Sonny Gray for Steven Kwan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sonny Gray for Steven Kwan?

16tm deep redraft league, OBP, daily lineup changes. My hitting is really good, my pitching OK at best, and I just lost Patino & Taijuan Walker to injury. Kwan appears to be an OBP machine, and his latest projections on FanGraphs are .360ish OBP, 12-15 HR, ~60 RBI, ~70 R, 6 SB. If I trade Kwan, I would replace him with some combo of VRobles, Tellez, JMateo, Andrus or Taylor Ward.

Sonny Gray would probably be my SP3:

Berrios
    Cease
    [Gray]
    Houck
    JRyan
    Taillon
    Lorenzen
    Injured: Baz, Patino, Walker

I'm torn because while I can use Gray, he's really nothing special, and I hate selling players like Kwan high because it always backfires on me. Last year I "sold high" on Adolis Garcia and got burned.

What do you think?

That is tough. Kwan was just traded for a Kershaw in his last year, fwiw. He certainly seems legit in terms of his OBP skills, but of course he will cool down and his overall line is likely to be around that Fangraphs line you just posted. Given your need for pitching, it seems like a fair swap to me.

Comment

I would trade Kwan for Gray
      ---------------------------------------------
      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
      ---------------------------------------------
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
        I'm torn because while I can use Gray, he's really nothing special, and I hate selling players like Kwan high because it always backfires on me. Last year I "sold high" on Adolis Garcia and got burned.
        What was the return?

Given your hitting depth, it makes sense to sell Kwan. Can you get a better P back from the same team or a different one? If not, I think Gray is a decent return given your needs.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
        Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
        Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Originally posted by virgonomic View Post
          What was the return?

Given your hitting depth, it makes sense to sell Kwan. Can you get a better P back from the same team or a different one? If not, I think Gray is a decent return given your needs.
          I traded Adolis last April for Yadier Molina as I needed a catcher (I had Jeffers + Kirk) and thought I was selling high, but that was before 27 HRs and 10 more SBs, lol.

I rejected the deal. To me, Gray is a JAG and Kwan at least has some possibilities. He declined Kwan for Kopech, BTW.

Comment

I traded Adolis last April for Yadier Molina as I needed a catcher (I had Jeffers + Kirk) and thought I was selling high, but that was before 27 HRs and 10 more SBs, lol.

I rejected the deal. To me, Gray is a JAG and Kwan at least has some possibilities. He declined Kwan for Kopech, BTW.
            What's a JAG? You should hold out for a dela you're comfortable with.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
            Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
            Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Originally posted by virgonomic View Post
              What's a JAG? You should hold out for a dela you're comfortable with.
              JAG = Just a Guy

Comment

JAG = Just a Guy
                I think that's misused on Sonny Gray. He's not an ace by any means but he should be some fantasy teams ~5th best pitcher.

Comment

I mean, we don't really think Kwan is that special, do we? Zero power, zero speed. Great start. Sell high.
                  More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                    I think that's misused on Sonny Gray. He's not an ace by any means but he should be some fantasy teams ~5th best pitcher.
                    He went for 22 in this years AL 5x5 12 team keeper. Granted pitching was a little thin, but several people were in on the bidding.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                      Yeah, that seems about right. Nothing to get excited about.

Shandler has his rule of hot starts, or whatever he calls it, where if the player gets off to a huge start, he can have a cold stretch and his stats will still look great.

I mean, we don't really think Kwan is that special, do we? Zero power, zero speed. Great start. Sell high.
                      Special, no, but useful, yes. Especially in OBP leagues. It was a fair trade, but I'll just hold off and see what else may be out there.

Comment

As a former Gray owner, he can be frustratingly inconsistent particularly from year to year. Never know which Gray you'll be getting. Good Gray = obviously accept trade. Bad Gray = decline. I guess I don't blame you for shooting for a more sure thing. Kwan has a crazy amount of buzz right now, though, so the iron is certainly hot.
                        More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Take this with a grain of salt, but CBS has Kwan with a trade value of 5 while Gray is 2.

Comment

Take this with a grain of salt, but CBS has Kwan with a trade value of 5 while Gray is 2.
                            I don't take CBS with a grain of salt! I take them very seriously.

If CBS says Kwan has a trade value of 5 vs Gray 2, then Gray is definitely the guy to get in that trade. By about a 2.5 to 1 margin.

Comment

Anyone remember when Yermin Mercedes was Babe Ruth? Do the deal!

Comment

Working...
                              X