CBA '21-'22 Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
    I like you guys--you are an optimistic bunch. Compared to my sky is falling friend, anyway. I wish I had hard evidence to assuage his worries, as he is obsessed with baseball and he is really down, because he is just certain baseball is doomed. But I suppose it is the nature of negotiation tactics that both sides will play hardball until they don't. They have to posture and pretend they are not all keenly aware of the ticking clock and the tremendous stakes of dragging this on, if they want the other side to give ground. I still think they are dumb enough to miss some games, but not many. I am still holding out hope for none, and I also hope they don't rush ST too much, as we all have seen how that can increase injuries.
    Soooo, you optimists still think we don't lose any games?

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
      Soooo, you optimists still think we don't lose any games?
      Yup. My prediction is still these nincompoops reach an agreement the 1st week of March, followed by 3 weeks of spring training and a delayed start to the season (my guess is 2 weeks). Any missed games will be made up through doubleheaders throughout the season.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
        Yup. My prediction is still these nincompoops reach an agreement the 1st week of March, followed by 3 weeks of spring training and a delayed start to the season (my guess is 2 weeks). Any missed games will be made up through doubleheaders throughout the season.
        A short ST scares me from an injury perspective, but it is all about the Benjamins, so I imagine they have that in the back of their minds. I do think they get this done in early March...maybe the short ST and double headers will save them from missed games, but from an injury and quality of play standpoint, it might be better to sacrifice a dozen games at that point, play 150 after giving enough time for players to ramp up properly.

In any event, it would be nice to see the owners show some sign of negotiating in good faith. They have not done that yet.

Comment

I put the over/under for # of G at 144. That would mean about 3 weeks of games are cancelled. I dont think they'll make up any. I thought from the beginning that they would get the CBA done by around late March, have about a 3-week ST and start the season the last week of April (prediction: Fri. April 22). I still would project this and I hope it's no worse than this.

Comment

Originally posted by rhd View Post
            I put the over/under for # of G at 144. That would mean about 3 weeks of games are cancelled. I dont think they'll make up any. I thought from the beginning that they would get the CBA done by around late March, have about a 3-week ST and start the season the last week of April (prediction: Fri. April 22). I still would project this and I hope it's no worse than this.
            Why wouldn't they make up any games? If they have the 7 inning doubleheaders, it's easy enough.

Comment

Anyone think the pause in PED testing will lead to a rise in PED usage in this window? I think it is a good bet. No telling who, but statistically, at least some folks will be tempted by this opportunity to get an edge.

Comment

I think we'll be missing games. At least 20-60 games, is my guess. I'm even factoring it into my drafting, less afraid of pitchers with injury risks knowing they'll be starting later with a shorter season.

I hope I'm wrong and we get a full season.
                Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Example #1, Chris Sale. He seemed a bit slower to recover last year, and I would fade him if I knew he was counted on for 32+ starts. But thinking it will more likely be 20-25 starts, with more ramp up time, gives me much more confidence he'll have his good stuff from the start, and for the duration.

Same goes for other pitchers with ongoing injury concerns. Zac Gallen is another that gets a boost if games are cancelled. I'm sure there's others.
                  Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
                    Example #1, Chris Sale. He seemed a bit slower to recover last year, and I would fade him if I knew he was counted on for 32+ starts. But thinking it will more likely be 20-25 starts, with more ramp up time, gives me much more confidence he'll have his good stuff from the start, and for the duration.

Same goes for other pitchers with ongoing injury concerns. Zac Gallen is another that gets a boost if games are cancelled. I'm sure there's others.
                    That's a really great point. Also impacts a guy like Bregman fighting to recover from the dreaded wrist surgery, too.
                    More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                      That's a really great point. Also impacts a guy like Bregman fighting to recover from the dreaded wrist surgery, too.
                      Same context, it really hurts guys like Sixto Sanchez who truly need to rehab with the club.

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                        Same context, it really hurts guys like Sixto Sanchez who truly need to rehab with the club.
                        Last I heard about that dude, he was going against his team's medical advice or something and had essentially gone rogue. It wasn't a very reassuring bit of news for those rostering ol' Sixto.
                        More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                          Last I heard about that dude, he was going against his team's medical advice or something and had essentially gone rogue. It wasn't a very reassuring bit of news for those rostering ol' Sixto.
                          Maybe he consulted Forrest Whitley
                          ---------------------------------------------
                          Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                          ---------------------------------------------
                          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Working...
                          X