Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trade Deadline Winners and Losers

2021 WINNERS/LOSERS OF THE TRADE DEADLINE
    Well, a lot of outlets do a winners/losers review, so I thought I’d toss mine out there for discussion. Like Bene Futuis noted – this was a great deadline for baseball fanatics as there was action just about everywhere. Of course, the “just about” is important….

BIGGEST LOSER: COLORADO ROCKIES

Reality says the Rockies won’t compete in 2021 or even 2022. A really good GM would have found an inventive way to offload Charlie Blackmon. A decent GM would have found a way to get value for Jon Gray. GITH and I could have slammed half a dozen Ballast Point’s, argued about politics, drank more beer, and found a deal for Trevor Story that exceeded a compensation pick. And then had a good cigar.

And that doesn’t even count not finding a home for CJ Cron earlier, too.

BIGGEST WINNER: LOS ANGELES DODGERS

They cashed in some big chips, and it’s certainly possible that in just a few years, we’ll talk about the Josiah Gray deal like the John Smoltz deal. But they landed a top-end starter and a stud SS for a year and a half, minimum, and made their pitching staff stronger for the season in not just adding Scherzer, but also Danny Duffy. This team has prodigious resources, and knows how to use them. They’re going to be an absolute beast for any team to get by, and that even assumes the scumbag who will remain unnamed doesn’t come back.

LOSER: ST. LOUIS CARDINALS

So the Cards dealt for two ancient lefties who are both being pounded for 5+ ERAs, and will pay an additional roughly $4 million for the privilege of doing so. And gave up a much younger pitcher who was serviceable as a RP in 2018 and 2019, though admittedly has greatly outpitched some awful peripherals as a SP this year. And then Mozeliak had the gall to state the Cards had upgraded their team while not giving up any top prospects. I guess the last part is honest and accurate.

WINNER: SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS

I like what they did – Bryant covers 3B as long as Longoria is out, then moves to the OF, and Tony Watson is a pitcher they know well, and his velocity has been gradually increasing over the past couple of months. Canario has potential, but he’s not even universally agreed as a top-ten Giants prospect.

LOSER: CHICAGO CUBS

I’ll give them credit for having a plan. Plan execution…well, not so much. So, they dealt away these players since the start of the year: Yu Darvish, Kris Bryant, Anthony Rizzo, Javier Baez, Craig Kimbrel, Andrew Chafin, Ryan Tepera, Trevor Williams, Joc Pederson, and Jake Marisnick. That’s an ace, a MVP candidate, quality veteran 1B/SS, a closer who re-found his dominant form, and two serviceable RPs.
    For all this quality dealt, the Cubs received one maybe top-five prospect (Vizcaino), two marginal top-ten prospects (Canario and Espinoza), a high-contact, low-power young 2B, and two younger RPs. Sure, there’s a lot of quantity, but given the high-level players dealt, that’s a paucity of quality.

WINNER: WASHINGTON NATIONALS

I counted a restock of at least ten minor leaguers, but with their teardown, they managed to land two top prospects in Keibert Ruiz and Josiah Gray. And they managed to dump Jon Lester on the Cards for Lane Thomas. Thomas is cheap and fast, though he hasn’t hit a lick this year so far. The only thing they couldn’t do is dump Patrick Corbin’s contract, but that would have been miracle work. Juan Soto has to be wondering what he did to deserve this, but rebuilding around Juan Soto is a pretty good start.

LOSER: SEATTLE MARINERS

One can argue that Diego Castillo is an upgrade to Kendall Graveman, though Graveman sure has been impressive. And Abraham Toro is inexpensive with years of control. But to be as clueless as DiPoto was concerning the clubhouse impact with a team with some chance of a wild card – and not making any other significant moves – moves this into the loser category for me.

WINNER: NEW YORK YANKEES

Fixed the lefty-deficient lineup in a big way with Joey Gallo and Anthony Rizzo. Both bring different skill sets to the table, with Rizzo still being a high-contact, high OBP, though modest power hitter. And he’s solid defensively at 1B. Gallo is a three-true outcome guy, and his dead pull tendencies are favored in New York. Plus, he’s an absolute defensive stud – IMO, defensive metrics don’t tell the whole story on him. Everyone talks about his arm, but he gets great jumps and has very good range for a big man. Andrew Heaney has an xERA/FIP that’s much better than his base numbers, and he’s a lefty, but his flyball tendencies worry me. But the young guys just haven’t proven they’re ready, so I get why the Yankee went this way.
    However, the Yankees didn’t get much in the way of bullpen help. And they gave up a lot of depth and players who appeared to be rising up in their ranks. But, overall, this is a team where “rebuild” is just not in their vocabulary, and they went out and landed most of the help they needed.

LOSER: SAN DIEGO PADRES

Sorry, GITH, but man, your competition landed some key help, and the Friars just didn’t keep up. It certainly wasn’t terrible, and this is only a slight loss. I do like the Daniel Hudson deal; if you can’t get a premium starter, get a premium reliever and try and shorten the game. But they just needed more.

