Manaea and FAA B?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manaea and FAA B?

Sean Manaea will be in our first FAAB in our NL only 5x5.

Our FAAB budget is $100 bucks. What would you spend on him?

Anything bid over $24 cannot be dropped without paying 2X value in real money. $25 winning bid turns into $50 in real money. 50 winning bid = $100 real money.

That doesn't bother me so much as being short throughout the season.

Our rosters are 23 man plus 13 reserves for 12 teams. So we are pretty picked over. I am thinking bidding $51.

What are your thoughts on this as well as what would you be willing to spend?

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
    Anything bid over $24 cannot be dropped without paying 2X value in real money. $25 winning bid turns into $50 in real money. 50 winning bid = $100 real money.
    As an aside, rules like this are unnecessary. The downside of spending more FAAB money is having less FAAB money left. When you find your league tricking it up, they are doing it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
      As an aside, rules like this are unnecessary. The downside of spending more FAAB money is having less FAAB money left. When you find your league tricking it up, they are doing it wrong.
      Yes. That said they are the rules we must all play to. So what would you spend on Manaea?

Comment

Yes. That said they are the rules we must all play to. So what would you spend on Manaea?
        What is salary cap ?
        ---------------------------------------------
        Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

This seems like too much of a "know your leaguemates" question due to the very punitive fees for making moves. I would bet that every manager worth their salt makes a 24 bid, so how would the tie get broken? How many would historically be willing to pay such a big fee? Seems impossible to answer.

ETA: I think i misread the fees. so a bid over 24 means you have to keep him or pay the awful fee?

Seems like way too big of a risk to go over 24 anyway, but if you dont mind the fee, it doesnt matter. Personal choice I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
            What is salary cap ?
            (11.12) There is a salary cap in place at all times during the season. From Opening Day through May 31 owners may not have on their Active Rosters players whose total salaries exceed $300; from June 1 to the All-Star break the salary cap is $330; from the All-Star break through August 31 the salary cap is $360. And from September 1st until the end of the season the salary cap is $400.

We have daily moves so I can easily move $25 Morton or $34 Rodon (if they do not pitch on the same day) to stay under cap.

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
              This seems like too much of a "know your leaguemates" question due to the very punitive fees for making moves. I would bet that every manager worth their salt makes a 24 bid, so how would the tie get broken? How many would historically be willing to pay such a big fee? Seems impossible to answer.

ETA: I think i misread the fees. so a bid over 24 means you have to keep him or pay the awful fee?

Seems like way too big of a risk to go over 24 anyway, but if you dont mind the fee, it doesnt matter. Personal choice I guess.
              Yes if you keep him no fee.

The FAAB will take place the Thursday after the season begins. Ties are decided by low team in the standings. I do expect almost everyone to bid $24. I do expect one or two to go 25 or 26. It is a game of cat and mouse.

It is also a free starting pitcher for somebody. If he helps win the league the fee won't matter. To my recollection I have never bid more than 28 or29 in FAAB. But none of those were this early. These are a couple of the reasons I posted the question.

Comment

Yes if you keep him no fee.

The FAAB will take place the Thursday after the season begins. Ties are decided by low team in the standings. I do expect almost everyone to bid $24. I do expect one or two to go 25 or 26. It is a game of cat and mouse.

It is also a free starting pitcher for somebody. If he helps win the league the fee won't matter. To my recollection I have never bid more than 28 or29 in FAAB. But none of those were this early. These are a couple of the reasons I posted the question.
                If i understand you can keep him on your bench without impacting salary cap, so there would be not as much salary cap impact, and you could put him in your reserves instead of dropping him...so no reason not to make an aggressive bid as I understand it. 40 or 50 might be reasonable
                Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                  If i understand you can keep him on your bench without impacting salary cap, so there would be not as much salary cap impact, and you could put him in your reserves instead of dropping him...so no reason not to make an aggressive bid as I understand it. 40 or 50 might be reasonable
                  My thoughts as well. It just it so foreign to me to spend so much this early.

Comment

Look for a new league
                    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                      Look for a new league
                      Over a FAAB rule?

This rule was suggested, voted on, and implemented as to help with anti dumping. It was done so long ago I do not even remember how I voted.

It has caused no issues or complaints. We just all play by it.

Comment

Over a FAAB rule?

This rule was suggested, voted on, and implemented as to help with anti dumping. It was done so long ago I do not even remember how I voted.

It has caused no issues or complaints. We just all play by it.
                        yes you do. I would not.
                        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I am just curious, how many of you will have the opportunity to bid Manaea?

I understand that you might not want to post what you will bid here (competitors read it). Would you mind pming me what you might bid. I will keep it confidential and delete it after I read it.

Thank you.

Comment

Ok, so to be the first person to answer the OP, Manaea is a solid pitcher on a good team. I'd probably go 20-24 if SP was a weakness. If I thought he could win me a championship I'd go as high as 30.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
                            Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
                            Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

The problem is that this question incorporates several disparate questions.

1) How much should you bid on Manaea? In a deep league in an Only format, it's unlikely you'll have many more similarly valued players available, and combined with the fact that you get Manaea ALL year, he's a great pickup.
                              2) Given the format, what will other people bid? In this scenario it's obvious that several people will bid 24. They are incentivized to do so because of the odd rules that make 24 special. So a bid of 21 in my opinion makes zero sense. You know you will not win the bid. And a bid of 24 means you will likely tie another team
                              2a) So what are the tiebreaking rules?
                              3) How likely is Manaea to be worth keeping at the price bid upon? At >=25 it seems unlikely that he's a keeper, so you will likely be dropping him.
                              4) How good is your team otherwise? If this leads you to winning your league maybe it's worth throwing the extra $
                              5) And, this is one I dislike, how much extra $ are you willing to spend on fantasy baseball? If it's nothing to you to throw extra $ into the pot because this price point means nothing then we should analyze this question without caring about the "real money" part of the question. If, instead, this amount of money makes it so that you feel like you are wasting money on a hobby, then that's a consequential part of the equation.

I'll restate, I dislike #5. I don't like rules that punish you for playing the game monetarily. It sets it up so that some people are less likely to put in a FAAB bid because they got fired at work last week and $ is tight and you can't justify to your wife spending $102 on a hobby. This is a game and it shouldn't go there. Perhaps I'm being too dramatic, but hopefully that sheds some light on it.

But in summary, it's really hard to answer this question because there are so many variables in play. Is there a guy in your league who has a yacht, a vacation house and 3 sportscars in his garage? If so I might answer differently than if you play with a bunch of guys who are barely getting by. Which is a really weird thing for a fantasy baseball forum.

Gregg, do you care about the $ you'd end up throwing away if you cut him? If not, then we can answer this as if that rule didn't exist! And you can just money whip your league mates

Comment

Working...
                              X