OMG - He Didn't

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OMG - He Didn't

He did. We are in keeper declarations. One of the players just threw these four back in

Joe Musgrove
    Tyler Mahle
    Jose Urquidy
    Chris Bassitt

Musgrove might be one of the first five taken when we get to the draft. The only one that was a close call at the price was Urquidy. The others should be no-brainers.

Before anyone asks, he's been playing in this league for over a decade. Normally, he keeps players he should throw back.

Edit: Musgrove did not go in the first five picks after keepers, but Urquidy did, 4th overall. That makes eleven rounds before where he could have been kept.

J
    Last edited by onejayhawk; 02-21-2021, 07:11 PM.
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

No !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Yeah. I would have traded his staff straight across for mine. His were young. Mine are old.

It's going to be easier drafting an IF, because some mid-round picks will be snapping these up earlier than he could have kept them.

J
      Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Okay, what kind of league is this? Can't be an only league with those guys. And they are all meatballs except for Urquidy. This must be massively deep. Who did he keep instead?

Comment

It's a 16 team league with three keepers and an option system based on previous year acquisition cost. 480 players rostered.

He didn't keep anyone. He declined to pick up their option, so he doesn't pay the draft pick.

The only pitcher he kept was Julio Urias, which I can't fault. He has some good offensive pieces--Betts, Rendon, Corey Seager, Kyle Tucker, Eloy Jimenez--but little depth.
          Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
            It's a 16 team league with three keepers and an option system based on previous year acquisition cost. 480 players rostered.

He didn't keep anyone. He declined to pick up their option, so he doesn't pay the draft pick.

The only pitcher he kept was Julio Urias, which I can't fault. He has some good offensive pieces--Betts, Rendon, Corey Seager, Kyle Tucker, Eloy Jimenez--but little depth.
            I am confused. How could he keep all those guys with three keepers. And really, how does releasing meatball pitchers matter? His keepers make sense--all good.

Comment

I am guessing with options at least 300 players are "kept." Otherwise, Musgrove would go at about 150th. Of course, I have owned him in his shitty years and think he belongs anywhere but an MLB rotation.

Comment

unless this is about ted cruz, this is some next level vague-posting.
                I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                  I am guessing with options at least 300 players are "kept." Otherwise, Musgrove would go at about 150th. Of course, I have owned him in his shitty years and think he belongs anywhere but an MLB rotation.
                  OneJ can confirm, but I think you have it about right. LOL on Musgrove - he's one of those pitchers I've always liked, but one or two other managers have loved him as a sleeper and taken him before me. In most cases, I've been happy that happened.

Bassitt is a very serviceable SP in league of that depth, too. I don't think he's 2.30 ERA good, but 3.50/1.2 WHIP and maybe a little upside with that cutter he's developed ain't bad.
                  I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                    More like 225, but probably 120 of the top 150 and almost half the remaining are RP. The default rankings put Musgrove at #138 and SP goes fast. Maybe top five is overstating it, but probably top 10.

The options are like a draft version of cost increasing each year, specifically four rounds. The pick that could have had Musgrove is around #200 and depletion makes the pool worse than that would indicate.

BTW Urquidy was on my radar, so thanks for the confirmation.
                    Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Urquidy was on someone else's radar. He went before the likes of Kyle Hendricks and Zack Wheeler--and Joe Musgrove, of course.

J
                      Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                        unless this is about ted cruz, this is some next level vague-posting.
                        Hmmmm...a quick search doesn't mention Mexico or a dog left home, so I think it is not Ted Cruz related.
                        Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

So, have you picked yet, and if so, who'd you get?
                          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

I just picked. The league had issues associated with managers in Texas having no power.

Believe it or not, 15 picks in, Jose Altuve (ADP #89) was still on the board.

With eight of the ADP top 100 in the starting queue, I get one of them at #15, and it's a needed position. Brandon Lowe is eligible at 1B, 2B, OF, MI, CI and Util. I have two picks, in rounds 8 and 9. I hope that one will be a SS of some description, but BPA most likely. Below is the revised lineup.

Are there any players outside the top 200, who are decent shot at making the top 80 next year? For example, McKensie Gore's owner got tired of waiting. Senzel, Benintendi, Berti, Lux, McMahan are all in the pool, not to mention some retreads. I have to wait 30 picks to find out.

C - Carson Kelly
                            1B - Brandon Lowe 1B, 2B, OF
                            2B - Altuve, Jose 2B
                            3B - Jeimer Candelario 1B, 3B
                            SS -
                            MI - Eduardo Escobar 2B, 3B
                            CI -
                            OF - Ronald Acuņa
                            OF - Luis Robert
                            OF - Leody Taveras
                            OF -
                            Util -

SP - Garrit Cole
                            SP - Carlos Carrasco SP, RP
                            SP - Charlie Morton
                            SP - Lance Lynn
                            RP - Josh Hader
                            RP - Liam Hendricks
                            RP -
                            P - Hyun Jin Ryu
                            P
                            P

BN - Wander Franco
                            BN - Jo Adell
                            BN - Alex Kiriloff
                            BN - x5
                            Last edited by onejayhawk; 02-25-2021, 04:21 PM.
                            Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

The owner in OP just posted in the commentary thread.

Originally posted by i
                              I'm kicking myself for all the pitchers I dropped. I suppose I should have checked Yahoo ranks before I made my keeper list? The short season seems to have really highly valued some people more than I would have thought. Live and learn!
                              Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Working...
                              X