What to do? Loaded with SP in NL-only, 5x5 league draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do? Loaded with SP in NL-only, 5x5 league draft

Heading into the draft in my 10-team, NL-only, 5x5, draft league (no $$), I'm top loaded with quality pitchers.

Here are my 10 keepers as of today: Bellinger, Marte, Suarez, Goldschmidt, Bohm, Bauer, Nola, Gallen, Carrasco and Burnes, with Musgrove on the bubble. Since league historically heavily favors position players over pitching, was considering pairing a couple of SP in a trade for everyday player, particularly since I cannot get fair value for pitching. But now I'm not sure. With my current staff, other than grabbing a reliever or two, I have the ability to concentrate on positional players in the draft .

What say ye Penners? Any suggestions?

Originally posted by Falcon View Post
    Heading into the draft in my 10-team, NL-only, 5x5, draft league (no $$), I'm top loaded with quality pitchers.

Here are my 10 keepers as of today: Bellinger, Marte, Suarez, Goldschmidt, Bohm, Bauer, Nola, Gallen, Carrasco and Burnes, with Musgrove on the bubble. Since league historically heavily favors position players over pitching, was considering pairing a couple of SP in a trade for everyday player, particularly since I cannot get fair value for pitching. But now I'm not sure. With my current staff, other than grabbing a reliever or two, I have the ability to concentrate on positional players in the draft .

What say ye Penners? Any suggestions?
    Who are the top few hitters and pitchers who are you are expecting to be available in the draft?
    Based on your list alone, yes I'd package 2 of those pitchers for a hitter.

Comment

Are you only allowed 10 keepers?

If so, Musgrove should be in your (and everyone else's) top 10, so yes on a 2 for 1.

Comment

Originally posted by harmon View Post
        Are you only allowed 10 keepers?

If so, Musgrove should be in your (and everyone else's) top 10, so yes on a 2 for 1.
        That's a pretty strong keeper list for a 10-team NL only, especially if Marte is Starling. I agree with Harmon on a 2-1, and I'd even be willing to overpay on pitching for hitting for a quality SS or OF. I wouldn't even rule out a pitcher and a CI in a deal for a hitting upgrade if it'll free up a CI slot going into the draft.
        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Actually, I'd keep your pitching and concentrate on bats in the draft.

Comment

Originally posted by BigJonEmpire View Post
            Actually, I'd keep your pitching and concentrate on bats in the draft.
            IMO the problem with that is you are throwing away Joe Musgrove in a league where the top ~100 NL players will be unavailable.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
              Who are the top few hitters and pitchers who are you are expecting to be available in the draft?
              Based on your list alone, yes I'd package 2 of those pitchers for a hitter.
              I would like to know this as well.

Comment

IMO the problem with that is you are throwing away Joe Musgrove in a league where the top ~100 NL players will be unavailable.
                Sure but he doesn't need Musgrove. Trading two of those ptchers for anything less than a first round bat is worse than putting Musgrove back in the draft.

Comment

Sure but he doesn't need Musgrove. Trading two of those ptchers for anything less than a first round bat is worse than putting Musgrove back in the draft.
                  If you package Musgrove with another of your keepers for an improved keeper, I'm not seeing the downside in a trade??

It's like saying I have $5 in my pocket but since I don't need it today I should throw it in the trash.

Comment

If you package Musgrove with another of your keepers for an improved keeper, I'm not seeing the downside in a trade?? It's like saying I have $5 in my pocket but since I don't need it today I should throw it in the trash.
                    But your idea is to trade your competitor two fives for six.I can dig my extra five back out of the trash and have ten.

Comment

But your idea is to trade your competitor two fives for six.I can dig my extra five back out of the trash and have ten.
                      If you are worried about giving 1 competitor an extra *last* keeper that you were about to throw away, you're doing it wrong IMO.

You can't dig your $5 out of the trash you threw it away. It now costs you an hour of work to get that back (your draft pick).

Comment

If you are worried about giving 1 competitor an extra *last* keeper that you were about to throw away, you're doing it wrong IMO. You can't dig your $5 out of the trash you threw it away. It now costs you an hour of work to get that back (your draft pick).
                        How is it better to give your competitor an extra keeper if it costs you far more than you get in return? If thegame is to get the most value - giving your opponent four extra dollars for one does not help you.

Comment

How is it better to give your competitor an extra keeper if it costs you far more than you get in return? If thegame is to get the most value - giving your opponent four extra dollars for one does not help you.
                          In *any* trade you are improving a competitor. By this logic you wouldn't ever trade?

But you are playing against 9 competitors not 1. Outside of niche cases where there are 1 or 2 great keeper lists you should not ever focus on what the other team is doing, if you can improve your own team you should do it.

Comment

[QUOTE=Ken;398908]In *any* trade you are improving a competitor. By this logic you wouldn't ever trade? But you are playing against 9 competitors not 1. Outside of niche cases where there are 1 or 2 great keeper lists you should not ever focus on what the other team is doing, if you can improve your own team you should do it.[/QU

In a trade the competition is between the traders.you want five back for your five (if you can't get more). You never want to trade an opponent even a miniscule advantage. A trade has tohelp both equally or helpyourself more or you are really doing it wrong. If I trade two fives
                            I want ten back or more. I will not take six.

Comment

Don't know about giving four for one, but I'd give up extra total value to a team with a weak keeper list to net improve my keeper list.
                              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Working...
                              X