• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Albies or Laureano

At first this looks like a classic sell high buy low trade but
    check out rest of year stats
    last year stats
    current stats

they both are #2 hitters with boppers behind them (sxcept Albies might bat 5 sometimes)

we use OBA not avg - 5 x 5

Laureano has stolen more bases than 21 teams so far and wont keep up that pace but even a fraction of that pace is solid

Should I still trade Laureano for Albies (positions dont matter)?

Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
    At first this looks like a classic sell high buy low trade but
    check out rest of year stats
    last year stats
    current stats

they both are #2 hitters with boppers behind them (sxcept Albies might bat 5 sometimes)

we use OBA not avg - 5 x 5

Laureano has stolen more bases than 21 teams so far and wont keep up that pace but even a fraction of that pace is solid

Should I still trade Laureano for Albies (positions dont matter)?
    that is a really interesting question, and I wish i had something to offer. Look forward to seeing what people have to say
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
      that is a really interesting question, and I wish i had something to offer. Look forward to seeing what people have to say
      Hopefully it gets real answers here- I posted on CBS fantasy sports baseball on facebook and the only thing I learned is - don't post there because there are many answers of "it is vetoable trade" or "collusion" so not a lot of educated answers

Comment

Putting SBs aside, it's a classic buy low sell high. BABIP tells that story pretty nicely, .370 BABIP for Laureano, .139 for Albies will both regress to career norms IMO.

As for Laureano's SBs? Heck, I don't know why he's decided to run 70% of the time that he gets on base, but I can't imagine that's sustainable either.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
          Putting SBs aside, it's a classic buy low sell high. BABIP tells that story pretty nicely, .370 BABIP for Laureano, .139 for Albies will both regress to career norms IMO.

As for Laureano's SBs? Heck, I don't know why he's decided to run 70% of the time that he gets on base, but I can't imagine that's sustainable either.
          I think the SB question is the heart of the matter. We can't put it aside....just like he can't run 70% of the time he gets on base. So what is realistic moving forward ?
          Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

personally I think 40 SB - maybe even 45 - is absolutely in play with Laureano. Why would they tell him to slow down, that team can barely hit and needs to manufacture runs. I dont know if I would trade albies for him yet, but they should encourage him to keep running.

Comment

I'm not trading a player with an ADP of 33 for one with an ADP of 128 after 10 games, sorry. There's a reason why those ADPs reflected the type of player they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                personally I think 40 SB - maybe even 45 - is absolutely in play with Laureano. Why would they tell him to slow down, that team can barely hit and needs to manufacture runs. I dont know if I would trade albies for him yet, but they should encourage him to keep running.
                40-45 feels high for a guy who has never stolen 14. I understand he's already at 8, but I think we need to keep the small sample in mind.

He's going to regress in OBP which means he'll be on base less.

The A's have not been a high SB team in recent years. Laureano's sprint speed has gone from 29.1 to 28.5 to 27.9 to 27.7 f/s over the last 4 years. He hasn't been among the top 100 in sprint speed in a year since 2018. It just feels like this is going to catch up to him soon, he'll get thrown out a couple times if he keeps this up and then he'll get the stop sign.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                  I'm not trading a player with an ADP of 33 for one with an ADP of 128 after 10 games, sorry. There's a reason why those ADPs reflected the type of player they are.
                  It's the opposite question though, would you trade ADP 128 for 33

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                    It's the opposite question though, would you trade ADP 128 for 33
                    Ahhh, good catch.

I'm usually the guy who falls for keeping players after hot starts, only to see them come back to earth.

If Laureano is his only real speed source, I'd think twice. Otherwise, I'd do it.

Comment

I think it is fair to adjust ADP even with SSS info early in the season, in some cases, and the green light and overalll bounce back for Ramon warrants a reassessment of value for him. But Albies is a proven stud and I'd take him in a heart beat over Laureano, even though I have seen enough from Ramon to belief 2020 was the blip, and he can be what he showed in 2019 with more steals. But Ken's BABIP stats highlight the regression due. I'd bet if you redrafted today, they would be a lot less than 95 picks apart, but Albies would still go ahead of him by a good bit, and should.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                        If Laureano is his only real speed source, I'd think twice. Otherwise, I'd do it.
                        In a second. Classic small sample size trade - Albies is getting sold low; his small sample BABIP is about .140.
                        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                          In a second. Classic small sample size trade - Albies is getting sold low; his small sample BABIP is about .140.
                          Feels like you can't be second when you repeat what I said the previous page but I applaud you for the effort

Comment

Doesn't that in fact make him second?

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                              Doesn't that in fact make him second?
                              I mean, I tend to count revo too, but I understand board admins get a bad rap and some overlook them

Also he said "in A second" which I completely whiffed on the first time I read it so I'm the dummy!

Comment

Working...
                              X