Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keeper Help (11-team NL-only)

5x5 (OBP instead of BA), 2 utility spots, 10 pitchers

I have severely slacked on my baseball prep this year and my keepers are due in 5 1/2 hours. I thought I had it figured out until I looked a little deeper and could use some help.

Here are my viable keeper choices, I'm allowed a maximum of 11:

1B - Pete Alonso $5
    SS/3B - Jonathan Villar $9
    3B - Evan Longoria $8
    OF - Juan Soto $25
    OF - Ian Happ $9
    OF - Dylan Carlson $5
    OF - Rafael Ortega $7
    OF - Steven Duggar $1
    P - Trevor Rogers $11
    P - Tylor Megill $1
    P - Giovanny Gallegos $11
    P - David Bednar $4

And we get one minor leaguer that doesn't count against the cap or to our keeper total but I'm thinking about keeping one extra as a major keeper from this list:
    C - Ivan Herrera $1
    SS - Marco Luciano $5
    SS - Ronny Mauricio $5
    3B - Michael Busch $1
    3B - Brett Baty $5
    OF - Brennen Davis $5

Thanks!

Definites:
    Alonso
    Soto
    Carlson
    Rogers

Minors: Keep Davis and Luciano.

Probably:
    Happ
    Duggar
    Megill
    Bednar
    Is Gallegos the closer? Not sure.

Beyond that probably pass. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Sharky View Post
      Definites:
      Alonso
      Soto
      Carlson
      Rogers

Minors: Keep Davis and Luciano.

Probably:
      Happ
      Duggar
      Megill
      Bednar
      Is Gallegos the closer? Not sure.

Beyond that probably pass. Good luck!
      Thanks for the reply Sharky. That's mostly what I was thinking but here are my thoughts on some of the iffys:

Duggar - at a buck he's obviously a decent value but I'm already keeping 3 outfielders for sure (Soto, Carlson, and Happ) and I actually think Ortega at $7 might be the better keeper
      Ortega - didn't think he would even be an option when I picked him up in September last year but his power/speed combo is pretty enticing; playing time and last year being his first success in the majors at a late age are a little troublesome though
      Villar - surprised he wasn't even considered a probably; his playing time is also an issue but even if he fits into a utility role I think his stolen bases would be worth it
      Gallegos - before Marmol threw water on the fire by talking about a committee he was considered a borderline top-5 closer so I'll bet on the talent and cross my fingers

Comment

I would be tossing back Duggar (meh) and Longoria (out 2 months). Keep everyone else. Ortega 7 is legit for an NL only. Gallegos should still get enough saves to justify 11 bucks. Davis and Luciano are good minor keepers but if I had to choose one it would be Davis (decent Ortega insurance).

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
          I would be tossing back Duggar (meh) and Longoria (out 2 months). Keep everyone else. Ortega 7 is legit for an NL only. Gallegos should still get enough saves to justify 11 bucks. Davis and Luciano are good minor keepers but if I had to choose one it would be Davis (decent Ortega insurance).
          +1

Davis is probably the best fantasy prospect there anyway.

Comment

1B - Pete Alonso $5
            SS/3B - Jonathan Villar $9
            3B - Evan Longoria $8
            OF - Juan Soto $25
            OF - Ian Happ $9
            OF - Dylan Carlson $5
            OF - Rafael Ortega $7
            OF - Steven Duggar $1
            P - Trevor Rogers $11
            P - Tylor Megill $1
            P - Giovanny Gallegos $11
            P - David Bednar $4

And we get one minor leaguer that doesn't count against the cap or to our keeper total but I'm thinking about keeping one extra as a major keeper from this list:
            C - Ivan Herrera $1
            SS - Marco Luciano $5
            SS - Ronny Mauricio $5
            3B - Michael Busch $1
            3B - Brett Baty $5
            OF - Brennen Davis $5
            Very solid list. I'm tempted to keep several of your minor leaguers, depending on the salary structure. Baty, Luciano, and Davis are all top notch but admittedly it would be tough to have them sitting on a major league bench all year. That all said, agree with the other guys - toss Duggar, keep Ortega and Gallegos, toss Longoria.
            More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
              Very solid list. I'm tempted to keep several of your minor leaguers, depending on the salary structure. Baty, Luciano, and Davis are all top notch but admittedly it would be tough to have them sitting on a major league bench all year. That all said, agree with the other guys - toss Duggar, keep Ortega and Gallegos, toss Longoria.
              Thanks guys, my inclination was the same as Bene, Ken, and Pauly, just wanted a second set of eyes. The minor league structure is that I can option them before opening day while maintaining their minors status but they would take up a majors spot for draft purposes. I'll be keeping Luciano as a major leaguer and Davis as the free minor leaguer since I'm already planning on keeping 4 of my possible 5 outfielders (Soto, Carlson, Happ, and Ortega) and even then it hamstrings me a little bit for draft purposes even though we have 2 utility spots. I can probably draft Baty as my CI or utility for less than $5 during the draft based on previous drafts so even though I'm a big fan I think I can throw him back.

Comment

I'm questioning Ortega, especially if it is hamstringing you a bit.

If he went for more than $7 at auction would you feel bad about losing him? I'm not sure that would be a painful thing.

Comment

Originally posted by harmon View Post
                  I'm questioning Ortega, especially if it is hamstringing you a bit.

If he went for more than $7 at auction would you feel bad about losing him? I'm not sure that would be a painful thing.
                  Well, too late now but doesn't mean we can't still discuss it

Due to the fact that my keeper list had very little speed other than Villar (who might not even have a full-time job) I thought it was worth it. Starling Marte was the only player not kept who had more than 20 steals last year so I'm guessing anyone projected for even 10+ steals will go for $10+.

Comment

Working...
                  X