12-team mixed keepers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12-team mixed keepers

12-team mixed 5x5 with OBA and Slug replacing BA and HRs. We also use W+QS rather than Ws.

I think I'm set with my top eight but the last two are a tough call.

Swanson 6A
    Gleyber 14 (O22)
    Devers 15B (thinking of extending one year to 20)
    Soto 28 (O22)
    Meadows 5B (might just let this one play out rather than extend)
    Kershaw 25B (not planning to extend)
    Flaherty 12 (O22)
    Woodruff 1B (planning to extend two years to 11)

McCullers 5A (considering he'd be my 4th SP, seems like a good idea)
    May 2A (was a no-brainer before they signed Bauer, but now who knows how many starts he'll get?)
    Jose Ramirez 48A (he'll likely go for more in the auction but I already have Devers at 3B)
    Harper 46A (likewise)
    Kepler 2B (cheap but I don't think he'll go for significantly more after last season)

Any insights would be helpful, TIA
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

I'd go cheap with McCullers and May. 6th starters get plenty of starts over the course of a season. Not much has changed for their plans with May, imo.
    More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
      I'd go cheap with McCullers and May. 6th starters get plenty of starts over the course of a season. Not much has changed for their plans with May, imo.
      I'd do this too.
      ---------------------------------------------
      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I'd keep McCullers and Jose Ramirez. In your league, Ramirez is a true 5-cat stud, and even with the Indians rebuilding, he should still pile up impressive counting numbers. I'd happily fill my 3B and CI slots with Devers and JRamirez.

Agree on the Devers extension, and would give Meadows a mulligan for last year, and extend him one more to 10.
        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

In a 12 team mixed a 6th starter is typically below replacement level right? Man I'd having trouble wanting to "keep" one.

The context is important here. When players like Urquidy, Bassitt, and Marco Gonzalez should be around replacement level, there's not much added value in May, if any, and the uncertainty makes it difficult for me to rationalize him as a keeper.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
            I'd keep McCullers and Jose Ramirez. In your league, Ramirez is a true 5-cat stud, and even with the Indians rebuilding, he should still pile up impressive counting numbers. I'd happily fill my 3B and CI slots with Devers and JRamirez.

Agree on the Devers extension, and would give Meadows a mulligan for last year, and extend him one more to 10.
            You like Woodruff for two more?
            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
            - Terence McKenna

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
              I'd personally extend Woodruff 1, but I'm pretty conservative on extensions under the "I can probably find another keeper by then" philosophy.

Comment

I was leaning Ramirez and McCullers, but I posted on MB and Zola said Harper is a "no-brainer". Having Soto, Ramirez, Harper and Devers is a hell of an offensive foundation.
                - Terence McKenna

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                  In a 12 team mixed a 6th starter is typically below replacement level right? Man I'd having trouble wanting to "keep" one.

The context is important here. When players like Urquidy, Bassitt, and Marco Gonzalez should be around replacement level, there's not much added value in May, if any, and the uncertainty makes it difficult for me to rationalize him as a keeper.
                  Yeah, a 12 team league does make May less desirable and Ramiriez more so.
                  Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                  The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                  George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I was leaning Ramirez and McCullers, but I posted on MB and Zola said Harper is a "no-brainer". Having Soto, Ramirez, Harper and Devers is a hell of an offensive foundation.
                    I sure wouldn't argue with keeping JRamirez and Harper, but let's say you wanted all three. I suspect JRam could go as high as 60 (maybe even more), Harper for 48-52, and McCullers for 10-14. I just think you'd pay less for getting Harper back on your team.

OTOH, you're really sharp, so the odds of you finding a pitcher who can deliver McCullers like value for 5 is really good, while a Harperish commodity probably isn't available.

Comment

Curious, where are these numbers coming from? They don't really match player values unless there's extreme inflation. In a 12 team mixed, Harper and JoRam should be going for ~30, not 60. It seems weird to quote numbers like 48-52, without inflation context those numbers seem way off.

Comment

If it were me and Ramirez/Harper would go for significantly more at auction, I would keep both. I personally would not extend Woodruff and I would toss Kershaw back at that price, go into the draft with a very dynamic offense and two front-line pitchers for 13. If you still want Kershaw, I suspect he wouldnt go for much more than 30 anyway.

Comment

The only context we have for this league so far is that Jose Ramirez went for 48 last year and Harper for 46. I'm not seeing a league where Jose Ramirez goes for 60.

Comment

I'd only go one more, but that's my pitcher bias. Hard to argue you'd get good value out of a 2-year extension. Flaherty and Woodruff for $23 through 2022 is likely a very strong top of the rotation.

Comment

In addition to keeping McCullers and May, I would only extend Woodruff one year. Not loving Meadows and wouldn't give him an extension at all.
                              More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Working...
                              X