rant, nl 12to

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rant, nl 12to

NL 12to. trade went down. inactive out of it team, who has no interest in returning, and zero interest in participating, posted trade block. 40 minutes later:
    inactive team gets F Peralta
    team in 2nd gets:
    R McMahon
    Madbum
    Paddack
    B Reynolds
    M Yaz

How gross. Yes I am in in 1st, having given away in month after month, trade after trade, my 1st rd farm pick, plus keepers Jazz Chisholm, B Rodgers, N Hoerner, T Gonsolin, farm Z Veen, N Gonzales, N Gorman, G Mitchell to slowly crawl into 1st

But hey, all I needed to do was trade F Peralta,
    I quit

Depending on your league setup and salaries of these players it's hard to know just how gross this deal is or isn't. In a vacuum Peralta is the most valuable player.

Having said that - over the years I became so disillusioned with bullshit trades in my league that I was in for 30+ years that I finally pulled the plug a couple of years ago and now really enjoy the online no trading league formats. I wish I had done this many years before I did and encourage you to go this route if your league's trades are really annoying you.

Comment

we have vetoed ONE trade in my league that started in 1984 (it was mid-1980s, offseason, and it turned out that the 'dumb' team would have won the 1 on 1 trade the next season so that Commish said 'never again.')

I have been Commish of this league for the last 20 years, and never once even considered trying to exercise any veto power - luckily, it's a great group of owners.

here...... I'd politely ask the Peralta buyer if he would mind laying out his thought process.

the response likely would be interesting - if there is one.

I'd also politely ask the receiving owner if this seems like a legit deal (agreed that sometimes league parameters make trades seem more or less lopsided).

if I got no response or a "tough titties" response from either or both - well, if the league Constitution allows for it, I'd veto the trade.

another approach on that front is to ask owners, privately or publicly, to make offers that might be better. if multiple offers seem undeniably better - that tells the whole league something.

"rant" is a great word - any of us would need to vent after that one.
      assuming you are NOT the Commish, I'd recommend sleeping on it, then asking the Commish if he would consider the ideas above.

if he says hell no - well, then yes, maybe this is a bridge too far.

I guess we here could benefit from a little more info on league dynamics, if you would like to share any. best of luck.
      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by harmon View Post
        Depending on your league setup and salaries of these players it's hard to know just how gross this deal is or isn't. In a vacuum Peralta is the most valuable player.
        Yup, this. A buddy of mine runs a 12-team NL only team that I help him out (he's a microbrewer, so I get free beer), and the bottom four guys are all on expiring contracts, McMahon is on a 16A and Freddy is on a 4B. In this case, would I (like gcstomp) be absolutely PO'd that some inactive manager had a treasure trove of guys he could deal and didn't even give me a chance to make an offer? Yup. Big time.

But would it be a veto-able deal? Nope.
        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

As a bit of clarity to my rant: Long time league, I am in around my 20th year. I have as far as I can remember, never posted a rant about a trade, and there have been plenty of bad, or lopsided, or nonsensical trades over the years. That is not the point. The inactive out of it owner who posted a trade block, and then 40 minutes later had emptied vault to the team in 2nd, is a 2nd year owner. It is someone I brought into league, then had a falling out, and we have not spoken in a year. I am pretty certain person has zero interest in returning next year, and has not managed team, not communicated with other people who tried reaching out for weeks and months.

I would not suggest any trade be overturned or vetoed, I do not think our league even has a mechanism for such a thing. It is assumed we are all adults trying to better our teams in some way, and not trying to spitefully spike another team and then disappear next year. Although if owner were asked, he would admit he could have easily made a real rebuilding effort and responded to a couple of people over the months, and had an actual base of players in return for next year as opposed to sabotage. I am not suggesting anything be done. I just feel I am entitled to a rant in this singular case of extreme horsepoop.

Comment

You're always welcome to rant! And this one deserved it, for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by gcstomp View Post
              As a bit of clarity to my rant: Long time league, I am in around my 20th year. I have as far as I can remember, never posted a rant about a trade, and there have been plenty of bad, or lopsided, or nonsensical trades over the years. That is not the point. The inactive out of it owner who posted a trade block, and then 40 minutes later had emptied vault to the team in 2nd, is a 2nd year owner. It is someone I brought into league, then had a falling out, and we have not spoken in a year. I am pretty certain person has zero interest in returning next year, and has not managed team, not communicated with other people who tried reaching out for weeks and months.
              The plot thickens...
              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

with this scenario, as a Commish I do think I would get in touch with the offending owner.

