I would be very conservative in assuming long term pitcher productivity and health.
              A good plan, but having an ace locked up sure is nice. But yeah, it is especially problematic when said ace has already shown decline.

Comment

Betts & Bieber is a solid start. I wouldn't do it, but it's not bad. I agree it will take another star player.

Betts & Rondon? Is this Rendon? If so, that's not close.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                  Betts & Bieber is a solid start. I wouldn't do it, but it's not bad. I agree it will take another star player.

Betts & Rondon? Is this Rendon? If so, that's not close.
                  he meant carlos rodon

Comment

Rodon or Rendon, doesnt seem close at all. I would think that a Soto deal cannot be done without a superstar young player - a Wander Franco type. Yes Betts is 29 but just doesnt seem like the same guy he was. Tossing in an older 3B or a very often injured pitcher just seems insulting for a 23-year-old who is the best player in baseball to a large chunk of people.

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                      Rodon or Rendon, doesnt seem close at all. I would think that a Soto deal cannot be done without a superstar young player - a Wander Franco type. Yes Betts is 29 but just doesnt seem like the same guy he was. Tossing in an older 3B or a very often injured pitcher just seems insulting for a 23-year-old who is the best player in baseball to a large chunk of people.
                      As the other person on this trade, it wasn't insulting but I wasnt close to accepting either

Comment

Good point on Betts. I keep expecting him to be vintage again, but it has not happened yet. At 29, it seems reasonable to expect another 3-4 seasons of peak performance, but maybe he is one of those guys that declines early off his peak. I keep thinking Bieber can get back to what he flashed too (and at 26, as an arm, he could have just as long a run of elite production as Soto, as top tier arms can sometimes age very well), but until that happens, it would be hard to give up a generational type talent like Soto with those two being the main pieces coming back.

I have a tendency to overrate guys like Betts and Bieber. Neither is over the hill. Both have been at the very top of the production mountain fairly recently. Neither has an obvious reason why it would be impossible to get back to that level of production (shoulder injuries are always scary for pitchers, but all the reports were that Bieber's recovery went very well, so it seems plausible that with time, he can get the velocity back). But on the other hand, they are not there now, and Soto is still obscenely young for his level of production. It is a deal that I think would be perceived very differently if both Betts and Bieber had come out of the gate on fire. But that did not happen and there are legit questions about exactly how good they both are right now and going forward. I'd still love to have them, but giving up a 23 year old Soto is awfully hard to do no matter the return.
                        Last edited by Sour Masher; 05-02-2022, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Dynasty Soto might be a character in the next Star Wars movie.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
                          Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
                          Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

No Insult intended--I offered what I believed to be my best hitter and pitcher for Soto and was just wondering what additional piece would be needed to get the deal done. Soto is indeed the #1 dynasty player, but Betts and Bieber are both in the top 25--Rodon (the pitcher) is indeed ranked lower, but since the beginning of the 2021 season has been one of the best arms in baseball and THE best K/9 arm so I'm probably higher on him than some. I guess I won't be acquiring Soto anytime soon eh?

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                              No Insult intended--I offered what I believed to be my best hitter and pitcher for Soto and was just wondering what additional piece would be needed to get the deal done. Soto is indeed the #1 dynasty player, but Betts and Bieber are both in the top 25--Rodon (the pitcher) is indeed ranked lower, but since the beginning of the 2021 season has been one of the best arms in baseball and THE best K/9 arm so I'm probably higher on him than some. I guess I won't be acquiring Soto anytime soon eh?
                              I could be tempted for Betts + Rodon + another top bat but I am not finding that bat

Comment

Working...
                              X