MAYBE: ATLANTA BRAVES

They rebuilt their OF with a lot of mix and match parts. Maybe a change of scenery will improve Soler’s dismal performance to date. But RichRod has seen a big drop in spin rate with the elimination of sticky stuff, and his results have been down significantly since then. He may not prove to be the bullpen droid the Braves were looking for.

WINNER: MILWAUKEE BREWERS

I have this down lower as I’m not sure the Brewers did enough, but Eduardo Escobar is a great get, with multi-position flexibility and power the Brewers badly need. Norris can sop up some innings, and potentially help Brent Suter’s load go down. John Curtiss is a really great get – he’s under team control until 2025, and gives more bullpen help to a taxed group.
    Nor did the Brewers give up any highly valued prospects to get any of these players. I’m just concerned it’s not enough to keep up with the arms race from the West.

WINNER: TORONTO BLUE JAYS

Jose Berrios and major bullpen help shows the Jays are going for it. The only reason they’re down lower is other than the Dodgers, they paid most dearly for it. But they’ve upgraded their pitching for a good run, and it just may be good enough to get them to the World Series.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

I can't argue with your assessment given what the competition did--Both SF and LA improved in areas of need. Padres got better, but weren't willing to go the extra mile (deal any of the top 5 prospects) and got outbid for Gallo, Max (though it seems max preferred LA to SD) and Berrios. Seems like GMs are gonna make Preller pay after a year and a half of getting his way.

It was a painful 24 hours, first the disappointment of the deadline and then Tatis.

Hope they can gird it up and grind through it.
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
      2021 WINNERS/LOSERS OF THE TRADE DEADLINE
      Well, a lot of outlets do a winners/losers review, so I thought I’d toss mine out there for discussion. Like Bene Futuis noted – this was a great deadline for baseball fanatics as there was action just about everywhere. Of course, the “just about” is important….

BIGGEST LOSER: COLORADO ROCKIES

Reality says the Rockies won’t compete in 2021 or even 2022. A really good GM would have found an inventive way to offload Charlie Blackmon. A decent GM would have found a way to get value for Jon Gray. GITH and I could have slammed half a dozen Ballast Point’s, argued about politics, drank more beer, and found a deal for Trevor Story that exceeded a compensation pick. And then had a good cigar.

And that doesn’t even count not finding a home for CJ Cron earlier, too.

BIGGEST WINNER: LOS ANGELES DODGERS

They cashed in some big chips, and it’s certainly possible that in just a few years, we’ll talk about the Josiah Gray deal like the John Smoltz deal. But they landed a top-end starter and a stud SS for a year and a half, minimum, and made their pitching staff stronger for the season in not just adding Scherzer, but also Danny Duffy. This team has prodigious resources, and knows how to use them. They’re going to be an absolute beast for any team to get by, and that even assumes the scumbag who will remain unnamed doesn’t come back.

LOSER: ST. LOUIS CARDINALS

So the Cards dealt for two ancient lefties who are both being pounded for 5+ ERAs, and will pay an additional roughly $4 million for the privilege of doing so. And gave up a much younger pitcher who was serviceable as a RP in 2018 and 2019, though admittedly has greatly outpitched some awful peripherals as a SP this year. And then Mozeliak had the gall to state the Cards had upgraded their team while not giving up any top prospects. I guess the last part is honest and accurate.

WINNER: SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS

I like what they did – Bryant covers 3B as long as Longoria is out, then moves to the OF, and Tony Watson is a pitcher they know well, and his velocity has been gradually increasing over the past couple of months. Canario has potential, but he’s not even universally agreed as a top-ten Giants prospect.

LOSER: CHICAGO CUBS

I’ll give them credit for having a plan. Plan execution…well, not so much. So, they dealt away these players since the start of the year: Yu Darvish, Kris Bryant, Anthony Rizzo, Javier Baez, Craig Kimbrel, Andrew Chafin, Ryan Tepera, Trevor Williams, Joc Pederson, and Jake Marisnick. That’s an ace, a MVP candidate, quality veteran 1B/SS, a closer who re-found his dominant form, and two serviceable RPs.
      For all this quality dealt, the Cubs received one maybe top-five prospect (Vizcaino), two marginal top-ten prospects (Canario and Espinoza), a high-contact, low-power young 2B, and two younger RPs. Sure, there’s a lot of quantity, but given the high-level players dealt, that’s a paucity of quality.

WINNER: WASHINGTON NATIONALS

I counted a restock of at least ten minor leaguers, but with their teardown, they managed to land two top prospects in Keibert Ruiz and Josiah Gray. And they managed to dump Jon Lester on the Cards for Lane Thomas. Thomas is cheap and fast, though he hasn’t hit a lick this year so far. The only thing they couldn’t do is dump Patrick Corbin’s contract, but that would have been miracle work. Juan Soto has to be wondering what he did to deserve this, but rebuilding around Juan Soto is a pretty good start.

