Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for Commissioners

Hey all,

My league has one of those owners that fails to see that the league is bigger than any one manager. It's a keeper league with 40 man rosters, 25 active and 15 bench. At one point he accidentally released a player instead of reserving the player. He did not notice this for two weeks. When he finally did notice he asked for the player to be put back on his team. Problem is that since it was such a long time that player was already picked up by another team. He was told that he's out of luck. He's since complained about it sporadically for several weeks. What does he want us to do? Take the player off the other team, give him back the player he waived? What if that player is a third team? You can see the ramifications of this. He thinks we should blow up the league cause he made a mistake. No concept that he needs to be accountable for his own actions. I should point out that he did this a few days prior with another player, but noticed it right away and we fixed it for him. But two weeks later? No chance.

Tell me I'm right and this guy is crazy.
    I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

I am not a Commissioner but he should not expect these transactions to be reversed. 2 hours yes, 24 hours probably, two days or longer, nope.

If you wanted to be more than fair, you could take a league wide vote and if it was unanimous turn it back. If one person says no it should be no.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
      I am not a Commissioner but he should not expect these transactions to be reversed. 2 hours yes, 24 hours probably, two days or longer, nope.

If you wanted to be more than fair, you could take a league wide vote and if it was unanimous turn it back. If one person says no it should be no.
      The problem is we have daily transactions. How do you update the roster? Does the team that picked up the player have to have the player they waived active? That's not fair. I would have fixed his mistake all the way up to before free agent bids are processed, with the player on the bench.

The guy is out of luck and has been acting like the child he is. This is typical behavior by him. He refuses to take any accountability for his actions. We are all here just to make his life easier. The kicker is, he didn't notice that the particular player was missing, he figured it out when he made a FAAB pickup and accidentally reserved a player instead of releasing (the opposite of the original problem) them and wondered why he did not have 41 players. Initially he wanted us (me and the other co-commissioner) to "investigate" what happened. Uh no. You figure your own shit out. He tracked it down and then just said "please fix." He didn't say, I'm sorry I screwed up but could you please fix this. Now I'm just venting because I've refrained from responding to him cause I will rip him a new one.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

I AM a Commish and the correct answer is, DON'T TAKE THE BAIT

the problem with wrestling with a pig is... you get muddy, and the pig likes it.

just let him know that there is nothing you can do. and if you like, ask him if he would like a league-wide vote on it (but be careful if you think he might win, which is unlikely).

if he threatens to leave the league, so be it. we had this happen 20 years ago, and we haven't lost an owner since (except the one who passed away last year).

a night of heavy drinking also works for some Commishes to erase the nuisance - but ask your doctor if that, like Graterol, Luzardo, Naquin, Melancon, Floro, or Lodolo, is right for you.
        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

I am a commish in multiple leagues, including RJEL, and we had a very similar issue last month with an owner, who I will call "Schmornsby".

For 7 days, "Schmornsby" had not realized that he didn't place Luke Voit on his IL but had accidentally dropped him. He didn't realize his error until after he was claimed by someone else.

We agreed it was a mistake and the other team was gracious enough to give him back to "Schmornsby."

In this case, since he was already on the other team for such a long period of time, there's no way I would allow that to be changed.

Comment

Hahaha schmornsby

Comment

Nothing to add about what to do (but you knew what to do already -- or what not to do). Maybe this seems trite, but something that can be done for next season is adding a clause to the rules, something like, "The commissioner will reverse all obviously inadvertent drops until <<fill in the blank per your league settings>>.
              Follow me on Twitter @ToddZola

Comment

I thought this was in every constitution:
                13.1. The decision of the Commissioner supersedes the rules herein and is final in any disputes. He also has the power to change a rule with an unforeseen loophole after the fact for the benefit of the league. The overall good of the league as a whole will be greater then the benefit to any sum of its constituents.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                  I am a commish in multiple leagues, including RJEL, and we had a very similar issue last month with an owner, who I will call "Schmornsby".

For 7 days, "Schmornsby" had not realized that he didn't place Luke Voit on his IL but had accidentally dropped him. He didn't realize his error until after he was claimed by someone else.

We agreed it was a mistake and the other team was gracious enough to give him back to "Schmornsby."

In this case, since he was already on the other team for such a long period of time, there's no way I would allow that to be changed.
                  I've talked to "Schmornsby" and he wanted to thank you all for placing such a valuable player back on his team...a 26 dollar Voit, oy.

Seriously, it was a very nice gesture by Mike to allow me to reclaim him. But it was only a few hours, not days or weeks, so no damage could be done to the league or the standings.

I agree with the others, a few hours, maybe a day, but no reclaim to longer than that.
                  "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                  - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                  -Warren Ellis

Comment

Classic Schmornsby
                    More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                      Seriously, it was a very nice gesture by Mike to allow me to reclaim him. But it was only a few hours, not days or weeks, so no damage could be done to the league or the standings.

That’s a six-pack of good beer fee in our league. To both the owner who returned the player AND the commissioner.
                      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                        Classic Schmornsby
                        LOL. Good ol' Schmornsby.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                          That’s a six-pack of good beer fee in our league. To both the owner who returned the player AND the commissioner.
                          Blatz?
                          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                          -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                            Blatz?
                            I said “good beer”.
                            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                              I said “good beer”.
                              Schiltz?

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Working...
                              X