I'd ask him why he made a trade only 40 minutes after he posted his intentions, whether he fielded any other offers, and to be honest about whether this trade was made specifically to spite another owner. and most importantly, if he intends to return next year.

depending on the replies, I could then see getting in touch with a couple of other longtime owners to talk about a possible veto.

unfortunately, there is a point in any league where a veto could be necessary. we haven't come close in more than 30 years, as I noted, but that doesn't mean it's impossible.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

I was recently (prior to 2020) in that league and as I recall there were several trades made quickly. Don't know if it was 40 minutes after posting but they occured within the same day. Seems an awful lot to give up for one player. I assume there were other players thrown back. The league also has a fairly tight cap space unless that changed. Did you let the commish know? I would be thinking that this is a possible veto but would want more facts. Hope this gets worked out.

Comment

pit, you missed the point of the rant, if you thought it was because a trade was made same day. In this league, over the near 2 decades I have been in, I would guess I have made dozens of same day trades. The context is important.

It was 5 players for 1, no other players involved. I am not following why I would let commish know. Know what? As league, we do not veto or overturning trades and I was not suggesting that. My post was a rant, I was not seeking resolution, I was seeking to vent that An "inactive out of it team, who has no interest in returning, and zero interest in participating" decided he wanted the 1st place team, who he had a falling out with, to lose. It would have been maybe an hour of half hearted open channel opening emails from the several teams, who have tried and failed for months to get a response from him to have made a better return, if his goal was to max improving his own team.

Comment

pit, you missed the point of the rant, if you thought it was because a trade was made same day. In this league, over the near 2 decades I have been in, I would guess I have made dozens of same day trades. The context is important.

It was 5 players for 1, no other players involved. I am not following why I would let commish know. Know what? As league, we do not veto or overturning trades and I was not suggesting that. My post was a rant, I was not seeking resolution, I was seeking to vent that An "inactive out of it team, who has no interest in returning, and zero interest in participating" decided he wanted the 1st place team, who he had a falling out with, to lose. It would have been maybe an hour of half hearted open channel opening emails from the several teams, who have tried and failed for months to get a response from him to have made a better return, if his goal was to max improving his own team.
                      Apologize, I didn't express myself well. That is bad trade though and understand your frustration. There was a trade vetoed in the 1st year of that league.

Comment

ultimately depends on the dynamic of a league, I suppose. I can't imagine this ever happening, but if it did, I suspect we would collectively feel a need to take drastic measures.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

I would not suggest any trade be overturned or vetoed, I do not think our league even has a mechanism for such a thing. It is assumed we are all adults trying to better our teams in some way, and not trying to spitefully spike another team and then disappear next year. Although if owner were asked, he would admit he could have easily made a real rebuilding effort and responded to a couple of people over the months, and had an actual base of players in return for next year as opposed to sabotage. I am not suggesting anything be done. I just feel I am entitled to a rant in this singular case of extreme horsepoop.

I think this is uncomfortable for me as I put myself in your position as I read your rant. It angers me that someone would want to hurt the league as a parting gift.

Part of my closure on this is to think what I would do given the details you presented. I will spare you that as it is your rant.

Rant away. I hope it turns out well for you and your league.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                            I think this is uncomfortable for me as I put myself in your position as I read your rant.
                            And here I thought you were going to say: "Well, he still did better than Jed Hoyer".

Comment

As a follow up, which no one wants or asked for, let me say I am cool with everything and everyone. I kind of love that our league has the no nanny state tough nuts aspect of no crying in baseball.

I questioned my own pov voice as I had to keep pointing out in posts i was not, nor have I ever, asked for a trade be overturned. But update, our deadline was aug 15th. And boy the 2nd place team swamped me in the bodies he acquired on deadline, acquiring Jorge Mateo (dead contract as he was traded out of league but you can still play him this year), F Lindor, David Price, Nolan Arenado (gulp), Max Scherzer (I mean...), Zach Wheeler (come on!) etc . I mean, this was a glorious swamping overkill in a 12 tm NL.

I am losing about .5 point a day of lead, so in next 2 weeks I will lose lead for good to the unstoppable, inevitable push by the evil 2nd place machine to overtake our heroes (yea me), the 1st place team who stupidly overpaid in trade after trade who wanted to be more than fair, in giving up blue chip farm to get incremental improvements. The fool! I will of course put up what resistance I can. If my dl monsters, Degrom/Kershaw can come back for a few weeks I can hold off the march of the Lizard King. maybe

Read the room. This is just a game. Laugh at the moving parts. TY for listening.

Comment

Working...
                              X