LOSER: SEATTLE MARINERS

One can argue that Diego Castillo is an upgrade to Kendall Graveman, though Graveman sure has been impressive. And Abraham Toro is inexpensive with years of control. But to be as clueless as DiPoto was concerning the clubhouse impact with a team with some chance of a wild card – and not making any other significant moves – moves this into the loser category for me.

WINNER: NEW YORK YANKEES

Fixed the lefty-deficient lineup in a big way with Joey Gallo and Anthony Rizzo. Both bring different skill sets to the table, with Rizzo still being a high-contact, high OBP, though modest power hitter. And he’s solid defensively at 1B. Gallo is a three-true outcome guy, and his dead pull tendencies are favored in New York. Plus, he’s an absolute defensive stud – IMO, defensive metrics don’t tell the whole story on him. Everyone talks about his arm, but he gets great jumps and has very good range for a big man. Andrew Heaney has an xERA/FIP that’s much better than his base numbers, and he’s a lefty, but his flyball tendencies worry me. But the young guys just haven’t proven they’re ready, so I get why the Yankee went this way.
      However, the Yankees didn’t get much in the way of bullpen help. And they gave up a lot of depth and players who appeared to be rising up in their ranks. But, overall, this is a team where “rebuild” is just not in their vocabulary, and they went out and landed most of the help they needed.

LOSER: SAN DIEGO PADRES

Sorry, GITH, but man, your competition landed some key help, and the Friars just didn’t keep up. It certainly wasn’t terrible, and this is only a slight loss. I do like the Daniel Hudson deal; if you can’t get a premium starter, get a premium reliever and try and shorten the game. But they just needed more.

MAYBE: ATLANTA BRAVES

They rebuilt their OF with a lot of mix and match parts. Maybe a change of scenery will improve Soler’s dismal performance to date. But RichRod has seen a big drop in spin rate with the elimination of sticky stuff, and his results have been down significantly since then. He may not prove to be the bullpen droid the Braves were looking for.

WINNER: MILWAUKEE BREWERS

I have this down lower as I’m not sure the Brewers did enough, but Eduardo Escobar is a great get, with multi-position flexibility and power the Brewers badly need. Norris can sop up some innings, and potentially help Brent Suter’s load go down. John Curtiss is a really great get – he’s under team control until 2025, and gives more bullpen help to a taxed group.
      Nor did the Brewers give up any highly valued prospects to get any of these players. I’m just concerned it’s not enough to keep up with the arms race from the West.

WINNER: TORONTO BLUE JAYS

Jose Berrios and major bullpen help shows the Jays are going for it. The only reason they’re down lower is other than the Dodgers, they paid most dearly for it. But they’ve upgraded their pitching for a good run, and it just may be good enough to get them to the World Series.
      I've actually come around on the Mariners moves. Graveman was a FA and they got Castillo with more years of control. Toro has some potential. From a casual fan's perspective maybe it hurts to lose Graveman....but the M's were never going to go anywhere this year, I think the moves are a good thing for the franchise future.
      ---------------------------------------------
      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
      ---------------------------------------------
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
        I can't argue with your assessment given what the competition did--Both SF and LA improved in areas of need. Padres got better, but weren't willing to go the extra mile (deal any of the top 5 prospects) and got outbid for Gallo, Max (though it seems max preferred LA to SD) and Berrios. Seems like GMs are gonna make Preller pay after a year and a half of getting his way.

It was a painful 24 hours, first the disappointment of the deadline and then Tatis.

Hope they can gird it up and grind through it.
        MLB network radio loved their moves. They added depth, improved their late inning defense and added a shutdown arm.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
        Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
        Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Great write up chance

Comment

Originally posted by virgonomic View Post
            MLB network radio loved their moves. They added depth, improved their late inning defense and added a shutdown arm.
            In a vacuum, I love the moves, but if the goal was to catch or pass LA, well then I feel they missed the mark.

Thier pick up of frazier proves timely with Tatis going down. It softens the blow a little
            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
              Great write up chance
              Thanks! In retrospect, probably should have given the Jays a little more love, and the Twins did pretty well in rebuild mode. But it was fun to writeup.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                Thanks! In retrospect, probably should have given the Jays a little more love, and the Twins did pretty well in rebuild mode. But it was fun to writeup.
                Typical cheesehead clownery...leaves the real winners of the trade deadline off the list entirely. Wait until 2025! Maybe division champs Minnesota Twins! Wild card contender for sure!
                "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                -Warren Ellis

Comment

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Wow. I thought Oakland was a big winner.

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                      Wow. I thought Oakland was a big winner.
                      That's a good challenge. Marte is clearly going to help them, but that price could end up really high.

I've admittedly been Gomes-ified in the past; seen him go ice-cold too often to trust him. Harrison is quality depth. I like the gains Chafin has made in control, but I'm not sold he's .210 BABIP good.

But I should have at least put them in the MAYBE area.

Comment

The Dodgers both got and gave up a great deal. If Schertzer and Turner win them the world series then they are winners if not they could be deemed losers. They are loaded with talent but weren't they already?

Comment

Working...
                        X