Drafting Over Zoom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cool hand View Post
    I've been contemplating the pros/cons of using the CBS online auction format. I'd prefer to do a straight zoom style auction.

In our normal format, we sit in a predetermined order based on standings, and go around the circle when a player has been nominated. I.e., if a guy is brought up for $4, the guy next to him has the first opportunity to bid $5, and so on. Another feature of our style is, once you decline an opportunity to bid a player up, you are out for that player. You can see where this format can have a huge effect on draft strategy, particular in the end game when money is tight.

I havent yet come upon a means of retaining this format that I think will be effective, both in keeping the order, and in tracking who is in or out on a player, over the zoom style format. We all kind of police that last part in a live draft.

I'm leery of using the CBS auction as it seems a bit fast paced, and kind of a free for all. It would alter the dynamics of a league that's been doing it this way for 25+ years. We may have to go that route, though.
    You can set the nomination timer and the bid timer to go slower...it functions quite well. We had an auction last night and there was only one rollback, which is really good.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
      You can set the nomination timer and the bid timer to go slower...it functions quite well. We had an auction last night and there was only one rollback, which is really good.
      One thing I don't like about online drafts from the big sources (CBS/ESPN/etc) is that they are tailored to the casual fan. They reward a lack of preparation by showing stats and injuries/news/etc right there in the app. Why spend time prepping when you can just wait until someone is on the clock and you immediately see 75% of the information you need to make a decision. While the owners who are more prepared do have an advantage, some of that is eliminated.

For a casual league, it's probably better - if I'm playing with someone brand new to fantasy I'd want them to have a shot. For the more expert leagues I don't like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
        When is your draft?
        4/2. We typically draft the first Friday of the season.
        One league, 28 years, 9 championships. AL 4X4

Current Lineup:

Ohoppe 2 Jeffers 5 JRamirez 39 Vaughn 16 WFranco 15 Semien 26 Lowe 5 Rengifo 6 R Lewis 10 Alvarez 39 Carpenter 10 P Lopez 6 G Rodriguez 5 Ragans 5 Holmes 10 JDuran 10

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
          I would definitely slow down the clocks. I still have reservations about the quickest reaction time getting the best bargains late in the game.
          One league, 28 years, 9 championships. AL 4X4

Current Lineup:

Ohoppe 2 Jeffers 5 JRamirez 39 Vaughn 16 WFranco 15 Semien 26 Lowe 5 Rengifo 6 R Lewis 10 Alvarez 39 Carpenter 10 P Lopez 6 G Rodriguez 5 Ragans 5 Holmes 10 JDuran 10

Comment

does CBS automatically end the bidding if the team who has the bid can't be outbid? If I remember right we had a lot of "here we go again waiting 20 seconds for the clock to run while no one can bid" moments.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
              does CBS automatically end the bidding if the team who has the bid can't be outbid? If I remember right we had a lot of "here we go again waiting 20 seconds for the clock to run while no one can bid" moments.
              If I understand your question...yes. If everyone has 1 buck, you will win the player you nominate, ASAP.
              "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
              - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
              -Warren Ellis

Comment

I'm curious, how much would custom draft software be worth? For example, Given ~a week I can possibly produce draft software that will do what @cool hand needs.

I know a lot of people use CBS, which has the draft software built in (with some pros and cons). So maybe it's so niche that it's not worth it.

If worth even just a little on the side I could possibly help out.

This year I'm a little constrained b/c I'm building it specifically for 2 of my leagues potentially and my focus is there. But there's potential I could assist if there's enough demand.

Comment

Working...
                X